X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Mark Mundorff's Other '60 430MEL Tbird

Here are some pix of the other '60 430MEL that Mark owns. If you notice, the overflow tank has been moved to the passenger side panel next to the battery! I also see that the air cleaner top has been drilled to allow for air flow, I gather. Here are the pix.
    Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Nice car ...

the vinyl top is a nice touch. Mike

Comment

• AVANCIER THUNDERBIRD
      • Dec 29 2010

60 430 Sunroof

Hi Mike,

I had the chance to stay overnight in Steamboat this summer on my way back into Denver and enjoyed the short time I had to look around.

These pictures don't due justice to the looks of this car! I digitized some old slides I found and sent them to Ray. This is the one I put the 64 black leather seats into and they look great. The vinyl roof makes it look so elegant and at night, it simply stopped traffic, literally!! It is amazing how many people did not know what kind of car it was and also could not recall having seen one!?!

This 60 SR does look a little different in subtle ways from the typical Squarebird. I took the trim off except for the bullet lettering on the door and the emblem on the roof. I put 15 inch tires on this one too. I also put 4 shocks, 2 of them air shocks, on the rear and put in truck springs in front to ride higher and stiffer to control the side roll. The rear shocks help that a lot too. Notice the rear wheel wells? I opened them up just a bit, for both looks and wheel clearance. Altogether, it changes the feel of the car when you see it. My red 59 looks like a custom street hot rod. This 60 looks so refined and elegant and when you see them together, at first it is hard to realize they are the same body style and yet could look so different from each other. Both are fun to drive and someday, I may just do that again!!!

Take care

Mark Mundorff

Originally posted by gaffney1951
      the vinyl top is a nice touch. Mike

Comment

• tbird430
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 18 2007

Thos 'mods' are pretty interesting. I bet the holes drilled into the top of the air cleaner housing really do pull in some cooler air from the open hood scoop...
        sigpic
        The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

I really like ...

to change things on my cars to make them mechanically better, and aesthetically pleasing to myself. I think keeping things stock is great if that's what you are into, but I've never been a #'s matching kind of guy. Your car is a great example of adding your own input to improve on an already great platform. Maybe next time I head up to Wisconsin we could get together and go for a little cruise. It would be great to see are two cars out together. Mike

Comment

I will have to agree with Michael (Gaffney1951) as long as its is not drastic! Disc brakes, rack-n-pinion steering, power door locks, after market AC, etc... As said make your car yours and show people what you have done!
            Richard D. Hord

Comment

• villain
              Apprentice
              • Jan 23 2011

Gaffney- you are here in Colorado? I just picked up a 60 jcode and am looking for good restorers and such. Any recommendations?
              -- D_Villain
              - 1960 Thunderbird J-code Golde (Registry #1560)

Comment

Restoration ...

Originally posted by villain
                Gaffney- you are here in Colorado? I just picked up a 60 jcode and am looking for good restorers and such. Any recommendations?
                Where in CO are You? I do all my own work with the exception of final body paint. You might try on fordfe.com there are quite a few guys in the Denver area on that forum that would be able to help. Mike

Comment

• villain
                  Apprentice
                  • Jan 23 2011

Originally posted by gaffney1951
                  Where in CO are You? I do all my own work with the exception of final body paint. You might try on fordfe.com there are quite a few guys in the Denver area on that forum that would be able to help. Mike
                  I'm in Longmont, but willing to take it wherever. I know of one really high end resto place down in Denver, but just don't know if they are the source for everything or what options I have...I'll check that site too
                  -- D_Villain
                  - 1960 Thunderbird J-code Golde (Registry #1560)

Comment

Well high end is just that ...

high end. Just because it costs more doesn't necessarily mean it's better. Do some research. There are a lot of really talented people out there that don't charge an arm and a leg. I would think about it but I have a 3 year back log of my own stuff to finish and when you start doing it for money it can quickly stop being fun. If you have any specific questions to ask there is a lot of good advice right here among other places. Mike

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎