X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RustyNCa
    Super-Experienced
    • May 31 2007

Originally posted by keith
    Yes it is a factory 1962 setup. The truck is in storage. But I can get a picture of it. i'll have to move some thing to get to it. May be a week or two till I get time to get out there.

Keith
    Cool no big hurry, just like seeing setups for ideas in the future

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

1959 T-Bird Build

Keith, thanks for posting the pix! Someone went to great lengths to cover up a lot of problems and in doing so, took in someone who was not expecting anything like that. That is a shame. It worries me that I could find something like that under my paint when they start taking it off in a few weeks. However, the guys who are going to paint it have been in the auto repair, restoration and paint business for decades. Three of them went over the whole car with their hands, and their eyes from front to back. They said that the body is really nice and straight and that they do not think there is anything under the paint to be worried about. Except one area behind the drivers door, down at the bottom that has some rust they think, but nothing that cannot be easily fixed. I hope they are right because if they find what you found, I am liable to have a second heart attack!!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Keith, you keep on posting. Your pictures are great. Looks like the last body guy did his metal finishing with a jack hammer. He was in a big hurry to be done and get paid. That's what lots of Bondo is for.

A good sheet metal man can replace all that nastiness with some formed solid steel, welded in place. There is nothing wrong with a little lead (I said a little), or a little body putty. I'm not upset about seeing braze if it didn't warp the surrounding steel. I use silicon bronze in my MIG welder all the time because it uses low current which makes less heat, it's strong, and it finishes nicely.

I say, if the guy wants a SBF, FE, MEL, or Y-B, any of those choices can be brought back to original, even if they welded new motor mounts. The owner really doesn't need to conform to anyone else's standards, OR answer to us. Let him appreciate his labor of love the way HE wants it. God knows, if all cars must be bone stock, Chip Foose would starve.

Squarebirds has showcased exotic paint jobs and custom trim packages. Ray Clark's T-bird: Everyone loves it but his car is far from original. It's gorgeous, turns heads, and Ray should enjoy it the way he wants it. I'll go one better; driving a stock Squarebird in today's traffic is dangerous. Especially when little modern cars pull in front and hit the brakes. Many improvements are a must.

Sorry if I made enemies, but I respect owners and I will always defend their freedom to do what they wish with their possessions. - Dave Dare
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• keith
          Super-Experienced
          • Feb 13 2010

Mike, We will build this body. This what we are used to seeing around here rust wise. The craftmanship, well that is sometimes what you see at the used and abused car lot. I've started with worse. I will post a picture of it if it is ok. It's a 1940 ford conv..

Ray, Good luck with your build. Hope everything works out.

Dave, The brass was done with a torch and was starting to turn green under the bondo.

Thanks,

Keith Daleen
          Sedalia, Mo.
          Keith
          Sedalia, Mo.
          sigpic
          CLICK HERE for Keith's web site

Comment

Would love to see ...

the 40'. Good luck on the T-Bird. Should be interesting and educational to see it transformed. Mike

Comment

• Dutchbird
              Experienced

• Dec 20 2005

Originally posted by keith
              Just to make sure it is ok to keep posting on this forum...........

........If it is ok I will keep posting. Again this is your forum and I'm not here to cause any problems.
              Keith
              Hi Keith,

In my opinion it's more than OK to keep us informed!
              Everybody with a car should make it the way he wants it, to feel him/herself 'on top of the world'
              (as long the budget reaches and your dreams can be realized, otherwise keep on.......)
              Everybody has different wishes, dreams and thoughts about cars, that's unique and you should go for it if you have the possibility!!

Thanks for your input and pictures so far, it's highly appreciated by me and we can all learn....
              But I disagree on one thing you've mentioned: It's not OUR Forum, you joined so it is also YOURS now!!!!

(Feel free to post any comments/pictures here within the rules of conduct)

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                Super-Experienced
                • Jun 30 2009

heck yeah, keep posting!

I can periodically post pics of my Bird's butchery to divert attention away from you, if need be.
                http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• vernz
                  Experienced
                  • Jul 12 2008

Keith,

I'd love to see your work in progress pictures. I'm toying with doing body work myself.....mine needs rocker panels, but I'm a novice. Some good how to pictures would be very helpful.

Vern

Comment

• keith
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Feb 13 2010

Originally posted by gaffney1951
                    the 40'. Good luck on the T-Bird. Should be interesting and educational to see it transformed. Mike
                    Ok not to get off topic this is the '40. I started on it in Dec of 1997 and finished it in July of 2002. Yep almost 5 years. Nights and weekends.

Keith Daleen
                    Sedalia, Mo.
                    Keith
                    Sedalia, Mo.
                    sigpic

Comment

• ncbird
                      Experienced
                      • Jan 5 2008

awesome car

Great car Keith..great looking cabriolet and done right in my mind. I couldnt see if there were top bows..Carson top maybe? chopped 3"? cant tell from the picture but it looks like a deluxe with custom side grills and the head lights are truly classic. I wonder how many restorers go by your car and say "I cant believe what they did to a cherry car".
                      Well done and I cant wait to see your efforts on your bird. thanks for sharing. Grant
                      Grant
                      NCbird on the Coast of NC
                      "Dads Bird" for my father

Comment

Nice job on the 40' ...

really like the hood louvers. What's hiding under the hood? Mike

Comment

• keith
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Feb 13 2010

Originally posted by ncbird
                          Great car Keith..great looking cabriolet and done right in my mind. I couldnt see if there were top bows..Carson top maybe? chopped 3"? cant tell from the picture but it looks like a deluxe with custom side grills and the head lights are truly classic. I wonder how many restorers go by your car and say "I cant believe what they did to a cherry car".
                          Well done and I cant wait to see your efforts on your bird. thanks for sharing. Grant
                          Thank you, We made a lift off Carson stlye top,it is a Deluxe and the headlights are '58 Lincoln.

Keith Daleen
                          Sedalia, Mo.
                          Keith
                          Sedalia, Mo.
                          sigpic

Comment

• keith
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Feb 13 2010

Originally posted by gaffney1951
                            really like the hood louvers. What's hiding under the hood? Mike
                            138 louvers, the motor is a bbc. Not my car nor my choice of engines. This is the only picture I have of the engine.

Keith Daleen
                            Sedalia, Mo.
                            Keith
                            Sedalia, Mo.
                            sigpic

Comment

• keith
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Feb 13 2010

I rolled it outside last Sunday, a balmy 25 degrees and did some sand blasting.

Keith Daleen
                              Sedalia, Mo.
                              Keith
                              Sedalia, Mo.
                              sigpic

Comment

• JohnG
                                John
                                • Jul 28 2003

Keith, what exactly is this first shot of on the car?

Is it a place where rain water could not escape?

What are you using for equipment to sandblast with??

best
                                John
                                1958 Hardtop
                                #8452 TBird Registry
                                http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                                history:
                                http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎