• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whpaul
    Experienced
    • Oct 17 2009

Rear Suspension

Hello to the community,

my rear suspension connecting to the rear axle has to be repaired.

As you see there are some parts missing which i cannot get at the known dealers.I think these missing parts causes the damage as seen on the pictures.

These are the parts 5A313 and 5736 shown in the drawing.

does someone know where i can get theses parts, used or new, or has someone the parts in the garage?
    W.H.Paul
    with a friendly hello from good old Europe.
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Rear Suspension

Wolfgang, have you tried contacting the Bird Nest, or Tbird Hqs, or Mac's? If not, email them and see if they have the parts. I do not know if these same parts were used on the '59 or '60 Squarebird, but someone like John ~ jopizz or Carl Heller ~ partsetal here on the Forum, might know the answer to that question. Often when Ford changed styles, as they did between the Squarebird and the Bulletbird, the same parts were used, depending on the changes made to the car, that were used on the previous model..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• whpaul
      Experienced
      • Oct 17 2009

Rear Suspension

Ray, Thanks for reply. I checked with Thunderbird Headquarters they can't help.Today i will try Birdnest.

I always remember that very nice meeting and dinner with you in San Antonio jan 2013
      W.H.Paul

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Rear Suspension

Wolfgang, I just spoke with Don at the Bird Nest. He said that the 1961 rear suspension was a one year only set up, and they found it did not work well and changed it on the '62/'63's. He said that he does not have those parts you referenced and they are probably going to be hard to find. The parts breakout you provided is for the '62/'63 years and not the '61 year. We can only hope that in 1961, they were still using the 1959/1960 Squarebird set up. Hopefully, John or Carl can tell us about that.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Here is the 1961 Thunderbird rear suspension:

Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• whpaul
            Experienced
            • Oct 17 2009

Rear Suspension

Hallo Ray,

thank you for the detail drawing of the 61 rear suspension. That makes clear that for my car there are no parts missing. My drawing was for 62/63. Because the 61 solution was not the best they improved the system. What I have is correct for 61 standard.
            Because of the damage i have at this it would make sense to improve the system to 62/63 standard, if i get the parts.
            W.H.Paul

Comment

• whpaul
              Experienced
              • Oct 17 2009

Hello Ray, Hello out there,

because i could not get these parts, but wanted to improve the rear suspension i went to a mechanical shop. They build me the isolatershoes in stainless steel.The charged me 35$ each.That was very ok for me.

That will improve the system.
              W.H.Paul

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎