Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1fordnut
    • Aug 7 2012

Help Id A Part

I got a 64 T Bird Landau an having problems starting tracked down the problem to a part on the passenger side on the firewall. Its a relay of some sort right beside the vent on the firewall with black an red wires going to it. When you would hit the key this relay would click an it is keeping the car from turning over take it off an the car does nothing when you turn the key. I went to Advance an they think it is a horn relay I say it is like a neutral safety switch or power relay or starter relay. The part is a Ford part # C1AF 14677 A then below it it says 9CD. Can anybody ID this part?
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I think that doubles as your neutral safety and power window relay if your car has power windows.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• KULTULZ

It is a power accessory relay. It should have nothing to do with no start.

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Yes, Kultulz is correct. It is a power window relay only. It energizes when you turn the key. That's the click you hear. Your starting problem is something else, perhaps your neutral switch.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• 1fordnut
          • Aug 7 2012

yea this car has power windows & when we took the relay off an unhooked it it would not do anything when you would turn the key. I was wondering how many wires are there suppose to be connected to this there is only 2 wires on it currently a red wire an a black wire an the connection on the left side does not have anything on it could I be missing a wire on there an that could be while it is not starting?

Comment

• KULTULZ

If you have a no-start, you first check BAT CABLE condition and strength of BAT. You then use a test light to verify VOLT is present at the I terminal when the IGN SW is turned to START (signal goes to S terminal on starter relay to engage starter and IGN) when engine cranks.

Comment

• 1fordnut
              • Aug 7 2012

yea the battery is new an its fine fully charged an battery cables are fine an new solenoid an voltage regulator an starter an alt is fine. An going to pick up the relay in the morning an install it an see if it helps. Everything looks fine on it except this relay is bad will keep you posted on it.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Originally posted by 1fordnut
                yea the battery is new an its fine fully charged an battery cables are fine an new solenoid an voltage regulator an starter an alt is fine. An going to pick up the relay in the morning an install it an see if it helps. Everything looks fine on it except this relay is bad will keep you posted on it.
                If what you say are true, all those parts are good, the only other possibility is your neutral switch. Try moving the gear shift up and down while you turn the key to Start.
                Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎