Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xpnsv
    • Feb 12 2011

1963 Thunderbird brake return springs

Can anyone help me on the correct p/n for brake return springs?
    Looking for a cross reference to the original number B5A-2035-A.
    Has anyone purchased them through Rock Auto? They list ones for 65 Birds which they say measure 7" and the 63's are 5" although Mac Auto lists B5A-2035-A for all years.
    Thanks
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Jeff, I'm honored to be the first to welcome you and answer this post.
    This is one of those parts that all the auto parts stores have, but so do 'classic auto' stores. In other words, you can get them cheap or you can spend a lot. Truth is, Ford never made your brakes, they bought them like all the other OEM's. (Springs won't have any logo on them because other car models like Checker use the same parts.)

Rock Auto is a great place to buy and they usually offer a 5% discount (nice if you aren't in a hurry). But if you want your parts right now, stop by one of the major auto parts stores. It's a good idea to know your brake diameter (you can measure the inside of your drums.

Another good idea is to add self-adjusters if your car didn't come with. Again, all the auto parts stores carry LH & RH kits. Self-adjusters will keep your brake pedal high and more responsive. - Dave
    Last edited by simplyconnected; May 20, 2011, 03:11 PM.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• xpnsv
      • Feb 12 2011

Hi Dave and thanks for responding. Contrary to what you say, none of my local auto stores carry these springs nor have any info in their catalogs that far back. The same with Rock Auto. They list return springs only back to 65 and although some sites say that the 63 uses the same springs as the 65, I haven't found anyone to confirm that. For the amount of time that I have devoted to research on this, I find it hard to believe that I can't find some info on this common replacement part. Again, Mac Auto lists the same part number for just about all early Thunderbirds and that doesn't correspond to the shop manuals. Also another oddity is all vendors list using only two hold down springs per wheel,(one per shoe) when my Bird uses two per shoe. As far as the self-adjusters, my Bird already has them on all four wheels and I had no problem finding new ones for my year. In fact, I am in the process of replacing all the brake parts (wheel cylinders,hoses,bearings,etc.) and had no problem find any of them with the exception of the return springs. The 63 uses 5" springs and these are the ones that I can't seem to find, or if they are available, no one seems to know the cross reference numbers for such as Raybestoes (H111) or other brands. That's why I posted, hoping someone may have some info.
      Thanks again,
      Jeff

Comment

Hey Jeff,
        Try http://www.classiquecars.com/brakethundercart.htm Also http://www.thunderbirdconn.com/summa...rtGroup=BRAKES Also http://clickonparts.com/product.sc?productId=600
        Richard D. Hord

P.S. I will keep looking Alan Tast, will also be able to tell ya, cause he has a '63! And my good Dave Dare (simplyconnected) is very seldom wrong! If none of your local autoparts has these I would get on the horn and make some phone calls to big autoparts suppliers! Remember don't buy the first ones you come across check around! And as Dave said (more or less) you get what ya pay for
        Last edited by Guest; May 20, 2011, 04:20 PM.

Comment

• Jimz Bird
          Experienced
          • Feb 3 2011

How about this?

BRAKE SHOE RETRACT SPRING front or rear 4-7/16" long 8 Required
          T-BIRD

1958-1960

Not your year but about the right length and 8 of them.

From here:

On this site:

HTH
          Jim
          Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
          sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

• xpnsv
            • Feb 12 2011

Hey Richard, thanks for your reply and info. I have checked out these sites and they seem to only offer complete kits. I have all the hold down springs and other hardware, just need the return springs. Found one site that lists Raybestos H131 as a replacement for my 63, but then again another sites says that it work fit. Don't know who to believe. By the way, NICE 60, I once owned a white 59 and a black 60 myself along with a 59 Galaxy retractable and now this 63 Sports Roadster.
            Thanks again,
            Jeff

Comment

• xpnsv
              • Feb 12 2011

Thanks Jim, That seems to be the size that I need and I tried the link you posted for parts123 and that link wasn't working. The 4-7/8 # 2035 or more precise
              c3sz-2035-a is the oem p/n, but the supply houses have it as b5a-2035-a and they measure 7"
              Thanks for you help!
              Jeff

Comment

Hey Jeff,
                Also try Concours Parts and Accessories and T-bird Sanctuary!
                Richard D. Hord

Comment

The 131 is a good number on thespring inthe rabestos parts book. If I remember it was 63to66 used the same brakes inthe rear

Comment

I m wrong its 63 64 same 131 is right for 11" drums the kit would be7101 they must use an H nowadays

Comment

• xpnsv
                      • Feb 12 2011

Hey Guys, Thanks to everyone for your very informative and quick responses to my spring question. This was my first post to this forum and I am impressed by your replies.
                      Thanks, Jeff

Comment

Hey Jeff,
                        That's what we are here for! Keep us posted what you find out
                        Richard D. Hord

Comment

• redstangbob
                          Experienced
                          • Feb 18 2011

Hey Jeff, if there's anything you need to know about a 63, email my buddy Jim Wulf tbird6663@me.com He has the info you need, is a super guy and will help you get you car in shape! tell him redstangbob sent you Here's a link to his site http://www.tbirdgarage.com/Site_2/Welcome.html Good luck, Bob C

Comment

• simplyconnected
                            Administrator
                            • May 26 2009

Jeff, the Ford parts books only specify ONE spring for each shoe:

Your front brakes are shown in second from the last entry (S=Thunderbird, 1963 through '64).
                            This Ford Catalog only goes to 1964 so subsequent years may use the same part.

They are 4-9/16" long, 17-1/2 coils (turns), 5/8" diameter, and both front wheels require four springs (one on each side for the primary shoes and one on each side for the secondary shoes)... C3SZ 2053-A

Notice, the 1963-on Ford Cars (A) use the same part number with a quantity of 8 because they are used on front & rear, LH & RH. That's still one per shoe.

I don't know how four springs could possibly hook over the brake shoe anchor pin. I would still take one off my brake and bring it into my local auto parts store. I have a good one, and they have a great supply of springs and hardware for hot rods, relatively cheap. Carlson makes hardware kits, too.
                            Last edited by simplyconnected; May 21, 2011, 04:48 AM. Reason: I can't spell
                            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎