X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Larry Tappen
    Experienced
    • May 5 2017

wiring

hey guys, need some advise on wiring at fuse box on my 64 bird. according to the wiring diagram in the elec. book page#24 4135-2 the picture shows the fuse box with a jumper wire on the circuit breakers, but in the shop manual on page #15-10 fig. 2 shows the jumper in a different spot, so my question is which is correct. and also about wiring, the radio, mine is an am with fader (I think). i'm thinking if it has fader control thus volume control between front and rear speakers which are installed. now where dose the real speaker plug in at radio, or is it part of the large plug when they are together. i'm looking at page #e4-4648-1. thanks for the help, larry
  • stubbie
    Experienced
    • Jul 7 2011

Hi Larry does this help?

There should be 4x 2 pin connectors to the left of radio and 1x 4pin connector.
    1/ Black/ Black green stripe front speaker
    2/ Black/ Blue red stripe radio
    3/ Black/ Black red stripe rear speaker?
    4/ Black red stripe x2. This goes into one side of 4 way connector.
    Then there are 3 wires that go into 4 way connector that also go to the fader knob on the panel next to steering column.They are 1 Red, 1 green, and I think 1 light brown. Hard to tell as my wires have paint on them.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by stubbie; September 13, 2017, 06:56 PM.

Comment

• Larry Tappen
      Experienced
      • May 5 2017

wiring

thanks, stubbie. I see by your picture of the fuse box there are two jumpers, 1- short green wire 2- flat strap of metal which I don't have the medal strap but will make one. about the radio, I thought the fader control was on the radio, rear knob on the right side thanks for the help, larry

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Larry Tappen
        about the radio, I thought the fader control was on the radio, rear knob on the right side thanks for the help, larry
        Not all radios had the rear speaker option with the fader. Does your radio have a four wire speaker plug. If it only has a two wire speaker plug then it does not have a fader.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• stubbie
          Experienced
          • Jul 7 2011

Larry I would get the wiring diagram and confirm those black/ red stripe wires I'm not 100% sure were they go and I can't find my wire diagram.
          Last edited by stubbie; September 13, 2017, 07:25 PM.

Comment

• Larry Tappen
            Experienced
            • May 5 2017

wiring

sorry I had't got back with you about the radio john, my radio has the 4 wire plug from the radio and a 2 wire plug also. when I connect the plugs as shown in the book all I get is a little static sound through the speaker when turning the vol. knob up or down. being this is am radio only I've raised the antenna all the way for better reception, didn't help . this radio was checked out by a friend of mine. he says it should work as he could not find any thing wrong with it, thanks larry,ps maybe some one could take a photo of their am radio wiring and post it here, thanks again, larry.

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
              Experienced
              • Mar 1 2017

sorry I had't got back with you about the radio john, my radio has the 4 wire plug from the radio and a 2 wire plug also. when I connect the plugs as shown in the book all I get is a little static sound through the speaker when turning the vol. knob up or down. being this is am radio only I've raised the antenna all the way for better reception, didn't help . this radio was checked out by a friend of mine. he says it should work as he could not find any thing wrong with it, thanks larry,ps maybe some one could take a photo of their am radio wiring and post it here, thanks again, larry.
              The two wire plug is the radio power / light power ( both male type and one smaller than the other ). The four wires to speakers, one front and one back speaker .

ps. There are also two curved bracket at the side of the radio which , as well as support, is the radio ground to body tunnel.
              Last edited by OUR5T8BIRD; October 7, 2017, 02:43 PM.

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

this radio was checked out by a friend of mine. he says it should work as he could not find any thing wrong with it
                What does that mean? Did he actually hear it work? They are very easy to test with a speaker and a 12V source.

John

Comment

• Larry Tappen
                  Experienced
                  • May 5 2017

wiring

I guess I connected it right. it is grounded by the two side mount straps to tunnel as ground, I bench tested the radio with my 12 volt mini charger and a speaker and makeshift antenna, only heard scratching sound from speaker when turning vol. control up or down. maybe this is no good, thanks guys, larry.

Comment

• Larry Tappen
                    Experienced
                    • May 5 2017

wiring

stubbie, when I was looking at your picture I seen what looks like a metal strap going from one breaker to another is that correct? it's hard to tell with the shadow. I took and removed all the wires at fuse panel and reinstalled them per wiring diagram. still having issues[turn signals, heater fan blower work with key off], curtesy lights, dash lights not working all fuses are good. i'm stuck. I sure wish I knew what the p.o. did {or didn't do}. just love a good mystery, thanks larry.

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

stubbie, when I was looking at your picture I seen what looks like a metal strap going from one breaker to another is that correct?
                      Without that strap the bottom breaker has no power. You need that strap for it to work.

John

Comment

• stubbie
                        Experienced
                        • Jul 7 2011

Larry I will see if i can get you a better photo later when I get back from work.

Comment

• Larry Tappen
                          Experienced
                          • May 5 2017

wiring

john, if the strap gives power to the bottom breaker, then the green short wire also gives power to the bottom breaker on the left. I guess I've got the wires correct, but still having problem with turn signals and heater fan operating with the key off. I did a conuity test on the ignition switch with the key off and wires disconnected from switch, it test ok, the light switch is new so I think this should be ok also. don't know where to check now thanks larry, I hope people aren't thinking i'm totally dumb, but this has me stumped, thanks again.

Comment

• jopizz
                            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The Black/Green wire on the bottom left breaker is hot with the key on so I'm not sure why the green jumper wire is there. That is giving it power all the time. If you have that green jumper wire remove it and see if your blower still works with the key off.

John

Comment

• Larry Tappen
                              Experienced
                              • May 5 2017

wiring

john, per your suggestion of removing green jumper, I still have power to fan motor with key off, plus I found I have power with test light from neg batt cable to ground with cable removed from batt. i'm thinking dead short somewhere. using volt meter in place of test light I get 12.7 volts being drawn will check further tomarow thanks, larry.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎