Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bbktexas
    • Feb 10 2008

430 Starter Replacement

First I would like to thank Derbird for suggesting RobbMC for a modern starter with a short nose. I purchased a starter from them specifically for the Lincoln/Tbird 430 that has a 153 tooth ring gear.
    Since removing the failed starter involved removing the A/C box, disconnecting the shift and throttle linkage, removing the 'H pipe, and jacking up the motor; I decided to try a different approach. This involved removing the bolts, sliding the starter forward a few inched, and using a sawsall and a well oiled metal blade to cut off the starter shaft. (See picture) This worked like a charm and did not have to remove any other parts. Plus, cutting the old starter was very satisfying.

I trimmed a little flash off the block casting below the starter to insure room for the new starter solenoid with a die grinder. Then I installed the new starter from RobbMC per the instructions. I positioned the solenoid straight down for the maximum clearance to the header pipe.

Last edited by YellowRose; October 31, 2018, 05:24 PM. Reason: Fixed Pix...
    Brad
    1960 Hdtp; 430 Option
    1987 Turbo Coupe
  • Derbird
    • Jul 10 2016

Good to hear it works. Mine is still sitting in a box on a table next to the car.

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎