No announcement yet.

electric windows

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

electric windows

Ive managed to only get the driver's side front electric window on my '59 to go up and down correctly. ALL 3 others will go down easily, but will not raise back up when the switch is flipped. I can hear the motors trying each time, but the window wont budge. Should the window mechanisms be lubricated, or is there some other problem? It seems like if they would go down, they would go up, but nope. Any help is appreciated.
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: electric windows

These are four-brush motors. They may move in one direction, but no in the other when they fail. The first thing you should do is to remove the door and rear panels to get at the motors. The motors attach to the regulator by two bolts that run straight through them and one additional bracket on the rear of the motor. Disconnect the motors from the regulators (there is a rubber coupling between the motor and regulator that just slides out) but do not disconnect the wiring. Run the switches to see if the motor runs both ways. Sometimes helping the shaft of the motor along can get it working again. If there is no movement in one direction, then disconnect the wiring. Use an electrical test light to test the wires. Move the switch in both directions. If the test light does not go on in one direction, the switch is most probably bad. These switches can be taken apart and cleaned. Sometimes they are so burned at the points, that they need to be replaced. Reproductions are available. If the test light shows the switch is working in both directions, then the motor needs to be sent out to be rebuilt.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

RE: electric windows

Alright, I had some success with my motors. Three out of four ain't bad. All I did was take them out, run them until they were warmed up, and then they would go both directions. Re-installed them and 3 of my windows are working very well. I have a burnt out motor on the 4th, but I have replacements. So, thanx again..

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎