Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Derbird
    • Jul 10 2016

Reproduction belt molding or sail panel

Has anyone had issues with these reproduction moldings fitting around there drip edge? If so what have you done? I have already emailed the vendor, we will see what they say.
    Attached Files
  • OX1
    Super-Experienced
    • Feb 10 2016

I didn't even know they made those.
    Good thing I guess, as I would have been dissappointed.

Not surprised though, several of the repro parts I
    have gottne over the years are not even close to the
    original's (like the rear trunk lock/emblem)
    59-430-HT

Comment

• Derbird
      • Jul 10 2016

confirmed with the vendor that the reproduction parts are incorrect. not just my set, but all of their inventory is.

Comment

• Reg_beagle
        Apprentice
        • Apr 13 2018

Wow, not what you want to see when you're ready to install those shiny new parts. Thanks for the heads-up. Are you able to modify the new ones so they are usable, or are they just junknow?

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
          Experienced
          • Mar 31 2004

This problem with the repos has come up before. I do not remember the solution if any but grinding on your new part will not very nice.

I have had this kind of problem with the repos from many of the suppliers. Good Luck

Fuz
          58's&64's
          Sun Prairie, Wi.
          tmjsong1@aol.com

Comment

• Tbird1044
            Super-Experienced
            • Jul 31 2012

I looked at my car (1960) to check the sail panel moldings and found that they must have made a change, as my panel molding just extends flat behind the drip rail molding. The repos worked fine for me, but wouldn't be era correct for your year. This may be one option for you if the drip molding trim extends far enough down. I was able to find a chrome shop that still rechromed pot metal parts and did a nice job, but they weren't cheap. Several parts I had to have done really cost me. Just another option.
            Nyles
            Attached Files

Comment

• Derbird
              • Jul 10 2016

The drip edge on my 59 does not go low enough to use the 60 trim. I am going to template the old trim and transfer to the new one and use a rotary file to modify. If I can't get it done, I have a chrome shop an hour away that will fix it

Comment

• OX1
                Super-Experienced
                • Feb 10 2016

Originally posted by Derbird
                The drip edge on my 59 does not go low enough to use the 60 trim. I am going to template the old trim and transfer to the new one and use a rotary file to modify. If I can't get it done, I have a chrome shop an hour away that will fix it
                Any idea what they might charge? One of the last pieces on my 59 that is not redone, is those panels.
                59-430-HT

Comment

• Derbird
                  • Jul 10 2016

My guess is all 58 and 59 cars are like this. The trim has a feature on the back side that would not allow for a longer drip edge. I spent a few hours reworking the new ones and now have them fitting pretty well. They are to the point that I don't think 99% of people would know the difference.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎