No announcement yet.

Suggestions on good exhaust mani gasket for 1962

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions on good exhaust mani gasket for 1962

I have a stock 62 tbird in need of pass side exhaust mani gasket. And thoughts on best one to get? From Ebay or a Restoration book/website for a car like this?
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Are you talking about the gasket between the manifold and the head? If so there should not be a gasket there. From the factory it was metal to metal. If it's leaking you should have the manifold planed rather than use a gasket. Most likely it will just leak again.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

There is a gasket there. I had a 65 years ago that had a gasket also that was bad so I assumed they came that way.
      The motor was rebuilt back in the 80's I guess they chose to put on gaskets.
      The drivers side does not leak and it has a gasket. Huuum.

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The gasket kits come with exhaust gaskets so people who rebuild engines think they should use them. If your manifold isn't warped it's probably not going to leak whether you have gaskets or not. If it is warped a gasket probably isn't going to help it.

John

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Ford uses part numbers. The only engine I found exhaust manifold gaskets for is the 430 MEL engine (COSZ 9448-A & COSZ 9448-B, because they are different gaskets from RH to LH).

Other than that engine, there are no Ford numbers because Ford didn't use exhaust manifold gaskets. If you have a Master Parts Catalog, you'll find, 6008, is the base number for "Complete Gasket Set - Engine Overhaul. All the individual gaskets for FE engines are listed in the set. There are no exhaust manifold gaskets.

More to the point, I overhaul engines. I never use exhaust manifold gaskets because I make sure the mating surfaces are FLAT before I assemble. The gasket companies include those gaskets for rebuilders who don't spend the time or money on exhaust manifold machining. I've never seen one last long.

Each exhaust port on the FE head has two bolts to ensure a good seal.

I worked in Dearborn Engine Plant and Romeo Engine Plant. Neither had exhaust manifold gaskets in the plant. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The Fel-Pro FE full engine gasket kit comes with two sets of exhaust manifold gaskets.

John

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Originally posted by jopizz
              The Fel-Pro FE full engine gasket kit comes with two sets of exhaust manifold gaskets...
              I'm well aware that many aftermarket brands of engine rebuild sets include exhaust manifold gaskets. That's aftermarket, not Ford. I end up throwing them out.

Come to think of it, I probably have sets for FE and Y-Block engines that were never used from those sets.

Gasket sets tend to include 'extra' gaskets because the set spans different engines over many revisions and years. Another part I never use are those useless umbrella seals for valve stem towers or intake manifold gaskets that contact the block in front and rear. They do a good job of holding the intake manifold suspended, so it cannot descend as it should. That's mainly why everyone has such a bad time with intake leaks. Not me. - Dave
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• scumdog
                Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

The drivers side exhaust manifold was cracked when I bought my ‘66, I had it welded, draw-filed it flat and as extra insurance used a smear of hi-temp RTV around each port.
                And have never had any leaks.
                A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• GeoffInCarlsbad
                  Experienced
                  • Jul 4 2015

manifold gaskets

I just went through this with my 61. My passenger side manifold was warped and then I discovered a crack in one of the flanges. So I replaced the exhaust manifold. When I did, I brought the new manifold to my machinist just to make sure the surface was flat and true. I did put in a metal heat-shield/gasket on it. I did this for the usual reason why a gasket goes on a joint, but I noticed that my driver's side had one on there as well. I like symmetry so I put in on the passenger side.

But the key really is ensure you have a flat and true surface and that there are no other cracks in the manifold.
                  Geoff In Carlsbad
                  1961 Thunderbird Convertible aka: Betty:cool:

sigpic

Comment

• DKheld
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Aug 27 2008

I installed gaskets on mine (which originally did not have gaskets).

I was taking them back off and having the manifolds surfaced 1000 miles later.

My original thinking was that the gaskets would help seal any imperfections in the manifolds - wish I had never installed them.

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...ad.php?t=16727

Been 8-10K miles since that fiasco and still no leaks.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎