X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 430bird60
    Experienced
    • Dec 30 2008

Sunroof weatherstripping

I am about to install weather stripping on my sunroof but don't have clear instructions. My sunroof actually has three (1 felt and 2 rubber) strips on the rear of the sunroof and I know there are supposed to be two. The technical resourse library has installation information for a Porsche and it shows the felt installed around the rear edge of the sunroof and the rubber strip right behind it. Does anyone know if this is correct for the thunderbird? It also shows the rubber curving around the corners but not as far as the felt. The rubber I purchased (from a vendor) is not long enough to go around the curves so I am wondering if it should just go straight across the sunroof. If anyone can help I will greatly appreciate the info. Thanks
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Here's the parts diagram of the sunroof top. There are two rubber and one felt weatherstrip at the rear of the panel as you see by the diagram. The weatherstrips (part # 502C50 and 502C51) are felt.

John
    Attached Files
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• 430bird60
      Experienced
      • Dec 30 2008

Sunroof weatherstripping

John
      The rubber part #502C76 is the one I am not sure how to attach. The old one on my car is really deteriorated but looks like it went around the curves at the rear sides of the panel the same as the felt strip part #502C51 but no as far. The technical resource library shows that the rubber strip does go around the curve on a Porsche. The rubber strip #502C76 I purchased from a thunderbird vendor is not long enough to go around the curve but will reach straight across side to side. I'm not sure that will seal the panel. I'll have to contact the vendor to make sure I received the right rubber strip. Does anyone have photos of their sunroof that shows the weather stripping? Thanks

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The weatherstrip should be identical to what you took off. Where did you get the new weatherstrip? I wasn't aware that the sunroof weatherstrip was available.

John

Comment

• 430bird60
          Experienced
          • Dec 30 2008

I purchased the seals from Bird Nest. Their catalog shows only one rubber and one felt seal for the rear and the picture you posted shows three seals which my car has. Their part numbers don't correspond with those in the photo so I don't know whether the rubber seal I received is 502C12 or 502C76. I'll have to contact Bird Nest. Do you have a sunroof car or know anyone that does? Thanks

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I don't have a sunroof right now. I'm trying to go by memory. It's been a few years since I had one but I seem to remember three weatherstrips on the back. You might contact Carl Heller (partsetal). He may have one or at least know for a fact what weatherstripping it takes.

John

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Sunroof weatherstripping

I just spoke with Carl about Golde Top weather stripping. He owns two Golde Tops, but has not had to change out the weather stripping. As soon as he can, he will look at what is said here about the weather stripping problems you are having and will see what he can do to help. On Monday, I will call the Bird Nest and talk with Don regarding the weather stripping they offer for sale. They are the only one I know of who sells it. However, that does not mean that others do not sell it. So if you do not have the major Tbird parts houses free catalogs, get on the phone, or email, and ask them for their free catalogs so you can see who else might have it. If others do, and they have the correct stripping, WE need to know that... Keep in mind though, that between Tbird Hqs and the Bird Nest, they manufacture some 80% of the new Tbird parts available to us today. The other parts houses gets their parts from those two companies.....

I have just looked through the websites of ALL the major Tbird parts houses listed in the Advertisements Forum for you. The Bird Nest is the ONLY vendor I found that lists these Golde Top weather stripping parts on their website... Just thought I would let you know....
              Last edited by YellowRose; August 5, 2017, 03:16 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                Super-Experienced
                • Dec 23 2008

Can anyone post a sketch of a cross section for the correct weather strip with dimensions??

Comment

• partsetal
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jun 4 2005

I've checked both my sunroof cars and one is missing the felt like strip that attaches to the front of the opening, there is a series of closely spaced holes around the opening, presumably to fasten the seal. I was able to get the photo from the other car of this seal and it is a white felt-like material with an embedded rubber strip at the top, some of which has slipped down in places. Unable to tell if it is retained by clips or just glued in. There is a rubber seal at the back of the roof panel that seals the back of the opening when the panel lifts into the closed position. I was able to poke it with a small probe and confirmed it was rubber, but there is not enough showing to take a photo. Not sure if these are original or replaced before I acquired the car. These seals have been pretty much a mystery to me and I'm eager to find out what I can and help where I can to research this.
                  Carl
                  Attached Files

Comment

• 430bird60
                    Experienced
                    • Dec 30 2008

Thanks for the input. As I stated i did purchase my weather stripping from the Bird Nest. MY concern is with the rubber that appears to mount closely behind the felt which is attached by a screw on both sides of the sunroof panel. From looking at that rubber on mine which is so badly deteriorated and the photo of a sunroof on a Porsch in the technical resource library it looks like the rubber strip goes around the bend at the corners and terminates at the sides of the panel and about an inch or so from the screw ends of the felt. If so, the rubber I got is short. If I put the rubber straight across the back side to side it will fit but then I am worried about leaks. I plan on calling Bird Nest on Monday. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

• partsetal
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jun 4 2005

Apparently the assembly was designed to deal with leaks. There are two drain tubes at the front which drain into the cowl plenum and and two at the rear which drain in the wheel well area. I found a wiper arm screw piercing one of the front tubes, and some debris in the other. Never checked the rears tho.
                      Carl

Comment

• Tbird6
                        • Jul 3 2017

That's an important point!

Moon/Sun Roofs do not seal. They divert the water coming around the roof into the supporting pan.
                        Then there are 4 drains to put the water on the ground.

So check your drains and realize if you get in enough rain you will get some leaks. It's just the design of the unit.

Even my 2005 Jaguar Moonroof operates exactly the same way. Kind of confusing when you first look at it.

Comment

• 430bird60
                          Experienced
                          • Dec 30 2008

I was able to find the rear rubber seal which is the same as the one described as item A in the Bird Nest catalog but can be purchased by the foot from Metro Moulded Parts, Inc. (www.metrommp.com). The part number is LP-108-C. As I mentioned before, the old rubber on my car was longer than the one I purchased from the Bird Nest but I really don't know if it makes any difference.

Ken

Comment

• YellowRose
                            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Sunroof weatherstripping

The Sun Roof weatherstripping seals are still available from the Bird Nest. You will find them on Catalog Page 11, down at the bottom left... Thanks to Carl ~ partsetal to alerting me to this.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎