Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

O'Reilly's is ok for a straight forward rebuild, but many transmissions need other parts that are not included in those kits. The kits rarely include clutch parts or brass bearings.

For that stuff, you need a transmission parts distributor. A good one that carries quality torque converters, pumps, etc.

I hope you find one in your area and I hope you establish yourself with him. My trans guy had a whole sun gear assembly for a E4Od that slipped right in the C6. Now, first gear is 20% lower and second is 15% lower without changing the third gear ratio or rear end gears. 20% more torque at the light is a vast improvement on a Squarebird.

Take lots of pictures as you go. There will always be that one angle you need to see, but didn't take a picture of. (just say'n).

I hope your trans business takes off with flying colors.
    Oh, BTW, what did you find when you took the COM apart? - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yadkin
      Banned
      • Aug 11 2012

O's kit has the clutches and the steels included in the "master rebuild kit".

What I found was that the front bushing on the forward pump, actually a pressurized plain bronze bearing, is badly worn. The second bearing is also scored. This was causing the input shaft to wobble and thus, leak through the front seal.

I called my friend Buster and he ordered the bearings for me. I'll be picking them up at his shop south of Charlotte tomorrow.

Here's what the bell housing and tail shaft look like after powder coating with "superchrome".

Dave, in your opinion, should I grind the coating off the rear mating surface of the bell housing? Brad doesn't think that is necessary.
      Attached Files

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

That's the most beautiful case I have ever seen! Where's the transmission? Seal that aluminum with clearcoat. OOPS, I see now that it's powder coated. Nice...

I agree, most mechanics wouldn't clean unnecessary surfaces because time is money. There's nothing wrong with a good wire wheel job, just to get mating parts clean. (Cover exposed 'holes' and wear tight-fitting goggles.)

I'm so glad you didn't slap a master kit on bad bearings. Some 'rebuilds' don't include the shift shaft O-rings because well, those are too difficult to do with that detent in the way... Then, they wonder why a fresh overhaul leaks.

Good job, Steve. A thorough overhaul requires fine detail and lots of cleaning, which takes time. $1,500 (or more) is reasonable for a good job with a 2-year warranty. My trans guy, Randy Carron, signs his initials, month and year on each of his transmissions (in an area you cannot see without a mirror). That way if paperwork is lost, he still recognizes his work. I hope to send work your way from my good friends in the South. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yadkin
          Banned
          • Aug 11 2012

Brad was working on the gear case on Monday, last time I was in the shop. Since it's iron he had to prime it first. It will be powder coated gloss or flat black, whatever color we have more of.

Comment

• Yadkin
            Banned
            • Aug 11 2012

He just sent me a picture of the gear box.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Yadkin
              Banned
              • Aug 11 2012

Well it took a while between those pesky paying customers, but Robert put it all back together today.
              Attached Files

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Did Robert test all the functions before putting it back together? - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yadkin
                  Banned
                  • Aug 11 2012

I have no idea, but he had his dad help him. Together that's 60 years of experience. I walked in on Saturday afternoon, expecting to help him, and found them making final adjustments using a tiny inch-pound wrench.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

Ha! That's an 'ounce-inch' torque wrench. We use them on ball steering gears for lash adjustment.

The trans functions need to be adjusted and tested on the bench using compressed air, before putting the pan back on. It can save a lot of unnecessary teardown caused by something little. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yadkin
                      Banned
                      • Aug 11 2012

They just went by the Ford factory manual. I'll check on it next time I'm in the shop.

Comment

• Yadkin
                        Banned
                        • Aug 11 2012

Well I have an issue. I've been super busy at work and haven't devoted that much time to this project, but I got back into it this past week and found that the rebuilt transmission causes the engine to stall out at idle speed.

I tested it with the rear wheels off the ground, and it works in all gears. But as soon as you apply the brake it stalls out the motor at idle speed. The fluid level is correct.

I talked to Buster about this and the first thing he mentioned was the torque converter. This is the rebuilt unit that I had purchased some time ago, and it worked before, so it should work again. We ended the conversation so he could think about it, he called me back a while later and suggested that I examine the pressure regulator. If the valve bodies are in wrong it might be able to cause a stall as I described.

I dropped the pan and examined the valves. There was a spacer missing. I don't have my manual with me now but it is located outside of the smaller valve (upper valve in the diagram, but is the lower valve when the transmission is in the car), loose in the spring. It was an "extra" part that ended up on my table after the rebuild (bothered me a LOT), and I thought it was a boss to align the case parts, since it is a short hollow tube made from rolled sheet and the seam is not welded. I could not find out where it went and the cases aligned properly without it. The "boss" turned out to be the same diameter as the end of the lower valve, sits in the spring perfectly and looks to be the correct length as shown in the manual diagram.

I reassembled the regulator assembly making sure it matched the diagram exactly, replaced the filter and gasket, cover, fill tube and refilled it. But I have the exact same problem, stalls out the engine at idle, probably a little worse, actually.

According to Buster, who's very experienced, even if the transmission was full of rocks the torque converter would still let the engine idle in gear with the brake on.

I'm at a standstill on this portion of the project. I guess I can test it, there are two test ports to do this, but what Buster told me about the converter points to it alone.

Comment

• Yadkin
                          Banned
                          • Aug 11 2012

Success! I tried again this morning with the car off the lift and the darn thing works. It "chirps" into reverse and "clunks" a little into drive but other than that she idles in all gears with the brake on. I took it for a spin around the parking lot, sprayed a little gravel, and she ran even better.

I'm guessing that the converter had locked up somehow due to too much pressure and needed some time to settle out. If that is the case the chirp and clunk should go away over time. Here's to wishful thinking, anyway...

Comment

• Yadkin
                            Banned
                            • Aug 11 2012

I still have the chirp, figured it might be the rear band adjustment, checked the specified torque value of 10#-ft (it was dead on), so tried 5, then 2.5, then 0, to no avail. So I called Buster, and he told me the clutch packs may be a bit tight, and just have to wear in a bit, not to worry.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                              Administrator
                              • May 26 2009

I didn't like the fibers I bought. After comparing them to the originals, I put the originals back in. The materials used in the new ones is different, so I gave them away. My 1959 C-O-M works beautifully after the rebuild. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎