X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcomo
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 23 2005

430 Thermostat Question

Is the thermostat for a 430 the same as for a 352?

I see only one thermostat listed by vendors --BUT there's a separate thermostat gasket listed for the 430 only by Mac's. Would that mean that the themostats are different?

This would be the main thermostat behind the surge tank.

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by bcomo; September 5, 2007, 07:52 PM.
    Bart
    1960 Hard Top/430
    Thunderbird Registry Number 1231
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

The thermostat behind the surge tank is the same size for the 352 and the 430. The 430 also has two unique thermostats in the cylinder heads. These are hard to find, as they are not reusable once removed.

Those cylinder head thermostats look like this:

Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• bcomo
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 23 2005

[quote=Alexander;15326]The thermostat behind the surge tank is the same size for the 352 and the 430.

Alexander:

Thanks.

BUT-- Why do you think that the vendors show a special thermostat gasket "for 430 only" if the thermostats are the same. Could it be that the size of the surge tank coupling to the block is different?

P.S. I'll take a pair of those head thermostats
      Bart
      1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

Yes, the gasket for the expansion tank is different for the 430 and the 352, as per the blue Ford parts book.

430 - part C1VE-8255-A - 2 outer holes - 2.24" center hole - 3.24" center-to-center of outer holes

352/390/428 - part B8A-8255-A - 2 outer holes - 2.22" center holes[sic]
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

• tbird430
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 18 2007

I removed those 2 behind the waterpump going into the heads. I was told they were not really needed unless I lived in Alaska, Canada, or another really COLD area. I was also learning about hard to find the replacements would be and that Ford omitted them in the 427-428-429's because they were really not needed in them as well...
          sigpic
          The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• bcomo
            Super-Experienced
            • Sep 23 2005

Alexander:
            Thanks alot. That solves that mystery for me.

tbird430:
            I really don't know if mine are in there or not. Engine had been rebuilt, but the owner is deceased. If I ever pull the pump, I'll take them out if they are there.
            Last edited by bcomo; September 6, 2007, 09:21 PM. Reason: Edit sentence
            Bart
            1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

The fact that water didn't run through the manifold to keep it warm in cold conditions and supposedly quicker heat to the heater core was the reason for these stats. Honestly it was the stupidest idea in the world considering by 50's standards to change them was a major undertaking.A better heat riser design would have been easier. 430's with air are hard enough to work on when the pump goes bad who needs extra non- sense.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by tbird430convt

The fact that water didn't run through the manifold to keep it warm in cold conditions and supposedly quicker heat to the heater core was the reason for these stats. Honestly it was the stupidest idea in the world considering by 50's standards to change them was a major undertaking. A better heat riser design would have been easier. 430's with air are hard enough to work on when the pump goes bad who needs extra non- sense.
                Please allow me to correct this.

Coolant did run through the intake on the MEL Engine. The lower thermostats (and divertors) caused a current to be setup that forced coolant into the rear of the intake and out the front (most designs are cross-over). This allowed elimination of the heat riser and it's associated problems.

It was a good design but a service nightmare if the lower thermostat(s) failed. Later LINC 430 had the choke operated by coolant temp and the lower thermostats were discontinued in 1963 (divertors were retained).

Comment

• tbird430
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jun 18 2007

So in the end, we are ALL saying the 352cid & the 430cid (upper t-stat) are ALL the same, just the mounting gasket is different...?
                  sigpic
                  The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Correct...

Comment

• Djweaz
                      Experienced
                      • Apr 14 2016

In the middle of trying to find a leak that goes to the back of my pan. I see one thermostat housing under the tank. So If I’m reading this thread correctly there are thermostats in each side of the water pump as well? Looks like it’s going to be a PITA to get to to find the leak.
                      Rob
                      1959 Thunderbird J-Code
                      Tbird registry

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The thermostats are below the heads on the ends. I doubt if they were leaking that you would see it in the valley pan, most likely on the ground. I would suspect either the expansion tank thermostat opening or the hose from the intake to the water pump as the source of your leak.

John
                        Last edited by jopizz; March 12, 2018, 08:26 PM.
                        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• jopizz
                          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Here's a picture of where the thermostats are. As you can see they aren't anywhere near the valley pan.

John
                          Attached Files
                          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎