X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Starter Motors and their Seals

This thread really revolves around a few topics because Ford used the same starter motor on many engines and for many years. It is in keeping that the seal surrounding that starter would be also used on the same engines.
    Originally posted by Joe Johnston
    Is this the same seal as used on the 272-312 Y-Blocks?

I have also seen many later FE's without the seal but some with - and the same with the Y-Blocks, however the part looks/functions the same. I used it on my 57, but not on the 63 and all is well with both.
    Originally posted by partsetal
    Joe, This seal started as B4A 6436 A and was used on all V-8's from 1954 from 1959. It shows up again from 1960 to 1962 for the 352, 390, 406, 427 and 430 but as C2AZ-6436-A. However there is no reference to the earlier number being replaced or superceded by the newer one even though they are both listed for the 352 motor.
    Since the listing stops at the 62 390, I suspect that for 63 on, Ford used a spacer plate between the engine and bell housing.
    Carl
    Flat head, Y-block, MEL, and FE engines shared this same part from 1954 thru 1962 on all Full-size Ford and Thunderbird Cars:
    Attached Files
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

• Joe Johnston
    Super-Experienced
    • Dec 23 2008

Thanks for the info. I will have to try and find old ones in my "save-is" box and compare numbers. (I really need to throw a bunch of junk out, but for some reason it never happens!)

Comment

• tbird430
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 18 2007

My 1960 Bird with 430cid had the partial remains of that metal ring starter seal on it. I'm the 2nd owner of this car too..

-Jon in TX.
      sigpic
      The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎