No announcement yet.

Burning oil

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burning oil

Al My 59 hdt. with the 430 has been burning about a quart of oil every 1500 miles. I have been told not to worry. Not a problem. It has also been suggested that I run a quart of transmission fluid with the next oil change.The transmission fluid will clean up any sticky oil left in the rings etc. Anybody with any experience or suggestions?:+
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Burning oil

Don't put transmission fluid in you oil. Don't put any cleaner or viscosity agent in you engine. The cleaner will dislodge deposits that will clog your oil pickup screen which will cause engine failure. Viscosity agents are only good if you are planning on dumping the car on an unsuspecting buyer. It does not help the engine.

One quart of oil in 1500 miles is not terrible. If you are not blowing blue smoke at idle or on acceleration you are still okay.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

Al Thanks for the advice. No smoke at idle or gentle acceleration. I do notice some smoke when I hit the accelerator at 40 or 45 MPH. and get it up to the 90 MPH. Would that indicate any serious problem ?

Comment

• JohnG
        John
        • Jul 28 2003

one quart of oil sounds pretty good! There are alot of new cars that dont do any better than that. My worn out TBird was using a quart every 125 miles before I rebuilt it.

The only thing, short of taking it apart and checking all components (a big undertaking!) would be to make sure that it is not leaking in any significant way. The suspect areas include: rear main seal,valve covers, oil pressure sending unit and oil pan.

Do you know any of its history? If it has never been apart, the valve guide seals may be old, hard, and useless. I am told that with the right tools these can be changed with the motor in the car but I have personally not done it (the trick is getting the valve springs off and back on).

A compression or leak down test would yield more information about where any compression loss (and therefore possible oil loss) might be occuring.

In the end it comes down to how perfect you want it to be and how hard you are willing to get there. A quart in 1500 miles is certainly not bad...

john
        58 Hardtop
        1958 Hardtop
        #8452 TBird Registry
        http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
        history:
        http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

Al Everything is running well. No leaks anywhere. Guess I will leave well enough alone and be happy.

Comment

• JBird
            Experienced
            • May 22 2005

That's normal. If you were burning a quart to 1,000 that would still be ok. When you get to a quart in 500 or 600 miles it's time to fix it.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎