X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wyldie
    Apprentice
    • Dec 22 2016

Originally posted by simplyconnected

I ran into the fordification forum where one of their members fabricates and sells Sanden air conditioning compressor brackets for FE engines. CLICK HERE This bracket looks sturdy and well-made. Certainly, one can be fabricated for a MEL 430 engine. - Dave
    I made a post on here about this bracket that Tyler made on the fordification forum a couple of months ago, didn't get much feedback, I've ordered one should see it this week. I really like the idea of a low mount compressor, plus I can retro fit an alternator with it.

Will let you all know how I go

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

AC Bracket for 430?

Hi Mike, thanks for posting that! I do not know how I missed seeing that, but I did. That might be a good way to go for all concerned..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

430 MEL Engine > AC Bracket for 430?

I thought I would give you an update on the search for 352 & 430 mounting brackets and water pump pulleys. I have been successful in finding only 2 EDJ-2882-B 430 York mounting brackets so far, one which I am still trying to get information on. Actually, one of them that I thought was that mounting bracket turns out to be a XE-48002 mounting bracket off a '58 430 Lincoln I think the guy said. However, comparing it to pix that Ken Harkema and Carl Heller sent me, and pix the seller sent, it looks identical to the Ford 430 version. I have only been able to find one set of 430 AC water pump pulleys so far. I have been able to put Rob into position to start installing his CAA "Perfect Fit" system shortly. Thanks to Carl Heller, he was able to supply Rob with the 2 groove and the 1 groove 430 AC pulleys needed. The last two that Carl had. Yesterday, Rob was able to buy the York mounting bracket from one of my sources.

As far as I know, we have 3 members in the process of installing CAA AC kits on Squarebirds. Kyle ~ Derbird is working on his '59 430, and you have probably seen the pix that he has posted on how he is making his mounting bracket and compressor cradle. He has not posted newer pix, but he has done some more welding, not just spot welds, to make it stronger. So he, with his metal working and welding abilities is doing what Dave suggested in making his own mounting bracket and in his case, going to a cradle arrangement, which looks nice. I think he still needs the pulleys, as does Henry - OX1. I am still looking for them and have a lead on the Lincoln AC pulleys. I know where they are still on a '58 (I think) Lincoln in a parts yard.

Here is what we seem to be facing regarding finding more EDJ-2882-B or Lincoln York mounting brackets, and Ford or Lincoln water pump pulleys. This information comes about after contacting and talking with some 20 people or companies, some very well known, others not so well known. People or company's that deal in used Ford or Lincoln parts. First of all we are looking for parts that were not all that readily available in the first place because of low production numbers of AC equipped Squarebirds and Lincolns. Since 1958-1960, these cars have been slowly disappearing from the scene. Especially in recent years as more old junkers have been crushed out of existence. Talking with people like Carl Heller, who has been supplying Squarebirds parts for years, his supply of mounting brackets and pulleys is now kaput.. Speaking with Bob Jursinski in Ohio, he of the some 300 cars on his lot, he tells me the same thing. He could not find a thing amongst his parts that we need. He said that for years CAA would tell their customers to contact him to get the mounting bracket and pulleys needed. That was all well and good until he ran out of those parts, which he has. John Draxler and others tell me the same thing..

So it appears, unless someone we don't know of is sitting on a gold mine of these parts, we may be seeing the day when there will not be anymore Squarebird owners converting their non-AC birds to a CAA or Vintage Air aftermarket AC system due to lack of brackets and pulleys. Oh you could make your own bracket, or buy one of several cradle arrangements, but you still need an adapter, or the OEM 352 or 430 mounting bracket. But then, why bother if you can no longer find the right pulleys? I might be able to find one or two still but it has been very difficult to do so, so far. The demand, which has never been high, seems to have about outstripped the supply, which was never the greatest in the first place. But I will keep looking for those two members still needing parts.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• OX1
          Super-Experienced
          • Feb 10 2016

Originally posted by YellowRose
          I think he still needs the pulleys, as does Henry - OX1. I am still looking for them and have a lead on the Lincoln AC pulleys. I know where they are still on a '58 (I think) Lincoln in a parts yard.

Here is what we seem to be facing regarding finding more EDJ-2882-B
          Really appreciate all the digging you are doing.

Just for clarification, I don't need any pulleys. I would like an
          EDJ-2882-B if you locate one, but I can fab my own compressor bracket if I have too.
          59-430-HT

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

AC Bracket for 430?

Thanks, Henry for the update. Here is what I have found out. Neither of what I found were stamped EDJ-2882-B. One was that XE-48002 that looks just like the EDJ-2882-B and we will find out shortly if it is. Because it has been shipped to Rob, after comparing the pix that Ken Harkema, and Carol ~ partsetal sent us of what the EDJ bracket looks like. The only two in captivity that I know of belongs to Ken and to John at Tbird Ranch. Neither, of course, want to sell them because they intend to do the AC conversion on their 430's. I have contacted over 2 dozen of the best and least known used parts houses in the country, and asking each as I do, if they know someone who might have one, and getting a few more leads. But in turn, I am being told that the pulleys can no longer be found or that mounting bracket, but I am still looking because I have 2-3 people who are still looking through their parts.

Today, Dwight at CAA told me that those of you who own the 352 w/o AC and want to go the CAA conversion route still can and here is what he said. The non-AC 352 has a single groove water pump pulley on it. Some of the people who have gone this route with the 352 Squarebirds have bought the Small Block Chevy Short Water Pump 2 groove 3876846 pulley. That pulley is 6.3" in diameter, has the same holes needed to make that pulley work, and slips right on to give them the 3 grooves they need. He also said that if the car has PS, that is taken into account also. He then said they already have the necessary mounting bracket for the 352. So if you have a non-AC 352 Squarebird, you should be able to do the CAA or VA AC conversion as along as that Chevy pulley is available and it seems to be readily available. The problem is they do not have it for the 430, and now the mounting bracket AND the WP pulleys are very difficult to be found...

Henry I am certainly keeping you in mind for that mounting bracket, but it is not looking good and this may be the last of the 430 non-AC to AC conversions we see being done.
            Last edited by YellowRose; August 3, 2018, 04:12 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Comment

• OX1
              Super-Experienced
              • Feb 10 2016

Originally posted by YellowRose
              this may be the last of the 430 non-AC to AC conversions we see being done.
              I'm not sure why you keep saying that. I offered several times the avenue of the E-bay Lincoln pump (lines right up with crank and gen pulleys) and used 3rd pulley off 60-64 Lincolns (which is pretty available). Then AC compressor just has to line up with 3rd lincoln pulley.

With the crazy amount of fab work that goes into many of these rides I see on here, not sure why it's insurmountable for many to either fab an AC bracket, or have one done by someone.

If you mean conversion with zero fab work and all factory parts, you may be right.
              59-430-HT

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

AC Bracket for 430?

Yes, Henry, I was speaking of zero fab work and OEM factory parts. There are other routes to go, as you mentioned, if you can find those parts. Like using the Chevy small block short 2 groove water pump pulley that Dwight told me about. Yes, someone with good metal working and welding skills can fab what they need in the way of a mounting bracket.

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

AC Bracket for 430

Rob has just advised me the York mounting bracket XE-48002 arrived today. He pulled his pix that I had sent him of the EDJ-2882-B mounting bracket that Carl and Ken Harkema had sent me pix of and compared them. They are identical! Except for the side L mounting bracket. The one on the XE bracket looks different from the one on the pic of the pic from Ken and Carl. This XE-48002 York mounting bracket was taken off a 1958 AC equipped 430MEL Lincoln, so I gather that XE-48002 is a Lincoln part #... Here are some pix so you can see what both look like...
                  Attached Files

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

430 MEL Engine > AC Bracket for 430?

As an update, I have re-contacted all 2 dozen plus contacts I have regarding the XE-48002 and the EDJ-2882-B York mounting bracket or the pulleys. So far, none have them have been able to find another one. I am still waiting for some answers from some of them.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎