X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dooscoop32
    • Feb 28 2005

NEW TO THIS FORUM-BUT A LONG-TIME ADMIRER OF '58-'63 T-

Hi Guys and Gals,

I am a newbie on this forum but I want to introduce myself to you. My name is Larry Brooks. I am 52 years of age. I grew up in the 50s and 60s (the true golden age of automobiles in my opinion). I have owned about 80 vehicles in my lifetime but have never owned a vintage Thunderbird. I have considered it many times but one thing or another has prevented it. I have been a Corvette fan since I was a kid. I have owned 13 of them, the current one being an Arctic White/Torch Red leather 2004 6-speed convertible. I also own a Rangoon Red/Red 1965 Mustang coupe formerly owned by Ned Jarrett. And we own a steel 1932 Ford Tudor Sedan Street Rod in Corvette Yellow with purple flames. So you can see I like a variety of cars. But it has always bugged me that I never had a Thunderbird. I am currently looking at a '59 Thunderbird coupe which is Platinum with red leather. It has had a body-on-frame restoration consisting of paint, chrome, interior, emblems, tires, etc. The trans was rebuilt 8000 miles ago. The owner bought a remanufactured engine from Ford instead of rebuilding the original 352. However, he says 352s were not available so he replaced it with a 390. This car has full documentation since day one including window sticker, invoice, receipts, etc.. The car has 133,000 total miles, 8000 since restoration.
    Now to my questions;

The owner statesthat Platinum with Red leather is a very rare color combo. I tend to believe that but would like to hear your opinion on that.
    Based on the above info I have listed about this car, what would you guys and gals estimate the value of it to be?

I haven't seen the car in person yet, only in pictures. I will decide whether to make the trip to see it or not based on your opinions.
    I thank you all in advance for any help and support you may give me.

Larry Brooks

• Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: NEW TO THIS FORUM-BUT A LONG-TIME ADMIRER OF '58-'6

Welcome to the site. Do not be shy asking questions.

First off, 1958-66 Thunderbirds are unibody cars. The only way possible to restore them is body-on-frame, since the frame is intergral with the body. It cannot be separated.

Leather interiors are uncommon, but not rare. I have seen 1959 Thunderbirds that are Platinum with red leather interior. It is uncommon but not rare. White, Black and Red were the most common exterior colors for Thunderbirds. The other colors tend to be less common.

The 390 is really the same block externally as the 352. If you put on the original manifolds and pulleys on it, few will be able to tell it is not original.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

http://www.collectorcartraderonline.com/ reports these prices for 1959 Thunderbirds:

Low: $2,000.00
      High: $15,900.00
      Average (mean): $8,888.00
      Median: $6,999.00

A real mint example of a 1959 Hardtop may bring up to $25,000, but few cars are this #1 condition.

Alexander
      1959 Hardtop
      1960 Golde Top
      Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

• SandyBoy
        Super-Experienced
        • Oct 31 2002

Welcome to the site, Larry. Funny thing. Since you are deep into Corvettes, you must own an issue of the Corvette Black Book, Yes? Look at the first page. I am a Contributing Editior. Have been for several years. Have never owned a Corvette! Sounds like you & T-Birds.
        Silver Metallic with a red leather is a terrific color combo. I own an ascMcLaren Mustang 'Vert in that color combo.

Comment

• dooscoop32
          • Feb 28 2005

Hi Sandy,

No, I don't own a copy of "The Corvette Black Book". I own about 15 or 20 of them! But, yes, I understand what you are saying.
          By the way, the Platinum/Red leather '59 was sold for $10,000 and I never got to look at it before.
          Hey, Sandy, you don't happen to own a Cadillac, too, do you?;-)

Comment

• SandyBoy
            Super-Experienced
            • Oct 31 2002

Yes, a 1993 Sixty Special. Deep Plum Pearl, White leather, 9,820 miles. How'd 'ya know? Was it on T.V. again ??

Comment

• dooscoop32
              • Feb 28 2005

No, I didn't see it on TV. I have a memory like an elephant and pieced all of the info you sent together to deduce that.
              Have you seen any of my cars on TV lately?

Comment

• SandyBoy
                Super-Experienced
                • Oct 31 2002

Munster Car, that was it :P

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎