Overheating and A/C...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overheating and A/C...

Hi all,

It's been a long hot summer here in Texas. I've had to drive my alternate car almost everyday in August.(100+ temps causing me to overheat...) I've had the radiator totally brushed out and cleaned. I was going to replace the thermostat, but whomever owned the car before me has welded, yes welded the resovior to the pipe...But I really don't think that's the problem. I just think it's too **** hot here. I had a local friend suggest that I replace my stock radiator with a two inch one and add a shroud. What do ya think?

I read the previous post, and honestly got confused with some of the suggestions. I'm just learning about cars amd have my manuals on hand, but...I'm still a novice....And I got my a/c up and running, but can't use it because i overheat even faster. The gentleman who worked on my radiator totally talked down to me about how you can't use your a/c when you're on the highway/traffic...Does anyone know of a good solution to this very irritating problem?

Also, I was thinking of adding an aftermarket a/c (to the tune of $2500), but if it's going to overheat, it'll be a waste. I'm having some small regrets about making this my daily driver in the horrible heat of Texas....

Trying to sweat in a delicate way....
    CG
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Overheating and A/C...

Honestly, the cooling system of the thunderbird is stress in warm weather even without A/C. the radiator is symply not tall enough. The expansion tank was an inexpensive attempt to solve the problem. Unfortunately it is a suboptimal solution. Putting the A/C on in traffic will lead to overheating. I have not been able to do that ever with my 1959 in hot weather.

The improvements you can make to your car are:
    [ul][li]install a higher flow water pump
    [li]have a four core radiator made up for you
    [li]use Evan's coolant
    [li]Add a fan shroud - some late 1960's with air had this, but no reproductions are being made
    [li]install an electric fan - but only if you have an alternator. A generator will not genarate enough electricity in slow traffic to keep the battery charge.[/ul]

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

I would start off with a fan shroud and Evans and you should see a significant difference in temp.

Dave
      non squarebird owner

Comment

Thanks Guys! I'm going to get to work on these improvements...I have a couple of parades coming up in the holiday season and would hate to overheat in the midle of it.
        CG

Comment

I have a 59 that runs hot too....several of the posts mention EVAN coolant.........does anyone know where that can be bought?

Comment

• Alexander
            Webmaster
            • Oct 30 2002

The Solution to boilover and corrosion. Preventing Engine Overheating. Evans waterless coolants offer several benefits to save you money, time and engine wear.

Alexander
            1959 Hardtop
            1960 Golde Top
            Alexander
            1959 Hard Top
            1960 Golde Top
            sigpic

Comment

I'm pickling up my Evans today...But I might be out of the bad weather soon, but you never know in Texas.
              CG

Comment

Okay, so I switched out the coolant, but I can't find a 7lb pressure radiator cap like the instructions ask you to switch to. The one I do have is 13lb. Anybody know where I can find one or if I can use the 13lb one-that I bought three weeks ago....
                CG
                1960 Black Hard Top

Comment

• Alexander
                  Webmaster
                  • Oct 30 2002

You can use the 23 lb one with no problem. The only reason why they specify a 7lb cap is that with the Evans coolant you do not need to raise the pressure in the system so much to raise the boiling point to a safe margin.

Alexander
                  1959 Hardtop
                  1960 Golde Top
                  Alexander
                  1959 Hard Top
                  1960 Golde Top
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢