X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NYsquarebird58
    Experienced
    • Feb 6 2012

NYsquarebird58’ (NEW) Tbird

I was going to wait until the snow melted away and I could take better pictures, but I just couldn’t wait and had to share the great news.

Here’s my new Raven black with red/white interior 1960 Ford Thunderbird!

Big thanks to Mr. Ray Clark for sharing this really neat tool for searching all craigslist listings. If it wasn’t for this tool, I would have not located this car. Thank you Ray!

http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6280
    VTCI# 11860
    58HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37043 (Sold)

60HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37252 "Lucille" (Sold)
  • DKheld
    Super-Experienced
    • Aug 27 2008

That's really great news ! Even looks good in the snow.

I'm partial to the '60 grille for some reason....heh...

Hope you get a chance to share the story and more pics soon.

Eric

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
      Experienced
      • Feb 6 2012

Originally posted by DKheld
      That's really great news ! Even looks good in the snow.

I'm partial to the '60 grille for some reason....heh...

Hope you get a chance to share the story and more pics soon.

Eric
      I will definitely be sharing more very soon! It all happened so fast (I’m still in disbelief). I drove her home last night. Can’t wait until the weekend when I can pull her out and take some more pictures.
      VTCI# 11860

Comment

• lawyercalif
        Experienced
        • May 12 2011

I am happy for you. It looks like a nice car. Also noticed you had a number of bids on your old one on EBay. So things are looking a lot better for you this week. Congratulations!

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

NYsquarebird58’ (NEW) Tbird

Congratulations, Marcelo! Glad to help! Apparently, it must have been fairly close to you! On top of that, unlike the '58, you were able to drive this one home and that must have been a thrill. Raven Black with a red/white interior is a really nice combination. The neat thing about that exterior color is that if you decide to put the engine chrome package and external chrome package on her she will really pop! Take a look at anyone with a Raven Black Tbird with the external chrome package on her and you will see what I mean. Please tell us more about her when you can and more pix when you can get the snow off of her! Way to go!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Anders
            Super-Experienced
            • Jan 19 2008

Poor ´58 to be left in the cold...
            sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
            http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

AWESOME!
              Richard D. Hord

Comment

• tbird430
                Super-Experienced
                • Jun 18 2007

Congrat's on finding that 2nd Bird.

(I'd keep them both).

-Jon in TX.
                sigpic
                The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• frank58
                  Super-Experienced
                  • May 28 2006

Originally posted by tbird430
                  (I'd keep them both).
                  -Jon in TX.

me too

Grats Marcelo............. you've been bitten by the "Bird Bug"

Comment

• Mickfly70
                    Apprentice
                    • Oct 20 2010

Hey. You didn't even wait for the "checklist"

well done.
                    Mick Egan Vancouver Island Canada
                    60 Tbird

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jun 30 2009

Better keep the moisture off that new 'Bird there.

Rust scares the **** outa me.
                      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

Good work thats great. put that gas tank under the bed just in case.

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
                          Experienced
                          • Feb 6 2012

So here’s the story…

Most of you have read about the bad rust I found on my 58’ and that I decided to sell it because it was too big a project for me to take on.

After coming to that difficult decision last Saturday, I decided to put my search for another T-Bird in high gear. I searched my local craigslist, the classified and ebay. I found another 58’ about 20 miles from my house (Brookline, NY) but it looked rough and the seller was kind of rude so I didn’t even bother looking at it in person.

Late Saturday night I was perusing this forum and ran across Ray’s thread regarding this tool that would search all of craigslist regardless of location. I gave it a try and found this Raven black 60’, but the location given in the ad was pretty broad, so it could either be close or hours away. I email the seller late Saturday night and early Sunday morning he emailed me back and it turned out he was located in my same town! In fact he was located in the same complex that my sister lives in! I even recall seeing what appeared to be an old car; under a car cover, parked in one of the spots near the main building from time to time. I’d always wondered what was under that car cover, and who would have thought that one day, what was under that car cover, would be mine…

I met with the owner an hour after calling him and proceeded to go over the car. I got on my back and closely inspected the undercarriage. It was pretty clean under there. The paint was in OK shape and the interior was original, intact, with nice patina.

I put the key in the ignition and she fired right up without hesitation (at this point I was trying real hard to maintain my poker face). The ad mentioned that the car had some fueling issues and would stall under load, so we took it for a gentle ride around the neighborhood. I was sold, but the deal wasn’t done yet. I made him a low offer to start off as a jump-off point for negotiations. My offer was almost two thirds of the asking price. He paused, thought about it and accepted my offer. I was elated!!!

In the sale he included the original wheels, hubcaps, carburetor, jack, owner’s manual and shop manual. He was the second owner of this 55,000 mile beauty and he also has the contact info for the original owner! I drew up a bill of sale, gave him some cash and the rest in form of check. We agreed that once the check cleared, that I could come pick her up. The check cleared yesterday, so I left work early, met up with the seller, did some paperwork, ran up to the DMV and got her registered!

By the time I got back, it was nighttime. Knowing that the car had fuelling issues, I took it slow all through town, but when I got out on to my road for the last leg of the trip, she started to bog. She stalled on me once, I put her in park started her back up and we proceeded another mile, then she stalled on me a second time and I managed to coast to a side street. This time she would only crank, so I waited a minute or two and she fired right up. The third time she stalled, I was stuck in the middle of the road and could not pull over. A car pulled in behind me and put their hazards on. I could see the silhouette of a woman walk towards my car. I rolled down the winder and without turning my head, (and in a sheepishly embarrassed voice) I uttered “my car seems to have stalled out…” At that point I look up and see that the woman standing before me was my girlfriend, who just happened to pull in behind me on her way home from work! Well, I started her back up and we made it safely home. I was lucky too because it started raining not too long after, and the windshield wiper motor was sitting in the glove box!

I’m still blown away at how everything fell into place. Who would have thought the exact car I was looking for was just four miles from my doorstep? A few weeks back, in my other thread, Ray had asked me what my plans were for my 58’, I posted a picture of another member’s Raven black with red/white interior. This is what I wanted my 58’ to be some day and low and behold, I found just what I was looking for.
                          VTCI# 11860

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
                            Experienced
                            • Feb 6 2012

Ha! And to add one more thing: my squarebirds decal came in the mail today!
                            VTCI# 11860

Comment

• dgs
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Feb 13 2003

Wow, that was a quick jump back into the Squarebird pool, congrats.

I'm partial to the '60 grille with the bars myself, always looked a bit more finished. Nice color combo too.
                              DGS (aka salguod)
                              1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
                              www.salguod.net

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎