Thermostat

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermostat

Hi,
    I’m trying to get the best gas mileage. As I know a warm engine have better gas mileage than a colder. I have a choice between three thermostats. 160, 180 and 192 degrees F. Of which one can I expect the best gas mileage?

Thanks for your help.
    :-)
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Thermostat

A car runs at the best efficiency when it reaches its optimum operating temperature. In a a carbureted or fuel injected car, the engine runs rich while the engine is cold. If the engine doesn't reach operating temperature, the the fuel mixure will be remain too rich, wasting extra fuel.

That being said, I have never seen a Squarebird have a problem of not warming up fast enough. The main problem is keeping them cool, especially on a hot summer day in traffic.

The shop manual recommends a 160 degree or 180 degree thermostat. I myself run a 160 degree thermostat, because I feel uncomfortable with the thought of the coolant not circulating early. Admitting, this thermostat is more for my piece of mind than for the car. I have measured the operating temperature of the coolant of these cars and it varies from 180 degrees on a cold day to 210 degrees o a hot day. If it gets to 220 degrees my '59 starts to vapor lock with the modern gasolines they have introduced in the last 5 or 6 years.

Do not try to run the car without a thermostat. The water pump cannot do optimal work if there is not the restriction of the thermostat. The only Squarebirds I have seen overheat are the ones without thermostats.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. I also checked the shop manual. On page 4-8 (specifications) the shop manual mention three types of thermostats, low- and high temperature thermostats and a “Cylinder Block thermostat”. The last type, is that a different type of thermostat? The 180 degree thermostat, is this the “high temperature” thermostat that opens at a temperature of 175 -180 degree and is fully open at 200 degree?

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

The cylinder block thermostats are only for the 430 engine. They each side of the block in addition to the standard thermostat that controls the flow to the radiator. Be grateful that the 352 engine does not have these. They are hard to find.

That 430 engine had a complex cooling system for its time.

Alexander
        1959 Hardtop
        1960 Golde Top
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢