X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vernz
    Experienced
    • Jul 12 2008

need help finding a brake spring

1960 Thunderbird with original drum brakes. I pulled the drum on the front left wheel today for my complete brake replacement project. Lo and behold I found a broken lower retracting spring. For now I plan on keeping the drum brakes. I went to my usual parts sources and can not find anyone selling that spring. Even the complete spring kits don't show that as one of the springs in the kit. Does anyone know where I can find that spring?
    BTW, I sure learned my lesson about letting a car sit for years without exercising the brakes and replacing the fluid periodically. I can't believe how rust and ugly the wheel cylinders are when I pulled off the rubber caps. My original plan to rebuild the wheel cylinders went out the window in a hurry.

Vern
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I don't know where you would find that particular spring new. I assume that's the one that goes above the adjuster. I probably have a couple of used ones. My suggestion is to install self adjusters. The bottom springs are readily available for those. They make a big improvement. Here are the part numbers. Most local auto stores either have them or can order them. You can also get them from Rock Auto. They are listed for a 1961 Thunderbird but will fit your '60.

Kit-Raybestos-H2545 (right)
    H2544 (left)

Springs-Wagner-H412 (2 per kit)

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• newyear
      Experienced
      • Jan 4 2005

Hi Vern
      If you can provide a picture and dimensions I will see if I have one
      I got my selection from Rock Auto,Larrys and MACS
      Peter

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

need help finding a brake spring

You might send a PM to Carl Heller ~ partsetal on here. Carl has lots of parts for Squarebirds and he might have what you need. If you order from Rock Auto, you will find the discount code in the Advertisements Forum.
        Last edited by YellowRose; June 28, 2016, 05:15 PM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Originally posted by vernz
          1960 Thunderbird with original drum brakes... ...Lo and behold I found a broken lower retracting spring. For now I plan on keeping the drum brakes... ...Does anyone know where I can find that spring?...
          Raybestos H-403, sold in sets of four. Here's the picture from Rockauto.com:

Don't forget your 5% discount. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• partsetal
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 4 2005

The front brakes have an additional retracting spring, just down from the two that attach to the pin. This spring goes from shoe to shoe. Hard to find, not made by any main manufacturer.
            Carl

Comment

• vernz
              Experienced
              • Jul 12 2008

Carl is correct. I need that secondary spring that goes from shoe to shoe below the wheel cylinder. I looked at all the parts places and rock auto with no luck. If you look in the 1960 shop manual that shows the front brake assembly you can see the "lower retracting spring". The 1959 shop manual also shows it. I'll get some dimensions and a picture tomorrow.

I am installing self adjusters on all the wheels as I go through the brakes. The springs in the self adjusters do not replace the lower retracting spring.

Vern

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

None of the later Thunderbird brakes use that spring so I don't know how effective it was. I haven't used that on any squarebirds in the last 10 years that I've done brakes on and haven't had any problem eliminating it. You should be safe going without it.

John

Comment

• vernz
                  Experienced
                  • Jul 12 2008

Thanks John. I was wondering if that spring was really necessary.

Vern

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Here's a picture showing the self adjuster on a '61 Thunderbird. As you can see there's no lower retracting spring. It would probably interfere with the mechanism.

John
                    Attached Files

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I believe these are the lower retracting springs. Looks like they are available.

John

Comment

• vernz
                        Experienced
                        • Jul 12 2008

OK, so I can get the springs from a 55-57, but I am installing self adjuster mechanisms from a 61 and the diagram for that installation does not show the spring. I think the spring would still fit, even with the self adjuster, but I think I will omit it. Thanks everyone for the information. My next post will be some questions on plumbing for the 69 mustang master cylinder I'm installing, but I need to organize my thoughts first.

Vern

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎