• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbird61
    Apprentice
    • Jan 2 2007

Copper Exhaust Gaskets

Greetings!

I have leaking manifoilds on my 1961 390 FE , and have tried some standard FEL-PRO gaskets, but it won't seal properly, so I tought I would try the Copper Exhaust Gaskets suggested on this forum.

I could not find it where suggested, so i looked at summit, and found theese:

SCE Pro Copper Embossed Exhaust Gaskets (Summit: SCE-4034 )

Is this the gaskets in question, and does it fit my engine?

Thanks in advanve for any reply.

Regards
    Ronny

I think that was jipjob and he got them at napa. I couldn't find the post. The ones from the factory were some kind of metal i think and some had none at all. I have a 60 & 66 luckily i don't need them yet. Worked on a bunch of trucks with FE motors in them back in the day and you couldn't get
    copper gaskets. But i guess you can now. That would have fixed alot of probs back then.good luck.................Bill

Comment

Hi this JIPJOB (Jon) and I got a set of exhaust gaskets at my local parts store. They looked to be made of carbon material and are about 3/16" thick. They cost about 45 dollars for the pair and worked great. I will go out and look in my garage for the packaging or call up the place I bought these special gaskets. They really work great and I really didn't want to pull the heads to have them machined flat and the exhaust manifold also machined. If I was a purist I would have had the head machined but this was a very easy fix and it works.

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

Those SCE gaskets for a 390 will fit your engine. They solved my decade old exhaust leak problem. Have not had a problem in the decade since.
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

• thunderbird61
          Apprentice
          • Jan 2 2007

Tanks for all the replys! I will go shopping now :-)

I have one more question. I bought a tube of som Permatex
          exhaust sealant. Is this something you guys would recomend using in conjunction with the copper gaskets?

Regards
          Ronny

Comment

• Alexander
            Webmaster
            • Oct 30 2002

Not necessary with a good gasket. It just makes the manifold hard to get off.
            Alexander
            1959 Hard Top
            1960 Golde Top
            sigpic

Comment

The gasket set I bought for my T Bird Exhaut manifold is call Remflex, I hope this helps-Jon

Here is there WEB site:http://www.remflex.com/

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎