X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Traxxas
    Apprentice
    • Apr 24 2010

Questions, questions

Hi'ya TBirders! Long time no questions, till now!

1: The passenger door wont close unless you really slam it or lift and push hard. The door is aligned and fine and nothing is blocking it, it just has a hard time closing, anyone have this happen?

2: The swaybar mounts were busted off when I got it so its agile as a boat now when it turns. I just got the rubber mounts in the mail and my question is, do I have to pull the whole bar to put them on or can I slice the rubber bushings to put them on? If I have to pull it, how hard is it?

3: I have a 428 Cobra Jet engine and its REALLY cold blooded and is there a throttle body conversion kit or some sort of cool fuel injection system I could put on there without spending thousands?

The interior is almost done, I'll put some pictures up tomorrow.
    Last edited by Traxxas; October 5, 2010, 11:05 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
  • Dakota Boy
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 30 2009

Have you installed new door gaskets lately? I had to trim away some gasket material in the dogleg area because I was having the same issue with my passenger door.

Check that something somewhere isnt binding up near the hinge side of the door.
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Traxxas
      2: ...I just got the rubber mounts in the mail and my question is, do I have to pull the whole bar to put them on or can I slice the rubber bushings to put them on?...
      If you bought real rubber, you can use antifreeze as a lubricant, and pull them over the end.

If you got hard urethane, nylon, or plastic (more common) they usually come with a split on the square end.

Your perch should trap the installed bushing, so it can't move. With hard material, I use a little grease on the sway bar. With rubber, I leave it dry.

Nylon gives an earlier start to the anti-sway function because it doesn't compress as much.
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Check the latch in the door. If you are able to spin it without the door handle being pushed in it may just need to be lubricated. I was able to free mine up by removing the top phillips screw and spraying some WD-40 in the hole.
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Traxxas
          Apprentice
          • Apr 24 2010

Originally posted by jopizz
          Check the latch in the door. If you are able to spin it without the door handle being pushed in it may just need to be lubricated. I was able to free mine up by removing the top phillips screw and spraying some WD-40 in the hole.
          That seemed to do it, just WD-40'ed the whole thing and works much better. Not perfect though.

Originally posted by simplyconnected
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Traxxas
          2: ...I just got the rubber mounts in the mail and my question is, do I have to pull the whole bar to put them on or can I slice the rubber bushings to put them on?...
          If you bought real rubber, you can use antifreeze as a lubricant, and pull them over the end.

If you got hard urethane, nylon, or plastic (more common) they usually come with a split on the square end.

Your perch should trap the installed bushing, so it can't move. With hard material, I use a little grease on the sway bar. With rubber, I leave it dry.

Nylon gives an earlier start to the anti-sway function because it doesn't compress as much.
          How much of a pain is it to pull off the bar?

And as promised, pics. The interior is pretty much as far as I can get it. Problem areas include the top chrome bar which holds the review mirror and visors, I need to get a new one or rechromed. The dashboard came out awesome, its a plastic dashcap instead of the vinyl one. The headliner only has a small hole, but thats all it takes to get it replaced.

The exterior hasn't been touched in about 30 years so thats the next project, I'm debating if I should sand a few places on it and let it rust some more and then put a clear coat over top... Any ideas?

(\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(")

Comment

• DKheld
            Super-Experienced
            • Aug 27 2008

THAT"S a plastic cover? Hey I'm impressed - it does look great. My dash is in good shape but hope you don't mind a few questions?

How far does the plastic go? - wrap around all the way to the chrome instrument panel? How about around the glove box and radio? and how is it attached? Glue?

The sway bar (or stabilizer) is simple to take off. 4 bolts (2 each side) for the straps that hold it to the frame. 2 bolts (1 each side) where it mounts to the A arms and 8 more bolts to remove the center support bracket Sometimes you can slide the stabilizer out without taking off the center support but you usually end up taking off a wheel and with the 429 it might be too tight in the pulley area.

Eric
            registry 5347

Comment

• Traxxas
              Apprentice
              • Apr 24 2010

Originally posted by DKheld
              THAT"S a plastic cover? Hey I'm impressed - it does look great. My dash is in good shape but hope you don't mind a few questions?

How far does the plastic go? - wrap around all the way to the chrome instrument panel? How about around the glove box and radio? and how is it attached? Glue?

The sway bar (or stabilizer) is simple to take off. 4 bolts (2 each side) for the straps that hold it to the frame. 2 bolts (1 each side) where it mounts to the A arms and 8 more bolts to remove the center support bracket Sometimes you can slide the stabilizer out without taking off the center support but you usually end up taking off a wheel and with the 429 it might be too tight in the pulley area.

Eric
              registry 5347
              We offer dash caps to repair dashboards in autos and trucks. Our selection includes foreign and domestic cars and trucks.

I think that was the site, it was a present to me so I'm unsure. But for 100 bucks its a great replacement. It was attached just by the way the original one was, those top brackets. The radio also holds it in really well. Its a snug fit, even since my old vinyl one was out. No glue and its super sturdy. And its a exact copy of the vinyl one.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(")

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Questions, questions

Regarding the chrome strip the sun visors and mirror attaches to... It is pot metal. I had mine re-chromed, and it bent up the ends so badly that it would not go back in place. They tried to fix it, but it did not do the trick. Save yourself the headache and cost of having it re-chromed and buy a new one. Bird Nest and I am sure the others have them..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Traxxas
                  Apprentice
                  • Apr 24 2010

Has anyone found a cheap EFI or TBI systems? I'm hoping for a cheap Chinese knockoff!
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(")

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

That dash cover looks great. How well does it fit down at the door opening near the windlace.
                    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• Traxxas
                      Apprentice
                      • Apr 24 2010

Originally posted by jopizz
                      That dash cover looks great. How well does it fit down at the door opening near the windlace.
                      Its pretty tight and snugs up on the sides fine. You guys with the vinyl dashboards shouldn't have much trouble if you put it over top. The only thing you really need to do to it is cut out the radio hole.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎