• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OX1
    Super-Experienced
    • Feb 10 2016

Originally posted by simplyconnected
    What modern car comes with std brakes? - Dave
    Last one I know of was our 77 Granada, it had manual disk brakes.
    I remember my mother saying how bad they were.. She was driving a 60 bird
    up until 77, so for her to complain after the birds crappy brakes, was saying
    something. My dad flying up and down the road locking up the brakes, telling
    here she was essentially full of it. Course he was 6-1, 230 at the time.
    Great childhood memories, HAHAHA!!
    59-430-HT

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Robin was mortified to learn that our '55 has no backup lights. I'm still laughing...

I agree, all disk brakes absolutely need a booster.

Back in the day, power brakes were RARE. Because we had huge family cars, everyone gave enough space between cars to stop. Most cars were slow to start and slow to stop.

Back in the late '50s, my 47 yr-old mother learned to drive our '54 Ford station wagon. It had a Mileage Maker Six, three speed manual column shift, manual steering and manual brakes. Basically, dad bought it (new) to cart our family of seven to church and on vacations. She was determined to learn as she took driver's ed., on weekends at our high school, in Michigan Winter.

Dad never knew she had her license. One Sunday, Mom made a comment about Dad's driving. He pulled the car over and said, "Catherine, if you think you can do better, YOU DRIVE!" She did. Dad was in shock for days afterward... Back then, it was common for housewives not to drive. Neither of my grandmothers did and neither did my mother's sisters. Robin was over 40 when she got her license. I say, 'necessity is the mother of invention.' - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• OX1
        Super-Experienced
        • Feb 10 2016

HAHA!!. The stuff that the cell phone generation will never experience. I almost feel bad for them sometimes........

Originally posted by simplyconnected
        Robin was mortified to learn that our '55 has no backup lights. I'm still laughing...

I agree, all disk brakes absolutely need a booster.

Back in the day, power brakes were RARE. Because we had huge family cars, everyone gave enough space between cars to stop. Most cars were slow to start and slow to stop.

Back in the late '50s, my 47 yr-old mother learned to drive our '54 Ford station wagon. It had a Mileage Maker Six, three speed manual column shift, manual steering and manual brakes. Basically, dad bought it (new) to cart our family of seven to church and on vacations. She was determined to learn as she took driver's ed., on weekends at our high school, in Michigan Winter.

Dad never knew she had her license. One Sunday, Mom made a comment about Dad's driving. He pulled the car over and said, "Catherine, if you think you can do better, YOU DRIVE!" She did. Dad was in shock for days afterward... Back then, it was common for housewives not to drive. Neither of my grandmothers did and neither did my mother's sisters. Robin was over 40 when she got her license. I say, 'necessity is the mother of invention.' - Dave
        59-430-HT

Comment

• Deanj
          Super-Experienced
          • Nov 26 2015

I need to reiterate that Mac's sells the pads only for $10-$15. You can remove your old pedal, remove the pad, use 3M weather strip adhesive to install a new pad on the old bolt-on part. Wait a day and it comes out solid. Just an alternative to buying the $40-$50 complete part.

Dean

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎