X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlackBird58
    Experienced
    • Mar 9 2005

Tick tock broken clock?

I've got a few questions about my clock. Since a picture tells a thousand words, I posted a picture of my clock at
    [a href="http://www.halakahiki.com/tbird/clockpartsB.jpg" target="_blank"]My Clock[/a]

Following advice from the forum, I pulled the clock from my '58, cleaned the contacts and sprayed a little WD-40 on the gears. When I connect power, the contacts (A) continuously fire. The gear underneath (B) spins, turning the paddle arm (C) below it. However, nothing else moves. If I manually spin the seconds spring (D) the attached arm (E) locks and unlocks the time gear (F) in a tick-tock manner. If I turn any of the time gears (F, G, H) with my finger while the seconds spring is spinning, the seconds hand of the clock moves as I expect it would. The pull knob on the face of the clock changes the time, but doesn't engage the gear to adjust the ticking speed.

So, my questions:

Is my clock missing parts?

Is the clock repairable?

If it's not, do the quartz mechanisms available through parts suppliers (ie TBirdHQ, others) have clearance for the light bulb in the clock case?

Thanks
  • tarps3
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 21 2003

RE: Tick tock broken clock?

I had a similar problem with a clock I had.

Let's see if I can describe this...
    The gear that is attached to the contact points arm rotates when the points fire. When this happens, a little triangular piece of plastic (which is also spring-loaded) engages the teeth of that gear and holds the contacts points apart. This begins the "ticking" action that eventually brings the points back together.
    The problem I had - and it may be your problem too - is that the very tiny spring that makes the triangular piece of plastic engage the teeth of the gear was broken. I got a spring from an old ball-point pen and jury-rigged it with that. It worked for a while, but then it came loose too. This is not visible in your picture and should be at the top of the image in the back of the workings.

I ended up getting another clock (they are cheap on ebay) and switched the innards of that one with the really good face of mine. All that was different was that tiny (about 1/16" long) spring hooked to the back of the triangular plastic.

Casey
    '60 hardtop
    Casey

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎