X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 61Bulletbird
    • May 3 2010

61 Paint Question

G'day fellow Bulletbirders,

Having the body painted on my 61 , it's almost complete.
    Just want to know if the panel behind the doortrims is painted body colour or left in primer.( i feel it should be painted body colour)

Regards Warren
  • Ian M Greer
    Experienced
    • Jul 29 2010

Paint behind door trim

Originally posted by 61Bulletbird
    G'day fellow Bulletbirders,

Having the body painted on my 61 , it's almost complete.
    Just want to know if the panel behind the doortrims is painted body colour or left in primer.( i feel it should be painted body colour)

Regards Warren
    Warren in regards to paint behind the door panels.I've been involved in three teardowns on 1963's and all doors were painted the body colour behind the door panels . I can not see a 1961 t-bird would be any different .I would think this was a standard proceedure as the body proceeded through the paint side of production when being built .

Comment

• 61Bulletbird
      • May 3 2010

Thanks Ian,

For some reason the painter thought it should be left in primer.I will let them know.Do you think it would be overkill to do the underside of the roof in body colour also?

Regards Warren

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

61 Paint Question

Hi Warren,

As Ian said, the doors should be painted the same color as the exterior paint job, behind those door panels. When my interior was redone on my Squarebird, my Interior guy pulled out all the old roof insulation behind the headliner. He cleaned that area really well and glued in new insulation squares. The inside of the roof was left as it came from the factory. No matching of paint to the outside of the car. I don't see a reason to paint the inside of the roof to match the exterior color. No one is ever going to see it anyway. Unless, in the future, you have to take out the headliner, pull out the insulation material and redo it. Save yourself some time, effort and money, IMHO.
        Last edited by YellowRose; October 7, 2010, 10:51 PM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎