Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G. Weber
    • Sep 28 2011

After market steel wheels for 60 T-bird

I am taking the original bias-ply tires, wheels and caps off and storing them. Coker has radials and steel wheels w/ primer. The tires I'm taking off are 800 x 14 which converts to a 215/75R14. To measure the correct backspace etc. on the wheel I would have to take the tire off. Does anybody have the correct specs, dimensions of the stock wheels that are on my 60 bird? I need a few other pointers too, but we'll start here.

Thank you,

G. Weber
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

They are 14 X 5.5" wide, 3.75" backspacing, 5X4.5" bolt pattern.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• DKheld
      Super-Experienced
      • Aug 27 2008

I had bias-ply tires on mine. G-78-14.

Switched to radials - huge difference in handling - much better. (Diamond Back Radials - 215 - 75R14 - tires were Dayton Brand)

A few months back I bought a new set of Coker Classics (same size 215 - 75R14) to replace my 10 year old Diamond Back Radials. On my particular car the handling is terrible with the new Cokers. Feels almost as bad as the old bias plys. I'm having to really stay on it to keep it steady @ 70mph on the interstate where as I used to feel very comfortable with one hand on the wheel.

Just like when you buy a new set of tires for your modern car that are the same size and diameter as what is installed - there should have been an improvement or no change at all.

I have not had time to contact Coker and ask if they want to take a look at the tires and see if I just happened to get a bad set. If you are going with Wide Whitewalls - I believe Coker sells a "performance" set. You might want to consider the performance set when purchasing. Although going from bias ply to radials you may think the Classic radials are fine.

Just FYI.

These are hubcaps - I have standard Ford LTD steel wheels. Same wheels I was using with the Diamond Back tires.

Eric

Comment

• Dakota Boy
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 30 2009

If you can find an older tire shop with a tire shaver, it might be worth trying on those Cokers
        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• byersmtrco
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 28 2004

Those are nice looking caps. Where did you get those?

I'm running Cooper 225/75/R14's @ the moment.
          They're older, but nice riding (quiet) tires. They're on
          Ford 14X6 steel wheels (vented)

Early on, I was leary about those Coker tires. They were just
          high dollar BFG throwbacks. Maybe better now? For over 200 bucks a pop, I would hope so.

I ran those re-pop K/H (so called tubeless) wires for awhile
          Biggest PITA ever. Total junk!!

I may switch to these caps (see att) when I repaint my whls.

I've also thought about Crager S/S whls with BFG T/A's (something different) Someone on here has them. I'd like size info if poss.

Thanks

Originally posted by DKheld
          I had bias-ply tires on mine. G-78-14.

Switched to radials - huge difference in handling - much better. (Diamond Back Radials - 215 - 75R14 - tires were Dayton Brand)

A few months back I bought a new set of Coker Classics (same size 215 - 75R14) to replace my 10 year old Diamond Back Radials. On my particular car the handling is terrible with the new Cokers. Feels almost as bad as the old bias plys. I'm having to really stay on it to keep it steady @ 70mph on the interstate where as I used to feel very comfortable with one hand on the wheel.

Just like when you buy a new set of tires for your modern car that are the same size and diameter as what is installed - there should have been an improvement or no change at all.

I have not had time to contact Coker and ask if they want to take a look at the tires and see if I just happened to get a bad set. If you are going with Wide Whitewalls - I believe Coker sells a "performance" set. You might want to consider the performance set when purchasing. Although going from bias ply to radials you may think the Classic radials are fine.

Just FYI.

These are hubcaps - I have standard Ford LTD steel wheels. Same wheels I was using with the Diamond Back tires.

Eric
          Attached Files

Comment

• G. Weber
            • Sep 28 2011

Answer received

Thank you John Pizzi.....that's what I needed!

Comment

• tbird430
              Super-Experienced
              • Jun 18 2007

225/75R14's are the best!! Just very difficult to find.

-Jon in TX
              sigpic
              The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• G. Weber
                • Sep 28 2011

60 Bird wheels and tires.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. The closest steel wheel Coker has to John's spec. is a 14 x 6 with a 4" backspace. That is what I'll go with. One more concern....I'm not crazy about the spider cap. I would like to put on chrome bullet lug nuts and have a similar center cap but I can not find a center cap. Am I stuck with going to the spider cap? Does anyone have any opinions about them? Also.....Coker classic radial. I'm leaning toward the wider 225/75R instead of the 215/75R. Any thoughts

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Any smaller center cap that you put on is going to cover the lug nuts so I'm not sure what look you are going for. Maybe you can explain a little further.

John
                  John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                  jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• G. Weber
                    • Sep 28 2011

Thanks John. I wanted the center cap and lug nuts separate but it seems as though I may have to go with the spider cap.

Comment

• G. Weber
                      • Sep 28 2011

Oh.....I intend on leaving the hub caps off. I'm going to powder coat the steel wheels satin black. Chrome lug nuts and center cap.

Comment

• DKheld
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Aug 27 2008

Spider cap?
                        Not familiar with that exactly.
                        I think Ford referred to their original hubcaps as Sun Ray's (or that could have been the add on Red/White/Blue center sections) but then some folks call them wheel covers etc ....just info....
                        The originals are great - had mine on for years - just have to adjust the tabs to make them tight.

Let us know how those tires work out.
                        I bought mine through Summit Racing - free shipping so it made them cheaper than buying directly from Coker - crazy.

John - my wire covers are sort of home made.
                        80's GM (Monte Carlo etc) 14 inch with 61-63 Tbird spinners bolted on to a modified center cap.
                        See this post for a "how to" if you want to build some.

Greg - probably - but I bet that would void my warranty. Got the lifetime road hazard warranty with them since I had the Diamond Backs for 10 years - figured I would have these as long. Still think they should preform as well as what was on there since there were no changes to the car at all - just new tires of the same size. I'm seriously considering selling them and getting a new set of Diamond Backs - that's how much I dislike the handling....

Eric
                        Last edited by DKheld; June 16, 2016, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Dec 23 2008

Spider cap?
                          Google street rod spyder cap and you should see pictures. Just a chrome center cap and tabs out to the wheel studs. Held on by the lugnuts. Nice minimal old school look.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                            Administrator
                            • May 26 2009

Originally posted by G. Weber
                            ...The closest steel wheel Coker has to John's spec. is a 14 x 6 with a 4" backspace. That is what I'll go with...
                            THIS is the back spacing you want:

These are 6" x 14" Granada wheels that Howard Prout and Ray Clark are using. There isn't much room between the tire and upper "A" arm. I would not go with 4". Summit sells a host of these wheels in different styles. If you cover with a full wheel cover, who knows what's behind it? - Dave
                            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• byersmtrco
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Sep 28 2004

The 215's are closer to the stock width. They were pretty skinny as I recall. The 225's give the car a wider stance.
                              I like it. You can kind of tell in my picture. I have more pics in the puter at home. I can post em or email em if you want.
                              225/70's would be good. Better availability. Depends on the brand. You stand 4 diff tires up, 4 diff brands, and all 4 will be different sizes.

[QUOTE= I'm leaning toward the wider 225/75R instead of the 215/75R. Any thoughts[/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎