• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kuusamon
    Experienced
    • Feb 14 2009

(spare tire) rim size possibility and head lights

Hello,
    I found the threads on rims etc. My '60 has 4 original rims I believe but no spare wheel. Buying and shipping of an extra wheel as spare tire is heavy and expensive. I might try to look locally (at the junk yard here)to find a wheel that fits on the car and in the boot.
    What other cars, maybe more modern cars, were using simular rims that might fit? original size 14"x5.5 correct, but the bolt pattern etc. which car had a similar mounting layout?
    here a link to a local website about car parts and rims, it has an English language button.

Headlights. my headlights need replacing, are they special only for Tbird or are they still commonly available? where there more modern cars using the same head lamps? anybody know the brand name/code of those lights?

thanks and regards
    ron
    sigpicGreets,
    Ronald
    Kuusamo
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=1741
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Ron,

I can't answer the question about the spare tire. Hopefully, someone else can. I can tell you that, according to the Vintage Thunderbird Club International Official Factory Specifications (OFS), the headlights were either GE or Tung-Sol, and both had their ID mark in the center of the headlight. As to the part number for either light, it does not say. But somewhere on those headlights, it should say, I would think.

I called my local Autozone Auto parts and asked them for information on the high and low beam headlights for a 1960 Tbird. (I could not remember if you had a '59 or a '60, but they should be the same I would think). The headlights they stock are Sylvania. The high beam is Part # H5001. The low beam is H5006. They both cost $8.99 US.

Then I called O'Reilly Auto Parts. They have Wagner headlights. Part #6014 High or Low Beam $4.99 US.

You can google their websites online and check them out. Also bring up Advanced Auto Parts, and NAPA Auto Parts. I hope this helps. Unfortunately, I do not know what the part # on the original lights were. If you have them out, you might be able to find a part number on the backside of the light.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• JohnG
      John
      • Jul 28 2003

The high beam is a dual filament unit while the low beam is single filament. The modern lights of the same diameter will have higher wattage than the original lights provided by Ford (50W high, 37.5 low) as well as being dirt cheap. I have had no trouble walking into auto parts stores and getting Wagner's. I brought my old ones with me.

Suggestion: replace all 4 of them! Then you will have a) better lighting b) uniform lighting and c) not have the old one burning out in the near future. About $20 total for Wagner's. Even better, cut loose for a spare high and a spare low and tuck them away in the gargage.

Rims: do a search and you will find all kinds of info on
      the bolt pattern you need. It is the same for all Fords so finding a rim for the trunk should be easy. I sandblasted one up, painted it black and spent $10 for a used tire of correct size at the local tire dealer
      Last edited by JohnG; January 7, 2010, 10:47 AM.
      1958 Hardtop
      #8452 TBird Registry
      http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
      history:
      http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

Hey Ron,
        On the wheel, go to Ebay and look at item number #250555565731!
        Richard D. Hord

Comment

• RustyNCa
          Super-Experienced
          • May 31 2007

Originally posted by YellowRose
          I can tell you that, according to the Vintage Thunderbird Club International Official Factory Specifications (OFS), the headlights were either GE or Tung-Sol, and both had their ID mark in the center of the headlight. As to the part number for either light, it does not say. But somewhere on those headlights, it should say, I would think.
          Sorry to jack the thread, but I am curious about the headlights. When I purchased the 65 from the original owner I noticed that all the headlights said FoMoCo so I asked him if he had ever changed the lights, he told me not that he could remember.

So in 65 did the car come with lights ID as Ford lights? Not sure if it was a good idea or not, they all still worked so I pulled them and boxed them up assuming they were the original lights for the car.

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Ron,

Here is some information on finding a spare rim that might be of help to you. The original rims were 14x5.5" rims. Or 14x6" and 14x7". The bolt circle is 4.5", lug nuts 1/2-20, zero offset backspacing and rear spacing of 3 3/8". If you can find a rim like that, it should work as a spare for your Tbird. Hope this helps.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
            Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• kuusamon
              Experienced
              • Feb 14 2009

Thank you all for the information.
              Also the info that all fords had the same bold pattern. If I look at the local website here for parts and by ford rims I see that the bolt pattern here is called 5x 114,3 for the ford rim ads.(they are not the ones I want because the are mags or alu.) but just to check the rim size. Found that toyota Hiace has the same bolt pattern and 14" rims, but the other measurements as the spacings are probably not right.
              Yes happy to here about the lights, if you can walk in a common parts store in the U.S. and they have them I might try to visit a large car parts store her and see then if they have them also or can order them locally.
              Great to hear the info.

Special thanks to Ray for making the phone calls!
              Yes I think I will order a whole complete set of exterior lights, flash,tail and head lights and take some spares also, will order them in the U.S. I won't need them soon anyway, same time I saw a complete set of interior light bulbs also, might need them too.

regards
              ron
              Last edited by kuusamon; January 7, 2010, 04:08 PM. Reason: add info
              sigpicGreets,
              Ronald
              Kuusamo

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Ron, if you are going to do a disk brake conversion, you need five wheels that will fit. Original 14" wheels won't fit.

Ron indicated, the container departs for Finland in May. That gives him time to gather parts if they must come from the US.

Ron, wait a couple weeks so we can give you a better answer about wheel fitment over disk brake calipers. If 14" wheels don't make it, 15" will. - Dave
                Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• byersmtrco
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Sep 28 2004

All you need for rims are later model 14's. Anything that came w/disc brakes. Yes, you might need to run a THIN spacer (1/8") depending on your set-up.

A headlight suggestion. Sylvania makes Halogen sealedbeam for motorcycles. Specifically, Harleys. The Harley's also have 7" s/beams.
                  They are universal automotive lamps. The plug is the same. They will work for the outers on our cars. Those halogens are BRIGHT !!!
                  You can also huy one that has the replaceable bulb. They are flat rather than dome shaped. Kind of a custom look (hardly noticeable)

Comment

• kuusamon
                    Experienced
                    • Feb 14 2009

Thanks for all the info,
                    yes to be on the safe side and probably simpler as I understand it, almost any rim, even modern ones will fit as long they have the same ford bolt pattern. I will then look for a 15" rim for the spare and extra rims of the same size as long as I am on the lookout in case I do convert to disk brakes, which I probably will.
                    What I have to watch for also besode the bold pattern is that my hubcaps (originals) will still fit. In Finland there a quite a few U.S. cars, now and in the past, so I will start to visit junkyards for good rims first.

regards
                    ron
                    sigpicGreets,
                    Ronald
                    Kuusamo

Comment

• dgs
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Feb 13 2003

Here in the US, from somewhere around 1940 until the mid 80's, all cars used these 'sealed beam' headlights. There were round and (later) square units and larger single light per side as well as double (like our 'Birds).

So, US cars all used the same lights, unlike the rest of the world, for 40+ years. Not real common anymore, but still readily available here. I would think they wouldn't be hard to get over there either. If nothing else, they aren't heavy so shipping them from here shouldn't be too bad.
                      DGS (aka salguod)
                      1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
                      www.salguod.net

Comment

• kuusamon
                        Experienced
                        • Feb 14 2009

Thanks for that info about the sealed beams.
                        I thought so too that they would be easy to find here, but not the case.
                        I remember living in Wheatridge,Co. a long time ago and those lights were even on the shelves of the local Albertsons/Skags Supermarket.
                        Bought a brand new (U.S) snowblower 4 years back and that one had a wagner sealed beam in it which after it broke, could not find one here.
                        It seems now, after doing some surfing on the net, that sealed beams are not allowed here in Holland and Finland and probably more of the European countries, and therefore not available
                        So I can either order them in the U.S.or try to find replacements. The size for the housing must be then, I believe, 5 3/4 inch and code H1 or H4.
                        Better take the lights out and shop around with them here. My concern is if they fit in the light buckets depending how much more they stick out in the back.

regards
                        ron
                        sigpicGreets,
                        Ronald
                        Kuusamo

Comment

• DKheld
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Aug 27 2008

Ron,

......almost any rim, even modern ones will fit as long they have the same ford bolt pattern....

95% of the rims I saw on the web link you posted were for front wheel drive cars - figured you know but thought I would mention they might fit but will be totally wrong in spacing. FWD wheels are convex shaped (when comparing the bolt location to the outside rim) - our Tbird wheels are slightly concave using the same comparison. I did see a set of 14 inch styled steel wheels from a late 60's mustang - those might work but you would be taking a chance that they would fit the discs. The hubcap on a styled steel wheel could be a problem - may not have the edge needed. You mentioned that you would want to use your stock hubcaps - they are designed for 14 inch wheels so didn't understand when you said you would keep an eye out for 15 inch wheels. Doubt you would find a 15 inch wheel that will accept a 14 inch hubcap. I used mid 70's 14 inch Ford LTD wheels on my Granada disc conversion - original hubcaps work fine. I went with 14 inch wheels because I had just bought a set of new 14 inch tires and didn't want to have to buy another set of tires.

Another option is a set of 14 inch Kelsy Hayes Wire wheels. Listed on ebay all the time for around $1200 US for a set of 4. Not sure if they would work on the disc conversion depending on which conversion you use. If they did work on your conversion that would also solve the hubcap problem even if you had to use 15 inch wire wheels.

Since they are so hard to find there you actually only need 3 steel wheels keeping 2 original drum wheels on the rear (unless you are converting the rear to disc brakes). 2 disc wheels for the front and 1 disc spare - the disc spare will work on the rear drum. That is how I did mine - only drawback is that you cannot rotate the tires for tirewear without removing them from the wheels - how often will it be driven?

Eric
                          registry 5347

Comment

• Dutchbird
                            Experienced

• Dec 20 2005

Originally posted by kuusamon
                            Thanks for that info about the sealed beams. I thought so too that they would be easy to find here, but not the case.
                            It seems now, after doing some surfing on the net, that sealed beams are not allowed here in Holland and Finland and probably more of the European countries, and therefore not available.
                            So I can either order them in the U.S.or try to find replacements. The size for the housing must be then, I believe, 5 3/4 inch and code H1 or H4.
                            Better take the lights out and shop around with them here. My concern is if they fit in the light buckets depending how much more they stick out in the back.

regards
                            ron
                            Hi Ronald,

I'm the second owner of my Bird here in Europe (so I didn't change the headlights myself) but I know the original ones are not allowed!!!
                            You don't get any permission to registrate/drive your car here with original sealed beams from the US.
                            As far as I know my headlights are from Hella, I'll let you know ASAP exactly what type.....

Comment

• Dutchbird
                              Experienced

• Dec 20 2005

Hi Ronald,

Did some research for you this afternoon on the car, as I still didn't found the boxes with the type-number of my 'Hella' headlights yet. Wouldn't let you wait that long, so took a screwdriver and camera:
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎