X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sunnybob
    Apprentice
    • Jan 29 2012

1960 352 FE engine: Belts with A/C?

Hello, it's me again and I would like to ask how many belts do I need with 352 FE engine and air conditioning (3?), their size and a diagram of how they should work, please.

Thank you so much.

Roberto
    Lake cruisers

Hey Roberto,
    Welcome! See if this helps.
    Richard D. Hord
    Attached Files

Comment

• sunnybob
      Apprentice
      • Jan 29 2012

Richard, it helps a lot!! Thank you so much. Roberto
      Lake cruisers

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by Richard D. Hord

See if this helps.

Richard D. Hord
        Mr. Hord-

Is there anyway the image can be enhanced? It is not very clear (too light). Was this diagram from an AC kit of the period?

Comment

• sunnybob
          Apprentice
          • Jan 29 2012

I just installed an used but working A/C compressor and the strange thing is its pulley is aligned with the central alley of the fan pulley That's why I asked about the belts...
          Lake cruisers

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

1960 352 FE engine: Belts with A/C?

I took that pic to Photoshop and darkened it some. I could clean it up a bit in the areas around the engine, but mainly he just needs to see the belt set up. Here is the pic.
            Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
            Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Astrowing
              Experienced
              • Jul 22 2009

The '58's are done differently, so you probably do need to ensure what year pulleys and accessories you are using. My generator and AC belt both wrap around the water pump which has a double pulley. If I don't run the AC belt, and I lose the generator belt, I lose engine cooling on my '58.
              sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• DKheld
                Super-Experienced
                • Aug 27 2008

I'm glad you asked about this - been fooling with mine for a year + now. I've been adding A/C to a car that did not have it originally and trying to make it as it would have been installed from the dealer.

Notice in the shop manual pic - the power steering pump does not have a belt.

I had one belt on the back grove of the crank driving the water pump and generator and the front grove driving the p/s (normal non A/C config). I found and used the factory A/C pulley for my conversion (COAE - 8509 - A). Although I didn't have the A/C belt on it would have gone from the water pump front grove to the A/C compressor. This would mean the rear crank grove would be driving the water pump, fan and A/C compressor. With that set up (and a newer flex fan) the extra resistance from just the flex fan ruined the damper. It separated the rubber from the pulley. That makes me think it is important to have 2 belts on the crank pulley as in the pic and possibly the PS pump has an add on pulley on the crank and a different one on the pump. The front pulley is solid (no damper) so that would help drive the fan, A/C and generator.

Here's what I had.

So I thought about running the 2nd belt (yellow) from the crank to the generator by adding a hard to find 2 belt pulley to the generator and up to the water pump.

But then you don't have a grove for the p/s pump and you can't run a long belt all the way around from the crank and generator because the 2 belts would be moving at different speeds (since the p/s pump pulley is a different size than the generator pulley).

That's what makes me think the p/s pump has a different add on pulley to the crank and a different pulley on the pump to move it out. (I'm pretty sure the p/s pulley numbers are different for A/C and non A/C - Might be able to move the p/s pump out with new longer bolts and shims but I gave up for the winter)

Hope you get it figured out.

Eric

Comment

• sunnybob
                  Apprentice
                  • Jan 29 2012

Thank you for your advices....

First thing. The seller who gave me the used A/C compressor told me it was on 1960 Tbird.

Then about the pulleys..

Mine now si very close to Dkheld Diagram

But I have 2 yellow belts (generator has 2 groves pulley) and the PS belt goes to Crank only... It seems working but the blue belt is not perfectly aligned, there is a difference of about half a centimeter (0.3 inches).
                  Lake cruisers

Comment

• partsetal
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jun 4 2005

The original compressor bracket has slotted holes to permit adjustment and should easily allow for .3 inches of movement of the compressor.
                    Carl

Comment

• DKheld
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Aug 27 2008

sunnybob - sounds like you have the right belt configuration now but possibly the wrong clutch on the compressor. If you can post a pic of your clutch I'm sure one of the guys can tell you if it is the right one. Carl Heller (partsetal) would probably have a good used one if the one you have is not correct. Sounds like you are closer to getting yours completed than I am !!!

Carl - sharp eyes - yes - my A/C mounting bracket is a Mapco aftermarket from the '60's. I'll have to shim the compressor to adjust the belt tension or may be able to use the belt tensioner that came with the bracket. Looks like the tensioner might make the belt interfere with the overflow tank though - just my luck.

Eric

Comment

• sunnybob
                        Apprentice
                        • Jan 29 2012

You can see the compressor I bought here http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-Ford-Th...p2047675.l2557

I suppose to have the original bracket and I have a wide adjustment in side by side direction (need it for belt regolation) but the adjusment in front/rear is near to nothing... and I already use that nothing
                        Lake cruisers

Comment

• partsetal
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Jun 4 2005

I should have added to my post that the bracket might be shimmed to the block to get that needed adjustment in addition to the slotted holes. The clutch looks correct for the '60.
                          Sunnybob-do you use a straightedge laid across the pulleys to determine alinement, this gives a better result that the 'calibrated eyeball'. Can you provide a picture of the water pump pulley? This was different on the '60 than the one used in 58-9.
                          Carl

Comment

• DKheld
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Aug 27 2008

About the only other thing I can think of is if the water pump was changed at the same time you were doing the air conditioning addition maybe you got a water pump shaft that is too short?

For example the 352 truck water pump has a different length shaft than the 352 passenger car (longer I think). If its the same water pump that was on there when you started then sounds like you will have to do the shimming of the A/C bracket as Carl suggests.

My aftermarket Mapco bracket did come with a few shims that I had to move around and find the right location to make it all line up. It had a few longer bolts too for those positions that used the shims. The shims fit between the bracket, the block and the water pump.

Here is my water pump pulley that I believe is correct for the 1960 352 engine - is this what you have? I believe the earlier cars had only a 2 groove pulley on the water pump.

Carl is that correct?

Original water pump pulley on the left , A/C 3 groove on the right

Another view.

Something else I ran into was that the original fan spacer did not fit the A/C pulley. Not only was it too long but the hole was too small. I found a replacement spacer at Summit Racing - Flex-a-lite 876. This view shows a spacer that I tried off a later model Lincoln - had the right size hole for the A/C pulley but it was too long.

Eric

Comment

• partsetal
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Jun 4 2005

The pulley shown is correct for the 1960 352. I wasn't aware that it needed a different spacer, but it is obvious when you look at this pulley.
                              Carl

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎