Clear All
  • thunderbird61
    Apprentice
    • Jan 2 2007

engine id

Hello!

I need some help identifying my engine.

Here are two pictures of numbers i found:

I have dechipered some of them (I think...)
    The numbers seems to be:

C1AE-6015-G
    -----------
    C1 = 1961
    A = Galaxie
    E = Engine
    -----------

OK20:4

¤44¤

DIF = Dearborn Iron Foundry

How can i find out if it is a 352, 390, 428 etc...
  • KULTULZ

C1AE 6015-G is a 61/62 390 hydraulic block.

A source database for the mustang hobbyist. Find detail information for your Mustang and Shelby Fan Clutch. FE 352 390 406 410 427 428CJ, Small block 289 302 351, 385 series 429 460 block casting decode

Comment

• Hawkrod
      Experienced
      • Oct 31 2005

Ok20:4 = the date code, 1960, October 20 shift 4
      the other numbers are mold numbers and versions and really do not give you any useful info. The important part is the casting number the Kultulz decoded, the date code and you already figured out the foundry. Hawkrod

Comment

• thunderbird61
        Apprentice
        • Jan 2 2007

Thank you very much for that info.

This spring, on my first car show, I had a guy walk up to me and he told me that he had owned this car many years ago, and that the engine was a 428, or bored to a 428. I want to confirm this, so is there a easy way for a "dummy" like me to find this out?

I have heard about a "pencil method", but I'm not sure how that works...

Comment

• KULTULZ

...whew...

HAWKROD will be better on this. The early 390 blocks supposedly could take the overbore (4.13" vs 4.05"). One would have to sonic the block before machining. A 428 also has an increased stoke (3.98" as opposed to 3.78").

The pencil (dowel) method can be used to measure stroke (measurement of piston travel in bore). You will have to tear down the engine (at the least remove one head) to take accurate measurements.

Comment

• thunderbird61
            Apprentice
            • Jan 2 2007

Okay, thanks!

Another one in the same ally. My starter broke down a while ago, and I ordered a starter for the 61 390 FE, and this is what I got:

The one to the right.

When I pulled my broken starter, it was the one to te left, not exactly identical...

Now, I was told by the shop that the one to the right indeed was the original for that year, so what is going on here....???

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by thunderbird61

Another one in the same ally. My starter broke down a while ago, and I ordered a starter for the 61 390 FE, and this is what I got:

The one to the right.

When I pulled my broken starter, it was the one to te left, not exactly identical...

Now, I was told by the shop that the one to the right indeed was the original for that year, so what is going on here....???
              The one to the right is (was) the correct starter motor. It operated by having the starter driver move in towards the RG rather than the later style (to left) that moves out.

The new style should work. How was it working before the ears broke off? Any noise or did the ears just fail because the motor was loose?

Comment

• thunderbird61
                Apprentice
                • Jan 2 2007

Originally posted by KULTULZ
                The one to the right is (was) the correct starter motor. It operated by having the starter driver move in towards the RG rather than the later style (to left) that moves out.

The new style should work. How was it working before the ears broke off? Any noise or did the ears just fail because the motor was loose?
                There was a sqeeeking noice for a couple of seconds, and then it just startet spinning. Dont know when the ears broke of, but the sound didn't last long before it stopped engaging(!).

Is that left one, a starter from a 65-68 FE? Would one of those fit?

Comment

• KULTULZ

Yes, the left should fit OK.

Let HAWKROD come through to give the final OK before you order one.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎