This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:24 AM
KULTULZ

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post

I did not suggest the alt in a gen case because I was thinking of the Gener-Nater version http://www.gener-nator.com/orders.htm

That unit is like nearly $900! I did not realize that PowerGen makes one also for a lot less. We even have the link to it in the TRL!
I just glanced over the website and have come to the conclusion the product he offers (Gener-Nater) is appearance correct and offers much more detail, hence the cost.

If I were doing a DEDICATED RESTORATION (and was independently wealthy) I would choose his product.

Power-Gen offers the same (or near same product) in a much less detailed version. It is all that is needed for a mild restoration/upgrade.

The FE BIRD ALT conversion is much more forward but the MEL conversion has not been detailed yet (to my knowledge).

I think it is a good product for someone that is not mechanically inclined and has to pay outside labor. One can apply a decal and a few other details and the slight appearance difference(s) would not be noticed by most people.

But then again, I am anal...
Old 07-03-2010, 05:00 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I am not one to tell owners what to do with their rides, but I will offer food for thought and sound ideas.

A modern Ford 130-amp anternator costs around $50 or so from a bone yard, complete with harnesses and plugs. (Right Ray? Ray just sent me one from his local bone yard, for that price.)

Even if you paid a mechanic to fabricate a couple brackets, the cost of the alt and the labor will be less than the PowerGen.

Even if the PowerGen bolts to your brackets, it is a 'one of a kind' low-amperage alternator that NO autoparts store will deal with. So, what will you end up with? Another unique part that is underpowered, overpriced, and you're locked in.

Use common sense and modern OEM production parts that can be found in every auto parts store across the whole country. Brackets may be a little tricky, but once they are made, they should last forever. That's my choice, but you do what you want since it's your car. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 07-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Cool

Dave, I think the PowerGen fills the gap with those of us who preffer to stay "original" with our old Birds. This unit allows our engine compartment to look OE, but still have SOME modern day edge- as far as driveability is concerned....

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:45 AM
KULTULZ

Thumbs up

And this is why I suggested the unit to the owner.

He is at the mercy of a repair shop. Most shops would never take-on such a modification as it most likely will require more time and effort than it is worth to them. A specialty custom shop will cost an arm and leg.

Now if one is able to perform his own repairs and fabricate (and is not concerned regarding originality) a later ALT swap is acceptable.

Decals are available to make it appear as OEM. It is also one-wire which will make the original regulator and harness unnecessary. I (myself) would disable the components and leave them installed to complete the original appearance.

There is also a huge chance in using take-off parts. What if he had paid the bill for the conversion and either the ALT was defective or later took a dive? He would still have to find a replacement (if the warranty was good) and pay the shop again to install the ALT. It would be more reasonable (IMO) to at least have the take-off checked before install or use it as a core for a quality rebuild. When all of the dust settles, he will have about the same amount of money invested.

60A @idle and 70A @ cruising is more than enough for this car. Compare the output to the original GEN.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:06 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
...[WARNING: I am a FORD PURIST and do not approve of GM ONE-WIRE conversions. They cause too many problems...
Quote:
And this is why I suggested the unit to the owner. ...It is also one-wire which will make the original regulator and harness unnecessary...
"PowerGEN provides the looks of a generator with the output & reliability of an alternator, and offers one-wire operation." -PowerGen

Ok, which is it? I'm laughing my butt off as I read these contradictions. You guys who don't wrench on your cars, beware. Don't spend a load of money for an inferior part that is unique and expensive.

"Use common sense and modern OEM production parts that can be found in every auto parts store across the whole country."

But hey, it's your money and your car. Do what you want. I found 70-amps to be inadaquate for an electric fan. So did OEM's. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 07-06-2010, 07:28 AM
KULTULZ

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post

"PowerGEN provides the looks of a generator with the output & reliability of an alternator, and offers one-wire operation." -PowerGen

Ok, which is it? I'm laughing my butt off as I read these contradictions. You guys who don't wrench on your cars, beware. Don't spend a load of money for an inferior part that is unique and expensive.

"Use common sense and modern OEM production parts that can be found in every auto parts store across the whole country."

But hey, it's your money and your car. Do what you want. I found 70-amps to be inadaquate for an electric fan. So did OEM's. - Dave
I am glad you find it so humorous.

I made this suggestion to an owner that was looking for the easiest way out. I gave him my thoughts. It is his decision of how he wants to go about it.

Now seeing as common dialog cannot be presented here and you seeming to be a little over protective of your views, I will retire from posting here.

This is supposedly a hobbyist site where information can be exchanged among enthusiasts. It seems I was mistaken.

If this and other discussions are going to cause you so much uneasiness, I will simply move on.

Maybe between your laughing fits, you cam make up a few conversion bracket sets and sell them here?
Old 07-06-2010, 12:19 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

I'm the 2nd owner of my '60 430cid Bird. I'm staying as original as possible. I do not have electric fans. I like the advantages & O.E. look of the PowerGen.

Like I said. It fills a "niche".

Your comments ARE appreciated "KULTULZ". You have given us so much good information over the years on this site alone...

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Last edited by tbird430 : 07-06-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:00 PM
Super-Experienced

GTE427 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This is supposedly a hobbyist site where information can be exchanged among enthusiasts. It seems I was mistaken.

If this and other discussions are going to cause you so much uneasiness, I will simply move on.
I hope you'll reconsider and continue to contribute to this forum. Unfortuately it's the one 'aw cramp' that usually stands out above the many "at-a-boys", numerous people contribute to and read this forum, the views of one person doesn't reflect the views of everyone else. I value the knowledge base and contributions you personally bring to this site with regards to Originally and also functionally, hope that you'll continue to do so.

I likewise consider myself a purist, bias-ply, generator, vacuum wiper all suit my needs for the way I drive my car. Others write about those items with great contempt as these don't meet their requirements for the way their cars are driven. I get that. A Battery Tender and a jump box in the trunk and my generator suits me fine. I would now consider the PowerGen when the time comes, but only because of this forum (Kutulz post) that brought it to my attention. Maybe some day I may consider an Alt, that info is also on this forum if I choose that direction. A win-win.

In general, members should be more tolerant and civil with regards to others. I read far too many un-solicited remarks about colors, wheels, tires, fender skirts, equipment, paint schemes, sometimes I feel Simon from Idol is on this forum, except that people didn't post here to be judged or criticized, they came here for the collaboration.

Kutulz, look forward to your continuing contributions.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Experienced

vernz is on a distinguished road

Kutulz, I am another one who would sorely miss your contributions. Especially since I have 2 J-Birds and your expertise on those engines is priceless. E-mail can be a tough communication tool because the body language and voice inflection of direct communication is missing. If not careful it is easy to step on someone when you would never do so in person.

Vern
Old 07-06-2010, 07:43 PM
KULTULZ

Thumbs up

THANX GUYS!

Much appreciated...