X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • byersmtrco
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 28 2004

RE: One On E-BAY Now...

Ok. Now my take on it was the engine parts were offered as "dealer installed" accessories. My dad bought this TBird new from Byers Motor Co in Gilroy,Ca. owned by his uncle's. According to him (and he told me this YEARS ago) they offered him the chrome rocker covers and A/clnr at the same time they offered him the spotlight. He went with only the spot light at that time. I've heard (hundreds of times) how he regretted that . . . Oh and not getting AC. I was around 12 yrs old when he bought the valve covers. We were at a Chevron (Standard Oil at that time I think)in Santa Cruz. One of the guys working there had them. He told us they "came on" his 59 Tbird. He had changed the engine to something newer and had a few spare parts. No air cleaner though.

Maybe the chrome body parts were something similar. Dealers maybe just ordered them on their own. Although, I never saw them on a Sq/Bird until a few yrs ago.

I could ask him again. He's 87 though and in very poor health . . . and memory problems. He lights up though when we talk about the TB.
    Don't know if/how much he'd remember.

John

Comment

• KULTULZ

Over The Counter Dressup Kit

The above kit was available over the counter in 1964. It has smooth rocker covers and I thought was only seen on 427 factory kits. A factory kit(s) was available showing THUNDERBIRD (390-406-427). It seems from the above FORD covers, there was also a dress-up factory kit for the 352.

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

RE: Over The Counter Dressup Kit

Wow, that's cool. An Edsel with a chrome dress-up package.

Alexander
        1959 Hardtop
        1960 Golde Top
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
          Experienced
          • Mar 31 2004

RE: Over The Counter Dressup Kit

The revision of the VTCI concours rules will include the chrome engine dress up kit and exterior kit as acceptable. What it will say is we have not been able to find any documentation anywhere that these 2 kits were offered by Ford or anyone else. And it will go on to ask anyone with documentaion to please forward info so the rules can be updated. The caveat will be that the entire kit must be present for the engine and exterior to be considered acceptable, ( no modification points if complete) with 2 exceptions. The chrome headlight doors and chrome wiper bezels. Chrome headlight doors are listed in the parts books but the wiper bezels were found in wiper arm boxes carrying a part number not in any of the parts books we have presently.

Fuz
          58's&64's
          Sun Prairie, Wi.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎