X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anders
    Super-Experienced
    • Jan 19 2008

The Garage project....

Due to plenty of reasons, this project have taken more time than expected. But as I did all preparation and build up to this stage by myself, I have to learn in the progress as well...
    However, today the concrete finally came.
    More to come before Ruth is moving in to her own house

One thing that happend in September, before I put on all the iron on is that an Elk was running over the whole isolation ( the white stuff ), leaving quite big footsteps, before he ( or she ) turned left, crashing into and destroed the fence. Yes, I live like a minute to the forrest, and we have roe deers here on a daily basis, and quite ofter Elks eating our Apples..... Once, two where sleeping after eating themself drunk on Apples that have fallen to the ground. They are nicer sober....
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Anders; November 20, 2008, 06:21 PM.
    sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
  • Dan Leavens
    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Anders I see that you get a fair amount of snow similar to us here in Calgary. Being so close to the mountains our snow fall is just starting and fortunately, I have all the cars put away for the winter. You will enjoy the new garage and the new home for Ruth. The trick now, is to plan where you are going to put all the little parts, accessories, tools and knick knacks that are required for the classic. Looks great.

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
    Thunderbird Registry
    58HT #33317
    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Anders
      Super-Experienced
      • Jan 19 2008

Well, The garage is 10,2 meters times 4,8 meters, so I think itīs OK for one car. Iīts enough for having booth doors opend, and have a little workshop in the far end
      10 meters= 32,8 feet....
      Last edited by Anders; November 20, 2008, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• tbird430
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 18 2007

Well done. I bet your bird is smiling a little bit after hearing all of that commotion.
        sigpic
        The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

Anders' New Garage

Anders, It was great emailing with you today and being able to check your home and lot out on satellite view with multimap.com. It is a small world, it seems, we live in when I can click a picture of your home on my computer. I did that to my mother and emailed her a pic of her home and told her I was checking up on her. Yes the satellite view pic was about 5 years old. The satellite pic of my house is at least that old as well cause it was taken before I cut a big oak tree down 5 years ago. Was fun to hear about your elk. I live next to the Mississippi River and lots of wooded areas and have many wildlife occurances as well. Best of success to you on your new garage. I will be in touch with you after Thanksgiving when I get your Bird stuff shipped off to you.

Best Birding,
          Jed Zimmerman
          58ht

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

The Garage project...

Hi Anders!

Thanks for the pictures of your garage being built and your comments about the elk. I dont think I would want to have a run in with a drunk elk, or a sober one either for that matter! It sounds like you are going to have sufficient area to work on Ruth once it is completed. Will it be heated so you can work on her in comfort in the winter?

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
            Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Anders
              Super-Experienced
              • Jan 19 2008

Heat? You bet! Thatīs why I have a thick isolation down to the ground. And I will have a Whiskey, Cigar and a Espressocorner as well as a big flat TV on the wall, showing Overhauliīn all the time. This is where Susanne will find me in the future.

Comment

• LuckyJay
                • Jan 4 2007

Great thread and great discussion. Only makes me wish I had enough space here in Iowa for a similar garage.

Comment

• Anders
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jan 19 2008

A little update.
                  As I have been free from work for two 1/2 week, I though it was perfect timing for "get going" on the garage. I was very lucky as it have been quite sunny every day ( from 9:00 in the morning until 3:30 in the afternoon when it suddenly become BLACK again... ) And it have been quite cold. Down to 12 degree Farenheit. But no complains, The structure is up, and the roof is isolated, so next up is to put up the panel for the sides, bring in the electrics, isolate the sides and start with the interior walls and roof
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Anders; January 6, 2009, 11:52 AM.

Comment

• Dan Leavens

• Oct 4 2006

Anders it looks like it is coming along great and she is a real beauty. Now that the framing and pad are all done good luck with the wiring and panelling.

Thunderbird Registry
                    58HT #33317
                    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Petrolhead
                      Experienced
                      • Jul 2 2007

Very well built Anders, you won't know yourself.

Comment

• YellowRose
                        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

The Garage project....

Thanks for the pix, Anders! Great looking job! I have some questions.. Are you doing all the work yourself? Or do you have someone to help you? Have you considered snow loading on your roof? With the heavy snows there, the last thing you would want is to have the roof cave in on Ruth due to excessive roof snow load. Would a pitched roof have been a better design? Or a slightly raised roof line? If you have taken into consideration the amount of snow you get in the winter and have built the roof to accommodate that and then some, you should be okay. Just thinking out loud! I dont want to see Ruth get damaged..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Anders
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Jan 19 2008

Yeah, I have done all by myself. It was a drag to hold the planks, the spiritguage, the drill, the screw and the consol at the same time try to get it strait....
                          But I never do the electric stuff myself.
                          I needed to build it as low as I could, otherwise I would kill all light to the kitchen, but still be able to bring in the front port. I got 3 mm ( 1/8 ) to play with now .
                          Regarding snow, well, I build it as oversized I could. Instead of the recommended 95 mm ( 3,74 inch ) in the structure, I have 120 mm ( 4,72 inch ). And instead of having big ones over the roof every 1200mm apart, I double it to every 600 mm, so It is already stronger than you must have in north Sweden where it actually snows alot. If I need, I can easely remove any snow also, so I feel quite safe to be honest. Gotheburg is located on the westcoast, so itīs in something "they" call Zone 1. North of Sweden is Zone 4 or 5...The extra thickness also gives me better isolation, so Itīs cheeper to keep it warm and nice.

But by now, most part of my body hurts as h*ll....Everywhere.
                          Last edited by Anders; January 7, 2009, 02:01 AM.

Comment

• Dan Leavens

• Oct 4 2006

Anders I know what you mean about having the electrical done by someone qualified. I had an experience several years ago with 120 volts that still reminds me to not even get involved. I have a son-in-law that does all that now. By the way last Feb/March you started a thread " What options do I have ". Did you ever find out completely what those short words meant on the 58?? SW Pk.A etc??

Thunderbird Registry
                            58HT #33317
                            60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Anders
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by Dan Leavens
                              By the way last Feb/March you started a thread " What options do I have ". Did you ever find out completely what those short words meant on the 58?? SW Pk.A etc??

Unfortunally not.

Looking back, I couldnīt understand:
                              "SW
                              Pk. A
                              T. Ind
                              BUL
                              PAW
                              I guess BUL is Back Up Lights, but as far as the rest, I still donīt know.

Could "SW" be Short Wave Radio perhaps????
                              Last edited by Anders; January 7, 2009, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎