X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steffan
    Apprentice
    • Jan 29 2007

Water pump issues

Just got my rebuilt engine and trans in the 60 and everything hooked up and looking good, detailed everything to correct colors and rebuilt or replaced everything under the hood.
    My problem is that after filling the rad and top tank with new antifreeze (thats a 50/50 mix of green antifreeze with distilled water as was recommended by one of the members) I seem to have a small leak. I noticed antifreeze on the floor and after investigating there is a small drip from the waterpump. It appears to be coming from near the vent hole? in the casting which is under the pully shaft and then running down and dripping off the casting. I have not even started the engine yet so it is strickly leaking off of the pressure of the fluid.
    Has anyone any suggestions to what may be causing this? Is this a normal thing or am I going to have to tear everything apart and put a new pump on?
    Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated! Never run into a problem like this before.

Steffan, I have always referred to that small hole as the weep hole. When that hole weeps or leaks, it means that the main bearing seal in the pump is shot and the pump needs to be removed and replaced. Just recently over the winter I had a small antifreeze leak in my daily driver chevy astro and could not figure out where the leak was coming from. As it got steadily worse thru out the winter, I eventually 3 weeks ago got under the van with a flashlight and saw the antifreeze dripping out of the weep hole. I replace the pump the very next day. I can assure you that the pump on a squarebird is much more accessible and easier to replace then those darn astrovans. Wish the news was better for you, but see that Birdsnest has new pumps for $130.00 and Rockauto.com has rebuilt ones for $41.00.
    Last edited by Guest; March 13, 2010, 10:57 PM. Reason: delete word

Comment

• LuckyJay
      • Jan 4 2007

Sorry

That means you need a new pump. The Pump shaft seal is leaking. The pump has a small channel interally which allows flow for the shaft. When it starts leaking out that hole, the seal has failed.

Comment

• Steffan
        Apprentice
        • Jan 29 2007

Thanks for the bad news. The worst part of this is draining out the antifreeze and taking everything back apart. Being in Ontario Canada it will probably take a week to get a new pump. Thanks again for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffan
          Being in Ontario Canada it will probably take a week to get a new pump.
          Steffan, I have ordered thru Rockauto.com quite a few times and I get the parts delivered UPS in 3 days. If you ordered this weekend, you'd have the pump by Wednesday. Otherwise I am sure you must have Napa Parts stores or some other auto parts stores in Canada. When I go to a Napa, they usually have my parts in stock or they can get it same day or next.

Comment

• DKheld
            Super-Experienced
            • Aug 27 2008

Mine has done that for years after it sits for a few weeks unused. If I run it about 5-10 min it quits and as long as I use the car regularly it does not leak again until it sits. That is a chance you'll have to decide if you want to take. I keep a spare w/p in the trunk and a gallon of antifreeze. Changing one on the road would not be fun.

I noticed you said you filled the rad and the top tank with antifreeze mix. The overflow pipe was usually routed down by the water pump - are you sure it's not coming out of the overflow? Reason I ask is the top tank is the expansion tank and should only be filled about 1/4 of the way. If you fill it all the way pressure will push antifreeze out until it has made the expansion room it needs. Some folks keep adding fluid thinking they have a leak or put a second auxiliary tank on the inner fender which is not necessary.

Maybe you can cross these part numbers with a parts store in Canada and this should give you a reference price.

NAPA p/n for the 352 is 58201 $47.49 Core $4.69
            430 is 58430 $51.99 Core $11.39

O'Riley p/n for the 352 is 58-201 $30.99 Core $4.00
            430 is 58-430 $45.99 Core $10.00

Hope it's just overfilled.....
            Eric
            registry 5347

Comment

• Howard Prout
              Experienced
              • Feb 11 2009

Thanks for the bad news. The worst part of this is draining out the antifreeze and taking everything back apart. Being in Ontario Canada it will probably take a week to get a new pump. Thanks again for the info.
              Stefan, you should be able to get a rebuilt water pump freom almost any auto parts store, probably including Canadian Tire. I ofter use CarQuest as they can get you almost anything and at reasonable prices. I have a 430 so parts are not as readily available. The last time I needed a water pump I had my old one rebuilt by an outfit in Stoney Creek.
              Last edited by Howard Prout; March 16, 2010, 03:40 PM. Reason: addn'l info
              sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• Steffan
                Apprentice
                • Jan 29 2007

Well I tore the front off the engine and ordered a new water pump from Napa. I usually deal with the Napa store in Port Huron Michigan as they are only about a 1 Hour drive and about half the price I pay in Canada. I figured while I am at it that maybe I should replace the fuel pump as well, my luck it would be the next to go! Napa could not get the fuel pump but Advance had one and once again cheaper than what I would pay at home. I make a day out of going to get my parts and my wife gets to shop.......As for the possibility of the antifreeze coming out of the overflow drain I routed the overflow tube down behind the water pump and all the way down below the oil pan and have it in between the trans cooler lines. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

• Dutchbird
                  Experienced

• Dec 20 2005

I usually deal with the Napa store in Port Huron Michigan as they are about half the price I pay in Canada. I make a day out of going to get my parts and my wife gets to shop......
                  Hi Steffan,

Are you sure you're actually cheaper this way???

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Water pump issues

Hey Marco! It all depends on how serious his wife's shopping was!! If his wife is a really serious shopper, like mine was, he might be out a starter, an alternator in a generator case, a engine chrome and external chrome package, a new gas tank, a new interior, a new paint job, and.. and... and... lmbo..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Steffan
                      Apprentice
                      • Jan 29 2007

Well now that you mention it I probably could of rebuilt this car twice, bought all new parts and all the fancy extras. Next time I better re-think where I buy me parts from. Oh OH my wife is making up a new list of what she needs this weekend when we go to pick up the new water pump.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎