Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charging requirements for electric vehicles.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Charging requirements for electric vehicles.

To fully charge an electric car takes about four hours IF the charging station can provide 40-amps at 230-volts.

That’s serious power… 9,200-watts x 4-hrs = 36.8-Kilowatt/hours.
    After taxes, I’m paying $0.147 per KWH. Times 36.8=$5.41 for a ‘tank’ of power which gets you about 50-miles. That figures to be about 11¢ per mile (which is great).

Here’s the rub:
    A 'smart' charging station must be installed by an electrician for around $2,000 (over the cost of the vehicle). Lower-amp stations may be used, but the charging time suffers. Ex: If you use an existing 20-amp, 115-volt circuit, 16-hours are required for a ‘tank’ of power. Leviton recently introduced a portable charging unit (20-amp, 115-volt) that you can throw in the back seat and take with you.

If everyone comes home from work and plugs-in, there is no way the power company could possibly supply everyone at once. I foresee separate, lower-cost service plans from the power companies, to radio-relay control when your charging station will be active (much like existing A/C and hot water heater plans that use a separate watt-meter).

Going green will mandate many changes in our transportation and utility sectors. Right now, a fifty mile range isn't enough to attract serious commuters, and I don't see employers installing charging stations at two-grand a pop. But, I can't wait until we are totally independent from OPEC oil. - Dave Dare
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Working...
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎