Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dementedan
    • Apr 13 2016

Almost Road Worthy

This old car has been a slow project. I'm not good at documenting and just trying to figure out as much as I can on my own.
    This weekend I installed an electric windshield wiper motor. It came off a 57 Chevy (GMC to be more accurate). Is that sacrilege? It was only $40 and I had to make the mount and it works. $40 is not bad and it still uses the original cable switch.
    Also cleaned up the headlight high beam switch which helped make the headlights work consistently. Also unseized the heater blower fan as it was seized and shorted. This inadvertently fixed itself as I was struggling to get the rat cage fan off the motor using heat, penetrating oil, and a hammer. Working is working though. More and more road worthy every time I work on it. Just don't get enough time to work on it. Anyway, I got a bit excited so I posted. Thank you everyone who posts. This site is a great community and resource.
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Dan,

Glad to see that you are making progress. Does the Chevy wiper motor mount in the same location. There's nothing wrong with using GM parts on a Thunderbird in my opinion; especially if it saves you some money.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Dementedan
      • Apr 13 2016

The wiper motor mounted in the same location but I did have to cut some of the heater venting. Actually, not sure it that's heater or AC venting right there behind and to the left of the wiper motor. It doesn't obstruct the air passage a lot though so I'll patch up the vent to work just fine.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 30 2009

My car has rear wheel openings that were taken from a 1962 Chevy C60's front fenders. That might be sacrilege.
        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎