X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deanj
    Super-Experienced
    • Nov 26 2015

Interior Door Handle

I've replaced my interior door handle (actuator handle) and still these fit loosely on the post. Is there some trick for tightening the fit? I don't have the same problem with the window cranks, but anyone who uses these handles to close the door is pretty much pulling them off.

Dean
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It sounds like you might be missing the spring that goes between the inner door and door panel. Also, do you have the nylon piece that goes between the handle and the door panel.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Deanj
      ...but anyone who uses these handles to close the door is pretty much pulling them off...
      Pulling them off? Are you missing the 'E' clip on the back of the handle?

Without the clip extraction tool, all the handles should be a bugger to get off because of the clip.

John is right, you should have both the nylon 'washer' and spring. Together, they keep slight but constant pressure, pushing the door panel against the handle.

If you need any of these parts, all the vendors sell them. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Deanj
        Super-Experienced
        • Nov 26 2015

Originally posted by simplyconnected
        Pulling them off? Are you missing the 'E' clip on the back of the handle?

Without the clip extraction tool, all the handles should be a bugger to get off because of the clip.

Dave
        I double checked and I have all the hardware. The end of the handle has at least a half inch play. Before checking the end play, I was able to push it inward about a quarter inch toward the panel. There's that kind of movement.

If it is what it is, okay, but even for a 58 year old car this seems hokey.

Dean

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Is the play in the handle or in the door handle stud itself. If the stud doesn't have any play but the handle does then the teeth on the stud may be worn. Try wrapping some tape around the stud and put the handle back on. Make sure the handle is all the way on. You have to push it on pretty hard to get the clip to engage.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Deanj
            Super-Experienced
            • Nov 26 2015

Wrapped the stud with foil tape and it's better. (It's like replacing the shift detent plate. Instead of your shifter rotating 360 degrees, it just moves one space back and forth.) A rubber mallet helps to seat the handle on the stud. Time will tell. I think it's the door internals moving a bit.

Dean

Comment

• sidewalkman
              Super-Experienced
              • Sep 14 2015

Originally posted by Deanj
              Wrapped the stud with foil tape and it's better. (It's like replacing the shift detent plate. Instead of your shifter rotating 360 degrees, it just moves one space back and forth.) A rubber mallet helps to seat the handle on the stud. Time will tell. I think it's the door internals moving a bit.

Dean
              mine do the same thing, I have all the springs (new ones) and it still has play. I'll try your tip. But I think it's simply a factor of an old car.
              Scott
              South Delta, BC, Canada
              1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
              Red Leather Interior!
              www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
              Thunderbird Registry #61266
              http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢