No announcement yet.

My Golde Top

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Golde Top

Hi folks. I'm new here and a proud owner of a 1960 Golde top.I've owned it for 4 or 5 years now and love cruising.From what I have learned it is one of 6 that was made with a kilometer speedometer and German information plate under the hood and a German insignia on the grill.Apparently it was born black but sometime during its life someone repainted it red with a red and white interior.I love the present color combo but sometimes think it should be put back to original.Any thoughts? I'll post some pics.
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

My Golde Top

Hi William, that is interesting that it has a kilometer speedometer, a German information plate under the hood, and a German insignia on the grill! I am wondering if this might have been a special order Tbird. Alan Tast and "Fuz" Johnson might have some interest in this!

As for putting it back to the original color, that is entirely up to you. What does the Data Plate say about the interior color? I wonder if it was black and white? If you like the color combination it is now, stay with it. If you want to make it an all original car, then you have a paint job and possibly an interior restoration facing you. Plan on spending a considerable amount of money on those two items alone for an excellent paint job and interior restoration.

As for posting pictures, we would love to see a good clear show of the Data Plate and of course, the car, engine, trunk, interior, any documentation regarding those items you mentioned, etc.. See my welcoming comments to you on how to post pix on this Forum in New Members Welcoming Forum.
    Last edited by YellowRose; August 6, 2012, 11:14 AM. Reason: Additional comments

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Thanks Ray.Yes ,my info tells me it was a special order by someone in the Canadian government or military stationed in Germany.My daughter in law (she is German) is trying to trace the last German registration for me. It has a red and white interior now and she is a beauty so yes I think I'll leave it red

Comment

Door pillar data plate reads body- 63A, color-A , trim-84, date-16E, trans-4, axle-3. VIN is 0Y71Y158319

Last edited by simplyconnected; August 7, 2012, 03:44 AM.

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

My Golde Top

Hi William, you can send your pix to me and I can post them for you. I just checked the Tbird Registry www.tbirdregistry.com to see if your VIN # has been registered in the Registry by a previous owner. It has not. You might want to register it there. Joh Rotella is gathering information on every surviving, crushed or parted out Tbird he can so we will know what has happened to them.

Your Data Plate tells me your Golde Top left the factory as a 2 Dr Hardtop (63A), with a Raven Black paint job (Paint Code A), an interior of Beige Tan/Light Tan Leather (Trim Code 84), a rather unusual interior scheme, I would think, for a Black car. The date indicates it was scheduled for production on the 16th of May, 1960. It could have been made earlier or later than that depending on if they were behind or ahead of schedule. The Trans Code 4 tells you it had a Cruise-O-Matic tranny in it, with a 3.10 Axle (Code 3).

So, according to the figures you gave me, that was what she was the day she left the factory. http://www.tbird.org/DataPlate/vdata.htm You also might want to check this website for additional information regarding your Golde Top. http://automotivemileposts.com/tbird...lections.shtml

You should look and see if you can find your ROT Sheet (Rotation Sheet) also called the Build Sheet. When they finished building the car, instead of getting out of it to discard this flimsy piece of paper they used to put the car together from, they often stuck it in the back seat springs, or back rest springs, in the front seat springs, in the center console, in the glove box, up under the dash, or under the carpet. If you can find it, it is an important piece of paper to have. It will tell you for sure that your Tbird left the factory as a bona fide Golde Top and not one that someone converted after production. Here is what Automotive Mile Posts has to say about this. "*Production figures for 1960 do not break out production of the Hardtop with Sun Roof. The only way to verify a car left the factory with the Sun Roof is to locate the original ROT or build sheet, which would indicate a code of "5" in the TOP section." Or find the paperwork they often taped to the window showing what all the car had on it.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• tbird430
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 18 2007

If that is a true export car, it should sport the smaller 2-barrel carb too.....
            sigpic
            The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

I don't think it was an export car in as much as it was made then exported and then sold.I believe it was a special order car that was ordered from Germany.I think the German data plates would outweigh the type of carberation as proof of this.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎