X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcomo
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 23 2005

Exhaust Manifold Gasket

Has anyone used the high tech type of manifold gaskets made out of thick 1/8" carbon material on a 430? These are supposed to make up for any low spots.

The original type thin sheet metal gaskets seem to leak very slightly, and I have a chance to switch them now. The Fel-Pro gaskets are 1/2 asbestos and 1/2 metal, but I've never used those either.

Can anyone give some recommendations on what has worked or not worked?

Thanks
    Bart
    1960 Hard Top/430
    Thunderbird Registry Number 1231
  • tbird430
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 18 2007

Bart did u have ur exhaust manifolds surfaced or trued?
    sigpic
    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• bcomo
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 23 2005

No. That would have meant removing 4 studs from each manifold. The shop didn't really want to get involved in broken manifold studs, and I kind of agree.

They weren't leaking when I brought the engine in. All that I hear now is a slight leak from the small head pipe gasket itself.

These are the hi-tech carbon ones that I found for the 430. I think they are like the No-Blow, but Im not sure.

They say "Guaranteed not to leak". http://www.remflex.com/exclusive_features.htm
      Last edited by bcomo; April 29, 2008, 03:03 PM.
      Bart
      1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

Heres a re-post from a thread by Alaxender,
        If you do a search on this message board, you will see this topic has come up at least a dozen times before. The exhaust manifolds tend to warp and corrode over time, preventing a gasketless seal against the head.

Re-posted from an earlier thread:

I have also had problems chronically with leaky exhaust manifold gaskets. They always manage to leak at the mating surface to the head. I have also tried header type gaskets, which seal better than the stock gaskets, but tend to blow after they dry and harden. The best solution I found is to use copper exhaust gaskets. These can be obtained for the big block Ford from JC Whitney http://www.jcwhitney.com/ . They are SCE Pro Copper gaskets, JC Whitney part #81DL4478W. They are listed as fitting FE engines from 61-71, but they do fit the 58-60, since they fit on my 1959. They will never leak or blow. After about a year of oxidation, they have the almost the same color as stock gaskets.
        Bob's Bird House http://www.bobsbirdhouse.com/ also sells a grey colored thick high tech gasket set. It worked for a friend's Squarebird.

Comment

• bcomo
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 23 2005

I saw that, and checked Bobs B'House and Whitney --

Not for the 430. These are the only ones that I found so far.
          Bart
          1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎