X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lawyercalif
    Experienced
    • May 12 2011

Engine Change on Temp Hold for Suspension

My 59 convertible is in the shop to install the rebuilt 390 and C6 transmission. They pulled the engine today and then noticed that my lower A Arm bushings were in bad shape. So I had to make a run to Larry's T-Bird and get new bushings. While we are at it I decided to replace the upper arm bushings too.

When they went to install the lower driver side A Arm bushing they found the mounting hole was cracked so it needed a weld. Nice to find it now. Its much easier to do this work with the engine out. Just shows old cars are always full of surprises, pays to check everything.
    Hopefully they will have the front end repaired by tomorrow and then get back on the engine and trans.
    Attached Files
  • scumdog
    Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

This is why we have mandatory Warrant of Fitness checks here in New Zealand, to pick up on that sort of thing..

Some car owners would do nothing in the way of maintenance unless they were forced to.
    A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

***Reminder***
      Keep your bushings loose until the car is on level ground. Then tighten them (per the Shop Manual).

I agree, Scumdog... how does anyone do a front end alignment with no bushings?
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• lawyercalif
        Experienced
        • May 12 2011

I found out why you need to wait till the car is on the ground to tighten the suspension bolts. I told the guys working on my car not to tighten them until the car was on the ground. They did as I asked but there was one problem. They put the car down with the engine and trans still out of the car and the tightened the bolts. Then they installed the engine and trans. When I looked at it today it looked like a Gasser being launched hard at the drag strip.
        They have promised to loosen the bolts again and then re-torque them with the car on the ground.

Other than that the 390 and C6 are installed they just have to deal with some linkage problems and a few other small items and it should be good to go in a couple of days. I will post some pictures soon.

Comment

• Jimz Bird
          Experienced
          • Feb 3 2011

Hope you got a picture of it. That sounds cool.

Well, at least now that you know how to fix it.
          Jim
          Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
          sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Originally posted by lawyercalif
            ...When I looked at it today it looked like a Gasser being launched hard at the drag strip..
            Daniel, this is serious. Your mechanics only needed to follow the instructions in the Shop Manual. If not tightened while the car is 'flat', you will pre-load the urethane, twisting them passed their normal range of motion and tear them up. Make SURE they do it right or you will be replacing your bushings (again) very soon.

I hope this info gets to you in time. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by simplyconnected

Daniel, this is serious. Your mechanics only needed to follow the instructions in the Shop Manual. If not tightened while the car is 'flat', you will pre-load the urethane, twisting them passed their normal range of motion and tear them up. Make SURE they do it right or you will be replacing your bushings (again) very soon.

I hope this info gets to you in time. - Dave
              AGREED!

They need to loosen the bolts before installing the engine. Lower the engine and then re-torque the bushings.

Once the insulators are twisted, they will never settle to proper trim level.

Comment

• lawyercalif
                Experienced
                • May 12 2011

Too late the engine is already installed. I can only hope that it will settle when they loosen the bolts.

I printed out the page of the shop manual for them, but I guess they didn't understand that the engine had to be installed first.
                Last edited by lawyercalif; April 26, 2012, 10:38 AM.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

We run into this a lot, where mechanics really don't understand what's really going on. You may want to search for mechanics who know better.

Notice (in your picture), the inner sleeve of your bushings have teeth on the ends? That is to make sure the sleeve does not turn on the bolt or shaft. So, the only part that flexes is the urethane. Urethane only twists so far before it separates and breaks apart.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• lawyercalif
                    Experienced
                    • May 12 2011

Spoke to the mechanic and he swears they have not tightened the bolts yet.
                    He was not there when I looked at the car yesterday. I cannot understand if they were not tightened why the car is sitting probably 4 inches higher than before. He says it will settle, I guess I will wait and see.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

I don't mean to sound crass or rude Dan, but let him swear all he wants. In the mean time, have him loosen all eight nuts and aggressively bounce the front end up and down a few times while you watch the bushings move on the pivots. When it settles, watch him tighten the nuts. I am not concerned about anything but your correct installation. - Dave
                      Last edited by simplyconnected; April 26, 2012, 05:23 PM.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• lawyercalif
                        Experienced
                        • May 12 2011

Thanks, I will definately do that. I really appreciate everyone on this forum who have done so much for all of us.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎