No announcement yet.

Dupont Freon 12 questions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dupont Freon 12 questions

I have had 2 cans of Igloo brand Dupon Freon 12 for years, so long I have no idea when I had purchased them. I also have the correct hose for the cans also. This must be the same stuff that is often referred to as R12. The price sticker indicates I bought them on clearance for $.50 each and the original price was $1.97. I know nowdays a can of R134A retails for $14-$18 a can.

I asked a auto mechanical shop owner friend of mine what a can of the stuff is worth as maybe I should sell it. He said put it on ebay and ask $50/can. I have done some internet searching and find the prices asking are $20-$30 a can, but there's plenty of warnings about it being against the law to sell R12 and just as many people's suggestions about how to get around the supposed illegality of selling it.

I thought, well 2 cans of R12 on craigslist, what can that hurt, but saw somewhere the threat of 3 years in prison and a $10,000 fine. What do you folks think or know about this? Pic below is of the two cans and hose.
    Attached Files
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Jed, I doubt if anyone is concerned over two cans of freon. Yes, the government requires a license to sell and use/reclaim R-12. It's one of those laws that can hardly be enforced. Back when our cars were made, nobody needed a license to buy freon. Consider all the freon that has leaked into the atmosphere from many decades of car A/C units.

If I needed a can, I would buy on eBay (or CL). If I needed a whole system charged, I would go to a mechanic who is set up for A/C and will guarantee his work.

This freon business is really out of hand. In the 50's we used a refrigerant that was MUCH more efficient and it cost a fraction of freon's cost using no hydrocarbons. Water soluable ammonia refrigeration is used in most commercial applications (like malls, and supermarket freezers). Those old refrigerators refused to die. Now there is a push to go back to ammonia based systems (sure, after all the ozone damage is done).

Jed, I sincerely hope you get $50/can and I doubt anyone will complain about two pounds.

FOLKS, if you need R-12, give Jed a PM and an offer. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Thanks Dave for your input on my Freon. Guess I'll put a short ad in our For Sale items for $25/can and probably CL.com as well.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 30 2009

I've got an automatic BB gun (bought in the late 70's) that uses those type of freon cans for the propellant.

Advertisments said it could spray BB's at 3000 per minute. Freon cans kept getting cold and losing pressure though.
        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎