X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mt59bird
    Apprentice
    • Feb 10 2011

Fender Mirrors

Are these an option or aftermarket mirrors. Just curious really. They are different than ones that I have seen on other cars. I remember fender mirrors on a Chrysler (or Dodge) that my dad had when I was a kid and I thought that they were strange then.

Getting it ready to paint so now is the time to do something different if I am going to.

Mike
    E PLURIBUS UNUM; In GOD We Trust; Liberty
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

People get real defensive about their mirrors. Rightfully so I guess, if you're passionate about your car.

Mirrors were generally installed at the dealerships. We have see MANY places they were mounted, even 'from the factory' (which is really the dealership). We've also seen many types of mirrors because some dealerships bought mirrors from aftermarket companies.

Mike, yours are aftermarket, but I love them! No car wash is ever going to damage them with those two mounting pads.

Generally, most folks prefer "Adjust-O-Ring" mirrors, mounted in line with the closing gap of the hood (so it's not in the mechanic's way). If you ever pursue buying the Adjust-O-Ring BE CAREFUL because they are $160/each and some vendors sell plastic versions. ASK before you buy.

I really do love your mirrors. If they were mine I would have them replated and use them forever. Open the hood. Are they in the way? If so, pull them back and re-mount. A closer mirror offers much more view than one far away. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Restifier52
      Experienced
      • Jul 26 2011

Hi Mike. I've never seen mirrors like these before and they look very cool to me, too. My car came with only the drivers side mirror and it is the rectangular hooded one. I like it. I bought another one off ebay for the other side but it is way too shabby to use. I tend to be hyper alert when driving the Squarebird anyway so the lack of a passenger side mirror doesn't really bother me. Like Dave says I would clean 'em up and keep em.
      1960 HT
      Thunderbird Registry #35780

Comment

• DKheld
        Super-Experienced
        • Aug 27 2008

X3 on the cool factor - those mirrors scream "jet age". Those are Yankee brand #4012 mirrors.

Dave's right on about some folks and their mirrors. I'm really going to get grief when I install the '58-'59 style adjust-o-ring's that Dave shows on my '60 (because I like them better) which "should have" had the hooded style.

I can just say it was an early 1960 car and the dealer didn't have any of the hooded type to install when the car was delivered. Since my Dad bought it new - it would be hard to argue with that.

Eric

Hooded style
        Last edited by DKheld; March 25, 2013, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• davidmij
          Super-Experienced
          • Jan 17 2011

X4!
          If you decide not to use them let me know, I'd be interested.

Comment

Eric
            They look great on a 60 I love these mirrors I took them off my 59
            Attached Files

Comment

• mt59bird
              Apprentice
              • Feb 10 2011

Painted the car this week. Actually it only took a few hours. Just finished the sanding and then I used dp90 then Eastwood Hot Rod Black. It's not a resto, but it will be a fun car and it looks really good to me. I flaked the top, too.

Here are a couple shots:

It's a black car to start with but the paint was bad and it has been in an accident sometime in it's life because the door is from a red car. I did the bumper in light grey with flake on it because the chrome was so pitted, almost gone. It came out nice too.

The mirrors actually look cool on there. My daughter was helping me and thought that they were lights at first. 'The mirrors are out there?' was her question.

Mike

Comment

• KULTULZ

I like that top treatment...

Comment

• del
                  Retired Expert Enthusiast
                  • May 11 2010

like those wheels

Hi Mike - what size are those wheels? Nice!
                  Regards,
                  Don Vincent
                  Amherst NY
                  1960 HT 352
                  TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• Anders
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by mt59bird

Mike
                    WoW! Love them. I have never seen these before. Very cool! Looks like a Batman logo, so they do suit your new paint

When I bought my car 5 years ago, I chased Adjust-O-Ring on Ebay. I ended up with 3 pcs because I was a bit unsure about the chrome quality on them. They are not perfect, but I would say quite good to fine. As they have a few very fine lines, these disapear in the polishing process when people re-chrome them. I will most probably never put mine on, as I will to put on a set of Appleton lights in this area.
                    sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
                    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• mt59bird
                      Apprentice
                      • Feb 10 2011

Originally posted by del
                      Hi Mike - what size are those wheels? Nice!
                      I think they are 15x7 with 215's. They were the ones on the car when I bought it. Thanks.

Anders, my daughter calls it the Bat Mobile. She loves the Bat Man movies too, that may be an influence.

Mike

Comment

• davidmij
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jan 17 2011

Mike, did you remove the 2 front posts/fins from the front bumper or were they just never there?

Those old skool style wheels (Crager SS?) look great on old cars. The entire car looks super sharp and unique! Nice job.

Dave J

Comment

• mt59bird
                          Apprentice
                          • Feb 10 2011

Yeah, they weren't in great shape so I left them off. I was looking for some Dagmars instead, saw them in old photos and liked that look.

I took the car to the big swap meet here in Portland and ended up selling the car to some guys from Edmonton Alberta! They sound like a good home and will tackle the stuff needed to finish the car.

I think I'm going to miss that car.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎