Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeepers94
    • Sep 16 2010

Another new guy with a question

Hi , I bought a 61 convertible a couple of days ago. I haven't got it yet, should be here tuesday. It is in great
    shape except the door panels along the top rail. They are cracked in a couple of places. Is there a way to cover(cap)
    these, should I take it to an upholsterer, or buy new panels?
    Replacement panels look to be about $600 with shipping.
    I need black,and thought used shouldn't be too hard to find,but I can't find any. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I do want it to look original.
    I see panel caps for 62 1/2 to 63 birds,but have not seen any for 61-62. Any help would be welcome.

Hey Douglas,
    Welcome to Squarebirds!
    You should be able to find a good upholstery shop close to you. Ask if they have references and make calls. Also they should be familiar with auto upholstery! Keep us posted!!!
    Richard D. Hord

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Welcome Jeepers94. Check out:
      SMS Auto Fabrics - (503) 263-3525
      350 South Redwood St., Canby, OR 97013

They specialize in seat materials but they also have some door/quarter trim panels for our cars. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jeepers94
        • Sep 16 2010

Well,I decided to replace them with new panels. So far I have contacte 3 vendors listed on this forum. I am still waiting for price delivered. It seems they claim it is an
        oversized item, so they can't give me a delivery charge
        until they ship it. I would think they have sold a few of these, so they should have some idea of charges.
        On another note, what do you guys use to clean and
        polish the ribbed interior trim? I am interested in the polishes and a buffing wheel type of product!

Comment

• 62 bullitt
          • Jul 21 2009

Try Bird Nest Parts, they have reasonable prices. For your trim try Surf City Garage Killer Chrome in my opinion the best stuff made hands down, makes your aluminum, chrome, and stainless look like new and does not scratch. JP

Comment

• jeepers94
            • Sep 16 2010

I went with Bobs Bird House.He was the best price and gave shipping cost before shipping.He seems like a very nice guy.I also ordered a day/night mirror. Mine is a little cloudy. I was going tp order new front seat covers,mine are fairly new,but have a small burn spot. A good vinyl repair guy should be able to fix it.
            As for cleaning the ribbed moulding,I bought a few 3m pads and some buffing and polishing compound. It seems to work,but it is slow going. The door moulding should be easy if I do it when it is off for the door panel change.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎