X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mscharfie
    Apprentice
    • Sep 9 2012

Alternator

I believe the alternator was replaced with the car when it was rebuilt in 2003. It looks relatively new due to a lack of rust. Do you think that a bad ground could be the problem? If not I will pick up an alternator and voltage regulator tomorrow from pep boys.

Thanks again,
    Mike

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

If you can fabricate, I suggest you visit your local bone yard and pick up an alternator from a car or truck with an electric fan. An 'Auto-Electric' rebuild shop will change the pulleys for ten bucks. They bend over backwards and love to see classic car guys come in for help.

Unless you appreciate 'pure stock', spending a lot of money on light-duty parts doesn't make sense. New alternators already have a voltage regulator inside and they put out over 100-amps. That gives you the future option of using an electric fan on your T-bird. That's exactly what I did on our '59 Galaxie. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Mscharfie
        Apprentice
        • Sep 9 2012

Alternator

Hello again, I just bought and attempted to hook up the new alternator. I attached the three wires and tightened everything down. Then I attached the battery and suddenly the alternator started to smoke. If the voltage regulator was a part of the alternator what could be causing this?

Sorry for the trouble,
        Mike

Comment

• KULTULZ

Comment

• KULTULZ

You have a 66 BIRD with an internally regulated ALT? It should be externally regulated.

If someone has swapped alternator type, suspect they didn't upgrade the charging harness properly.

Can you provide photos?

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Maybe you misunderstood what Dave was trying to tell you. Modern car alternators have the voltage regulator inside it. He was just recommending that as an upgrade but that would require a complete rewiring of your system. Your original alternator has a separate voltage regulator on the driver side firewall. I would replace that if your new alternator is smoking too.

John
              Last edited by jopizz; October 24, 2012, 05:55 PM.
              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Mscharfie
                Apprentice
                • Sep 9 2012

Alternator pictures

Here is a picture of the original alternator before I took it out. Would you like pictures of anything in particular?

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Looks like a standard 60's-70's Ford alternator with an external voltage regulator.

John
                  John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                  jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Mscharfie
                    Apprentice
                    • Sep 9 2012

Alternator

That's good news, I will follow the procedure in the link you provided. I will update later tonight on my progress.

Thanks for the help,
                    Mike

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎