No announcement yet.

Electric radiator fan 1960 Thunderbird

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok who has converted to electric radiator fan, an can give me some information?

I would like to remove the original fan and replace it with a electric fan The car is just fine while driving but gets hot in stop and go traffic. I have had the radiator flow tested, replaced the thermostat, and flushed out the engin block.

I think I will have to change the generator to an alternator. The size of alternator would depend on the current the fans use. Is there an alternator that works best with electric radiator fans? Am I thinking straight or not?
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Electric radiator fan 1960

Larry, we just had this discussion regarding electric fans, alternators, etc.. I just put a new tech tip in the Technical Resource Library under the Alternator & Generator section. Look for "Selecting The Right Tbird Alternator" in the Final Dress section. If you are going to add an electric fan, and necessary unit to control it, you may as well install a 130amp alternator or more, and be done with it. That way, if you add anything else electronically that is going to demand more power from that alternator, you will not have to worry about replacing one that has a much smaller amperage output. Read all the information on alternators in the TRL. As for the electric fan, Dave Dare and others can tell you what to look for, as he and others have electric fans on their cars.

Read through this article also.. http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...ad.php?t=18914

And this one also. Ryan got an electric fan setup from Cool Craft, I think it was..
    http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...=electric+fans

Here is more..
    Last edited by YellowRose; June 11, 2015, 09:33 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Ford351c594
      Experienced
      • Mar 6 2015

yes, it was cool craft. really like. if you don't need the radiator they sell the fan and shroud custom made with a very simple relay temp unit controller.

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

I have been doing some more research for you. One person who has been down this road before, converting to an electric fan, is Greg ~ Dakota Boy. Here is what he put on his '58 Tbird with a 460 engine.

Late 90's Ford Contour V6 dual fan 24" x 16" x 3.5" w/shroud using a Flex-a-Lite 31163 electronic fan controller. This electric fan fits the OEM radiator perfectly.

New; from ebay for 100 bucks total; shipped to my front door.
        Fan controller mounted in the rectangular hole at the bottom left corner.

Ray's comment:
        Go down to my #1 post on this link to see what I found at our local Pick & Pull. As I recall, this is the fan that I sent to Dave who has this fan running on one of his Fords now.

Here are some pix of what Gregs fans look like, and in my thread, there are some pix of the fan I got off that Ford in the junk yard.
        Attached Files

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

OEM fans work well, they are balanced and they last a very long time. I tried to get Ray Clark to put an electric fan on his 'bird at one time. He went to his local bone yard, found a Crown Vic and had them remove the alternator and fan. For some reason, Ray decided not to install them on his car so I bought both pieces from him and I mounted both on our '59 Galaxie Y-block.

The fan I'm using is one big fan in a molded shroud (like most of them are). The dual fans are ok as well... Ford turned one fan on all the time with the A/C compressor, and the other as a backup.

When you get the alternator with the fan you KNOW they are matched as the alternator is certainly large enough for the fan, even if the car sits like a taxi cab.

When I fitted the fan to my application I noticed there was a lot more room in front of the radiator so I spaced my radiator back toward the engine 1-1/2" and mounted the fan in front. This worked out great because the wires only needed to be reversed. These fan motors do not use a chassis ground because they are mounted in plastic. Another advantage is, the fan is not on the hot side of the radiator. It pushes colder air into the radiator and the fan motor never gets hot. Win, win. Works great.

I am using a temperature sensor mounted about half way down my radiator, just in case the coolant level dips. When the radiator gets hot the fan turns on. Just that simple. Just because the engine is up to temp does not mean the fan needs to run because wind removes heat from the radiator as the thermostat regulates the engine temp.

In Michigan winters, my cooling fan may not turn on for months. This is a tremendous gas savings and one of the reasons why modern cars get away with using smaller engines. Another feature new cars use is the WOT switch (wide open throttle). If you floor the gas pedal, this switch shuts off your A/C, alternator, cooling fan, etc., to deliver maximum HP to the wheels until you lift your foot after you get off the tracks. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

I just put this information in the TRL under Fans, Fan Shrouds & Electric Fans... I figured it would be good to have it there, plus, whatever else is added to this thread.

Comment

• lake bird
              • Jan 8 2013

Contour yr for size

What year of Ford Contour is the correct size...i.e. 24" x 18"
              I see sizes vary.....

Comment

• RustyNCa
                Super-Experienced
                • May 31 2007

Originally posted by lake bird
                What year of Ford Contour is the correct size...i.e. 24" x 18"
                I see sizes vary.....
                I went with one for a 1998 Ford Contour 2.5l V6. Rockauto's part number for it was Dorman 620104.

Since photobucket has changed how they work, I don't know how to share photos well anymore...

You can see how I mounted it in one of the photos.

But lets try this method.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

Bryan, these are fabulous pictures and great information for every Squarebirder. Can I post them on our site?

BTW, I love the two-fan system because most of the time one small fan will do the trick. In extreme heat, both fans. AND, if one happens to fail there is a backup. - Dave
                  Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                  --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• lake bird
                    • Jan 8 2013

Are the mounts brazed on to the radiator?

Originally posted by RustyNCa
                    I went with one for a 1998 Ford Contour 2.5l V6. Rockauto's part number for it was Dorman 620104.

Since photobucket has changed how they work, I don't know how to share photos well anymore...

You can see how I mounted it in one of the photos.

But lets try this method.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dsu9MpFoSJHt9YNU2
                    I see the mounts look to be brazed to the radiator top and bottom, what material was used as the straps..
                    Last edited by simplyconnected; March 15, 2018, 05:26 PM.

Comment

• RustyNCa
                      Super-Experienced
                      • May 31 2007

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                      Bryan, these are fabulous pictures and great information for every Squarebirder. Can I post them on our site?

BTW, I love the two-fan system because most of the time one small fan will do the trick. In extreme heat, both fans. AND, if one happens to fail there is a backup. - Dave
                      Yes you can post them. FWIW, this setup is on a 390 with a 671 blower, so far I've had zero heating issues with her, but I have not run her during the summer yet.

Yeah, I didn't think to post the controller I also got for them. It's a thermo controller with a temp sensor mounted into the radiator that is supposed to be designed for dual fans.

Comment

• RustyNCa
                        Super-Experienced
                        • May 31 2007

Originally posted by lake bird
                        I see the mounts look to be brazed to the radiator top and bottom, what material was used as the straps..
                        They are actually MIG welded on there, if no one will make fun of my welding, I can post another photo that shows it better......

My radiator is original to the car. But we did re-core it with a larger high performance core, removed the surge tank, and am using a more typical overflow tank on the fender.

Cheers
                        RustyNCA

Comment

• lake bird
                          • Jan 8 2013

dual fan control unit & wiring

They are actually MIG welded on there, if no one will make fun of my welding, I can post another photo that shows it better......

My radiator is original to the car. But we did re-core it with a larger high performance core, removed the surge tank, and am using a more typical overflow tank on the fender.

Cheers
                          RustyNCA
                          necessity is the mother of invention, What control unit did you use, looking at a few in the 50.00 range...
                          Last edited by simplyconnected; March 16, 2018, 01:19 AM. Reason: Straighten out the quote

Comment

• RustyNCa
                            Super-Experienced
                            • May 31 2007

I used the Hayden one for dual fans, #3654. I think I paid just under $50 for it on Amazon.

Here's a link to my photos of ole "BigBird" as my kids call her...

For the fan mounts I used flat stock with a bolt welded to it through a hole I drilled. Smoothed the backside so it wouldn't damage the vanes.

Attached Files
                            Last edited by simplyconnected; March 16, 2018, 01:45 AM. Reason: Added Bryan's pictures

Comment

• lake bird
                              • Jan 8 2013

fan to water pump clearence looksto tight

I used the Hayden one for dual fans, #3654. I think I paid just under $50 for it on Amazon.

Here's a link to my photos of ole "BigBird" as my kids call her...

For the fan mounts I used flat stock with a bolt welded to it through a hole I drilled. Smoothed the backside so it wouldn't damage the vanes.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9OS7KNQ0OvZJsDDp1
                              Just got everything for the elect fan install...I have the original 3 pulley on the water pump . looks like not enough clearnce for the electric fan unit .. did you ust the orginal water pump or an after market pulley set up....did you have to remove the hood?

Lakebird/Rockwall

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎