No announcement yet.

Rack & Pinion Conversion for T-Birds

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi my name is Rick and I need some input from T-Bird owners. My company has been making rack and pinion conversions for 54-56, 57-59, and 60-64 Full size Fords for a little over a year now and we have had heavy interest and sales for these cars. Now I need to know if the 58-60 and 61-64 T-Bird owners would be interested in our conversions for their cars. These conversions are straight forward bolt-ins without any butchering of the chassis. The conversions use the factory chassis holes to mount the rack mounting brackets. Some minor mods need to be done to your stock steering column, but it's easy and we supply the parts. The steering ratio is 3 1/2 turns lock to lock. The really good news is that you can use your stock power steering pump. The rack does not hang down below the cross member, nor does it mount in any way to the crossmember.You do not lose any turning radius with this conversion.
    The conversion can be used with stock T-Bird or Ford Granada spindles.
    I have received several phone calls asking if we make conversions for the T-Birds and we are currently building one on a 60 T-bird.
    Please let me know your thoughts, thanks.....Rick

rodnut@wic.net
    970-434-7123

RE: Rack & Pinion Conversion for T-Birds

>Hi my name is Rick and I need some input from T-Bird owners.
    >My company has been making rack and pinion conversions for
    >54-56, 57-59, and 60-64 Full size Fords for a little over a
    >year now and we have had heavy interest and sales for these
    >cars. Now I need to know if the 58-60 and 61-64 T-Bird
    >owners would be interested in our conversions for their
    >cars. These conversions are straight forward bolt-ins
    >without any butchering of the chassis. The conversions use
    >the factory chassis holes to mount the rack mounting
    >brackets. Some minor mods need to be done to your stock
    >steering column, but it's easy and we supply the parts. The
    >steering ratio is 3 1/2 turns lock to lock. The really good
    >news is that you can use your stock power steering pump. The
    >rack does not hang down below the cross member, nor does it
    >mount in any way to the crossmember.You do not lose any
    >turning radius with this conversion.
    >The conversion can be used with stock T-Bird or Ford Granada
    >spindles.
    >I have received several phone calls asking if we make
    >conversions for the T-Birds and we are currently building
    >one on a 60 T-bird.
    >Please let me know your thoughts, thanks.....Rick
    >www.wurthitdesigns.com
    >rodnut@wic.net
    >970-434-7123

Dunno if the webmaster allows these types of questions here, but I would be interested.

I own a 58 and have been considering buying a Mustang II or similiar complete front end for my Bird -- Would appreciate not having to cut and fab the frame just to get Rack and Pinion steering.

Comment

Well if you can be a little patient, I am working on the solution for the 58-60 T-Birds. No mods to the frame will be required, no leaking rams,and no more excessive end play at the steering wheel. One of the most important issues is bump steer.... this system has the correct geometry that eliminates this problem. I appreciate your feedback! I'm working on making products that have been available to the Chevy guys for a long time. Now it's time that the Ford owners have the same products made available to them.

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

For those who want more performane from their Squarebird and are not strict restorationists, this sounds like a great product. It sounds like it is reversible too, if anyone ever wants to put the stock parts back. Is that true?

Alexander
        1959 Hardtop
        1960 Golde Top
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

>For those who want more performane from their Squarebird
          >and are not strict restorationists, this sounds like a great
          >product. It sounds like it is reversible too, if anyone ever
          >wants to put the stock parts back. Is that true?
          >
          >Alexander
          >1959 Hardtop
          >1960 Golde Top

Kinda what I was thinking too Alexander.

Comment

HI
            In the event we drive these cars for 30 years would the maintenance parts for a rac set up be off the shelf stock ford, gm, dodge parts?
            thanks
            mark
            1960 thunderbird conv.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Yes you can put it back to stock because you are not altering anything on the chassis. As far as the stock steering column goes....as I said in my first post you will have to do some easy modifications to it. To be honest these mods would not be reversible. A lot of my customers install new a tilt column ( we have these w/ shifter or with out shifter ) and put their stock column in storage. The only items in this conversion you can not buy just walking into a parts store would be the tie rods and frame mount brackets. You can buy the rack, tie rod ends, power steering fittings, power steering pump, power steering hoses, at any parts store. The steering shaft and u-joints can be purchased from BORGESON or FLAMING RIVER and have the standard part numbers in their catalogs. The tie rods can be purchased from a number of suppliers. I supply all the info ( part numbers, suppliers,etc.) needed with the instructions that come with the conversion. I am hoping to get enough interest to make this conversion become one our products. At this stage we are prototyping one on a 60 T-Bird

Comment

• Alexander
                Webmaster
                • Oct 30 2002

I would be interested in seeing a picture of your Ford Delrio. Few people other than true Ford fans know that it was a competitor to the Chevy Nomad. More Delrios were built than Nomads, but few survived.

Alexander
                1959 Hardtop
                1960 Golde Top
                Alexander
                1959 Hard Top
                1960 Golde Top
                sigpic

Comment

I thought that's what I was looking at. Haven't seen one in years!

Comment

I'm currently doing a complete rehash on the 57 DelRio, just installed a new set of floor pans from EMS. The 57 is a rare factory "Select Air" car with radio and clock delete. They are rare but I have found another one in a barn about thirty miles from where I live. It's been there for over 25 years. Time to hitch up the trailer and go get it. The one car I really want is a 60 T-bird... this car was the first car my mother owned. It was black with red and white interior, 430 engine, fully loaded except for the sun roof.

Comment

I myself would be intrested . One thing people in the "Old Car" hobby worry about is driving their prize in todays traffic. 58-60 Tbirds are not exactly equiped for todays highways so anything we can do to make them safer........or easier to handle is GREAT !!!

Comment

Originally posted by 58tdactyl
                        I myself would be intrested. One thing people in the "Old Car" hobby worry about is driving their prize in todays traffic. 58-60 Tbirds are not exactly equiped for todays highways so anything we can do to make them safer........or easier to handle is GREAT !!!
                        You got that right! Since mine is a driver (once it get's back on the road, that is) it's the biggest reason I'm trying to modernize all the suspension and braking components.
                        Last edited by simplyconnected; June 8, 2015, 07:20 AM. Reason: Fixed the quote

Comment

1958 Power Rack and Pinion Steering

Have you come up with a system?

Mike

Comment

• YellowRose
                            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Unfortunately, forddelrio has not been on this Forum since Oct. 3 2004... He joined on Sept. 30th, 2004, made a few posts and has not been heard of since on here...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                            Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
                              Administrator
                              • May 26 2009

Everyone wants a 'bolt on' kit for their car. Remember, Rack Pinion, Disk Brakes, Solid State CVRs, radial tires and a host of improvements came much later than Squarebirds.

I retrofit our '59 Galaxie with Rack and Pinion. There are hundreds of rack gears to chose from, all waiting in auto parts stores. Here is a complete remanufactured rack gear from Rockauto.com for a common Chevy and it costs $70 with no core deposit:

Notice it has two rubber mounting biscuits, waiting to be clamped to brackets.

You have to make the brackets and bolt them to your frame.

It also has a steering shaft with a 'D' configuration, waiting for a coupling.
                              You have to cut your car's steering shaft and fit it to a coupling or two.

It has a portion in the middle to connect tie rods to your spindle arms.
                              You must buy and install the tie rods (readily available at speedway.com or other fine hot rod stores).

It has two 'AN' fittings, waiting for hydraulic lines.
                              You have to mount a pump on your engine and run one high pressure line and a low pressure return line.

This retrofit is not hard or expensive and neither is retrofitting disk brakes. But, there is an element of liability that no vendor will assume responsibility for.

If you can fabricate, all these goodies are at your disposal. 5 LEDs in a series, run on nothing (0.02 amps @ 12-v). That's enough to light the whole trunk area using the smallest wire or ribbon foil you can find. Hot-melt glue it in spots along the way.

I noticed that fewer modern cars include a light under the hood. Then it dawned on me... who opens their hood at night? My wife's Escape sync's to her cell phone and the radio sports a USB port, but no light under the hood. I make sure I have light in my classic cars. - Dave
                              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎