Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tom's bird
    • Oct 2 2016

Rack and Pinion for a 58

I am considering going to a rack and Pinion steering. I have found a few posts that show owners building special mounts and installing the various pieces. Has a company come out with a kit yet to make it simple?

I don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.
  • c4clewis
    Experienced
    • Aug 18 2010

I had looked extensively up till about 2 years ago. As of then there were no kits.

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Rack and Pinion for a 58

I also have been looking again for a company that makes Rack & Pinion kits for '58-'66 Tbirds. No one does, that I know of. I have only found one or two companies who make them for the Babybirds. One company who does told me that they have not created a kit for Squarebirds because the design of the Squarebird front end does not lend itself well to doing so. Words to that effect, though they might consider doing one, if they can find a donor car to work with. But there are no immediate plans to do so. The other reason I forgot to add was what Dave said. There is hardly no demand for '58-'66 Rack & Pinion setups, so there is no money to be made. So no one makes them.
      Last edited by YellowRose; October 6, 2016, 10:08 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Tom's bird
        I am considering going to a rack and Pinion steering. I have found a few posts that show owners building special mounts and installing the various pieces. Has a company come out with a kit yet to make it simple?

I don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.
        it's true that there is no 'across the counter kit' to bolt directly on your Squarebird. Believe me, you aren't reinventing the wheel because nearly every auto parts store across the USA has rebuilt rack gears including rockauto.com. They are VERY inexpensive, tie rods and heim joints are available through speedwaymotors.com, they use 'AN' (army/navy) standard fittings and they work with nearly every power steering pump out there. My '59 Galaxie uses the pump from my '90 Mustang.

You will however, remove the original steering box and idler arm, bolted on both subframes, and use the bolt holes for your own brackets to hold a rack gear. So, some fabrication is required, but not that much. Notice that rack gears are rubber mounted. This makes mounting very easy.

The real reason you don't find a kit is because there aren't enough Squarebirds out there to make kits profitable. We ran into this with firewall brackets for power brake boosters. I figure around two or three of our members actually do this conversion each year. Nobody will make tools to stamp out two parts per year. But hey, isn't that what 'restoration' is all about? I marvel when I see the custom work done on our cars in Australia and New Zealand, where they are far removed from our resources and shipping is through the roof. Good on you, mates. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yadkin
          Banned
          • Aug 11 2012

A decent "how to" should be easy enough to do.

Comment

• OX1
            Super-Experienced
            • Feb 10 2016

I think the last pump I would use would be a 80's ford pump. They work well enough, but many times whine loudly when there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. Rebuilds seem to be a crapshoot on fixing the whine, also. I use a standard Saginaw pump over the ford all day long.

Originally posted by simplyconnected
            it's true that there is no 'across the counter kit' to bolt directly on your Squarebird. Believe me, you aren't reinventing the wheel because nearly every auto parts store across the USA has rebuilt rack gears including rockauto.com. They are VERY inexpensive, tie rods and heim joints are available through speedwaymotors.com, they use 'AN' (army/navy) standard fittings and they work with nearly every power steering pump out there. My '59 Galaxie uses the pump from my '90 Mustang.

You will however, remove the original steering box and idler arm, bolted on both subframes, and use the bolt holes for your own brackets to hold a rack gear. So, some fabrication is required, but not that much. Notice that rack gears are rubber mounted. This makes mounting very easy.

The real reason you don't find a kit is because there aren't enough Squarebirds out there to make kits profitable. We ran into this with firewall brackets for power brake boosters. I figure around two or three of our members actually do this conversion each year. Nobody will make tools to stamp out two parts per year. But hey, isn't that what 'restoration' is all about? I marvel when I see the custom work done on our cars in Australia and New Zealand, where they are far removed from our resources and shipping is through the roof. Good on you, mates. - Dave
            59-430-HT

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Originally posted by OX1
              ...They work well enough, but many times whine loudly when there is absolutely nothing wrong with them...
              If you hear one whine, it's probably old and worn out.
              None of them whined for years after leaving the factory and I can't say one brand is any better than another. I've heard all brands whine, usually when the fluid is contaminated with black debris from the pump vanes.

If my auto parts store sells one that whines they will gladly take it back. Oh and, mine is quiet. It has never been serviced since 1989. I drove it through the 5.0-HO, the 351W and now the Y-Block, flawlessly for over 200k miles. - Dave
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• OX1
                Super-Experienced
                • Feb 10 2016

Yes, some of the factory originals don't whine (my 86 Capri bought new just started with 86K miles). Many of the crappy remans do. You can find 100's and 100's of threads of fords whiney PS pumps, even when not needing service or new fluids.

Anyway, if you are going to custom fit a pump, no reason not to use a sag. Even ford did on many apps, like their HB cars.

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                If you hear one whine, it's probably old and worn out.
                None of them whined for years after leaving the factory and I can't say one brand is any better than another. I've heard all brands whine, usually when the fluid is contaminated with black debris from the pump vanes.

If my auto parts store sells one that whines they will gladly take it back. Oh and, mine is quiet. It has never been serviced since 1989. I drove it through the 5.0-HO, the 351W and now the Y-Block, flawlessly for over 200k miles. - Dave
                59-430-HT

Comment

• Yadkin
                  Banned
                  • Aug 11 2012

I have a Sag on mine because that's what March uses on their serpentine systems. It's the only pulley on the system that wobbles.

Comment

• OX1
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Feb 10 2016

Originally posted by Yadkin
                    I have a Sag on mine because that's what March uses on their serpentine systems. It's the only pulley on the system that wobbles.
                    But does it whine
                    59-430-HT

Comment

• Yadkin
                      Banned
                      • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by OX1
                      But does it whine
                      No, that would be my daughter when I ask her to do the dishes...

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎