No announcement yet.

Another Trick: Brighter Tail Lights using Chrome Mylar

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Trick: Brighter Tail Lights using Chrome Mylar

Last year another guy in the Vintage Thunderbird Club of Houston, was following me back from the Houston AutoRama Car Show after we droped off our cars we had on display. He ask me "what the heck did you do to your tail lights to make them so bright?" I was in my 1986 mild custom GMC truck. Well, I told him that I applied chrome mylar tape to the reflectors. He ended up doing it to his '62 Bullet Bird.

A few months ago, I thought about doing it to my SB. I was not sure because to get the most effiecent light, you would use flat white. But to aim the light for directed brightness including directing it back into a reflector/refractor, you would use specular (mirror). (20 yrs ago, I designed light HID fixtures including for all of Ford's Dealerships, as listed in their Rotunda catalog). I applied chrome mylar tape to the SB's 6 reflectors. The tape is usually about 1/2 or 3/4 inch wide and obtained from an Art Supply type of store or on the internet. It took me several hours to complete the job. I also placed the backup light in the center (reversable)so as to equally fill the tail light cove with light. The chrome tape now reflects the light back into the lens refractors and aims it to the rear. When you walk around the rear of the car with the lights on, the reflector/refractor molded into the lenses SPARKLES. Very new and bright looking.

The photo I am sending to ye ole Webmaster shows the tail lights with the lights on. Note that the brake lights and backup lights ARE NOT ON! When viewed in 3D and when moving past the lights, it really is cool looking. The photo just gives an idea. I don't think it would be recognized as being non-original when being judged or just on static display. Not counting the changed position of the backup lights that is.

You would think I have too much time on my hands........

But then again, I am a car nut!
  • tarps3
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 21 2003

RE: Another Trick: Brighter Tail Lights using Chrome M

thanks for all your tips - keep 'em coming.

When I repaced the lenses on my '60, the white reflectors were in pretty bad shape (peeling paint, etc).
    I bought some simulated chrome spray paint and painted them with that. Not as shiny as your idea but still much brighter than before.

Thanks for sharing your ideas. Your gauges look stunning!
    Casey

Comment

>The photo I am sending to ye ole Webmaster shows the tail
      >lights with the lights on. Note that the brake lights and
      >backup lights ARE NOT ON! When viewed in 3D and when moving
      >past the lights, it really is cool looking. The photo just
      >gives an idea. I don't think it would be recognized as
      >being non-original when being judged or just on static
      >display. Not counting the changed position of the backup
      >lights that is.
      >
      >
      Can we all see that photo please
      mark

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

Alexander
        1959 Hardtop
        1960 Golde Top
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
          Experienced
          • Feb 6 2012

I wanted to bump this thread because this is really cool. I always wanted to brighten up my tail lights. This might just do it for me.
          Attached Files
          VTCI# 11860
          58HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37043 (Sold)

60HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37252 "Lucille" (Sold)

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎