No announcement yet.

Early FE Pulleys

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early FE Pulleys

I'm having difficulty locating a crank pulley (and reasonably priced harmonic balancer for that matter) for my 59 Bird. There are many aftermarket balancers for FE motors that are not compatible with early pulleys and vice versa.
    Does anybody know of particular vintage years of pulleys that are compatible with my 59? For example, a newer crank pulley coupled to a newer balancer may not be compatible with my stock water pump pulley and power steering pulley.
    Also, are dimensions available for balancers/pulley combinations that fit my vintage engine.
    Ultimately, rebuilding my balancer and finding a good vintage pulley is best but pricey.
    Any suggestions are much appreciated.

RE: Early FE Pulleys

I'd be happy to give you the lower pulley and balancer. Only catch is, they are attatched to the rest of the 352 that came out my '59, and you have to take the whole thing. It's complete, starter and gen included, turns over and has compression, been pickled. Anyone interested, bcmccool@msn.com. In sw lower Michingan.

Comment

• 1960Bird
      Experienced
      • Dec 4 2002

The new balancers will work fine, the only difference is that the new ones have degree marks on them rather then just a single point. I have a new one on my 1960 and it goes round and round just fine.

Steve

1960 HT 390, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Shorty Headers, 2-1/2" Exhaust and 3.70 Rear Gears
      390, Mild Cam, Headers, 3.70 rear, 2-1/2" Exhaust, Edelbrok Performer RPM Intake, Holley Street Avenger 670 Carburetor, One Wire Alt, Petronix Ignition. She's All Go and No Show.

Comment

Thanks, but no.

Comment

>The new balancers will work fine, the only difference is
          >that the new ones have degree marks on them rather then just
          >a single point. I have a new one on my 1960 and it goes
          >round and round just fine.
          >
          >Steve
          >
          >1960 HT 390, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Shorty Headers,
          >2-1/2" Exhaust and 3.70 Rear Gears

Steve,
          Did your old pulley(s) bolt up to the new balancer?
          If you used a different pulley, what vintage Ford pulley was it??
          Ultimately, did your new pulley/balancer set-up line-up with your existing stock water pump/power steering/generator pulleys??
          I appreciate your input.

Comment

• 1960Bird
            Experienced
            • Dec 4 2002

Every thing bolted up fine. Also aligned OK. I got the balancer from Mac's Antique Autoparts...part # B8AZ-6359-A. It is listed as fitting 1958-1966.

Steve

1960 HT 390, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Shorty Headers, 2-1/2" Exhaust and 3.70 Rear Gears
            390, Mild Cam, Headers, 3.70 rear, 2-1/2" Exhaust, Edelbrok Performer RPM Intake, Holley Street Avenger 670 Carburetor, One Wire Alt, Petronix Ignition. She's All Go and No Show.

Comment

• byersmtrco
              Super-Experienced
              • Sep 28 2004

I bought the same balancer from a place called NOS Ford Parts in San Jose, Ca. Same part #

________
              COLORADO DISPENSARY
              Last edited by byersmtrco; April 5, 2011, 11:02 AM.

Comment

• JohnG
                John
                • Jul 28 2003

>I bought the same balancer from a place called NOS Ford
                >Parts in San Jose, Ca. Same part #

Related question for all of you above: I have a '58 motor with the original balancer (only a single mark, no degrees). I need to get
                a pulley for the power steering as some idiot used the original to pry on and it is bent. So can I get just any used pulley or are there limitations? From what you have said, balancers seem to be interchangeable so are pulleys as well?

john

1958 Hardtop
                #8452 TBird Registry
                http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                history:
                http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• Alexander
                  Webmaster
                  • Oct 30 2002

The pulley for the power steering is the same for T-Birds and full size Fords from 1958 to 1960 if they did not have A/C. The power steering pulley is the flat hub type, part nymber B8AZ-3A733-A. It is common and should not be very expensive. The pulley for the 1960 T-Bird with A/C is dished like a steering wheel. That pulley is rarer, thus more expensive.

Alexander
                  1959 Hardtop
                  1960 Golde Top
                  Alexander
                  1959 Hard Top
                  1960 Golde Top
                  sigpic

Comment

The factory harmonic balancer has an integral pulley. My Bird has power steering (no A/C) and therefore an additional bolt-on pulley on the damper. My problem is that this bolt-on pulley is bent beyond repair. I've not been able to find a replacement. Also, my original balancer needs to be refurbished or replaced.
                    The Mac's factory-like balancer won't do me any good without a second pulley (which I can't find). So I'm considering a generic FE balancer without an integral pulley. A double crank pulley (that can be bolted to the balancer) is easier to find but the question is which vintage (pre 1968??) of factory pulley fits my accessories??
                    Any ideas would be helpful.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎