X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peeeot
    Experienced
    • Oct 23 2005

Transmission Doesn't Shift

I drove the car upwards of 25 mph and there was no shift. The transmission was in D1. Fluid level is full.

My manual says the governor or valve body are likely responsible. Where do I start with this?
  • byersmtrco
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 28 2004

RE: Transmission Doesn't Shift

When you say "won't shift" do you mean won't shift out of low?
    Mine does that. It's a linkage/strg clmn issue. I usually have to either have it hang up in low, or start in 2nd, then play with the shift lever to get it right. Start off in D2 and see if it goes 2nd-3rd as it should, then stop, start off in L, then slip it into D1 and see if it goes right. If not, then it could be internal.
    Try the easy fix stuff 1st. All old Ford's, TBirds mostly, have very sloppy shft linkage.

John

Comment

• peeeot
      Experienced
      • Oct 23 2005

I didn't think to try putting it in D2. I found neutral and then moved the shift lever through 2 distinct clicks, and assumed I was in D1. I do have a sloppy linkage. When I drove, it felt like I started in 1st gear and never left 1st gear.

I'll try what you mentioned ASAP.

Comment

• peeeot
        Experienced
        • Oct 23 2005

It will be the weekend before I can check. To get a head start, if it doesn't do the 2-3 shift either, where should I start in addressing this problem? Preliminary searching has failed to turn up governors or valve bodies for sale.

Comment

• byersmtrco
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 28 2004

I'm reasonably sure it's a linkage issue. I'm told there is a servo that can hang up in there. Just an adjustment, as are the (two) band adjustments. Try the D2 thing.

John

Comment

• byersmtrco
            Super-Experienced
            • Sep 28 2004

I was also told lack of use isn't good either. Makes things stick. We gotta drive these cars !!! I (try) to make it a point to drive mine once (or twice) a month . . . Just to blow the cobwebs out. I took my 60 out a few days ago . . . ran her up to about 80 on the freeway. Got back, ran the top down then back up (good to use the conv top too-keep those parts moving)

Drive em !!!!

John

Comment

• peeeot
              Experienced
              • Oct 23 2005

I really hope you're right, I'd love it if my linkage was my only problem.

As for sitting being bad, I'm convinced that sitting is the worst thing (short of being in a wreck) for cars in almost every respect. I don't know when the last time my car was driven, but I know it's been more than a year, because the guy that had it before me didn't do any work on it, and the engine was disassembled!

In fact, the only clue I have to when it was last driven is the registration sticker on the license plate from Georgia--and it expired in '94!! Hopefully it's seen some action since then, but I'm not sure....

Comment

• peeeot
                Experienced
                • Oct 23 2005

I drove the car in D2 and couldn't discern any shifting. I could tell I was in 2nd, but there was no third.

I'm hoping all that's wrong is the governor is stuck from lack of use.

Comment

• byersmtrco
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Sep 28 2004

Has the fluid been changed? Also, have (both) bands been adjusted?
                  You probably do have something sticking. Check the vac line going to the modulator (all the way down) I know on some GM trannys, if the vac line leaks, it will not up-shift. Not sure on the Ford.

John

Comment

• peeeot
                    Experienced
                    • Oct 23 2005

whooa, vacuum line? I don't think I have any vacuum lines attached to the transmission. Should I?

Also, I haven't done any band adjustments. What are they?

Edit: I found this quote on the forum, elsewhere: "FORD changed the design of the CRUISE-O-MATIC in 1961 (first offered 1958) and included a modulator valve to control shifts rather than the throttle linkage used on the earlier COM/FOM."

If my throtle linkage wasn't adjusted properly, could that explain the lack of shifting?

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
                      Experienced
                      • Mar 31 2004

Can't help with the linkage ??, but vacuum was not used until 61.

Fuz
                      58's&64's
                      Sun Prairie, Wi.

Comment

• byersmtrco
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Sep 28 2004

I forgot. I'm sorry, my trans is 64-65 Merc issue. It does have manual detent linkage though. Stock 1960 issue, I believe.
                        The trans in my 65 TB shifts totally differently though, runs at least 10 mph faster in every gear before shifting . . . and downshifts with the least amount of throttle. Different valving I guess.

John

Comment

• peeeot
                          Experienced
                          • Oct 23 2005

Hey. It's been a while since I've been on the forum, and I've taken a step away from my bird in the meantime. But today, I spent some more time thinking about it...

I never posted on it but a few weeks ago I removed the governor and inspected it. It moved freely and looked brand new, squeaky clean. It made me wonder whether this transmission had perhaps received an overhaul in the recent past (by mileage, not necessarily time).

Is it worth my while to take the transmission pan off, replace the filter, change the fluid, etc? It has clean Dexron 3 in it now.

What is the likelihood that improper band adjustment is at fault?

I've done every mechanical/linkage adjustment to the best of my ability.

If I can get this transmission to shift at a low cost, I'd really like to.

Comment

• byersmtrco
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Sep 28 2004

Highly likely on the band. I was ready to throw in the towel and C6 it. My buddy (old time Ford guy) adjusted mine. Set both bands, serviced it. Also adjusted the linkage and modulator. Shfts like a B&M now. Might puke tomorrow. Prob run 10 years. When this combo goes, its time for the "Big Motor". And a C6. We'll see. All good now. The 390 built by S & S Eng runs like a tall horse !!!!!!

JB

Comment

• peeeot
                              Experienced
                              • Oct 23 2005

I can't remember, is the band adjustment procedure something that a home mechanic can handle? I looked at the procedure a while back but I think it scared me away... Doesn't the pan have to come off for one of the bands?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎